none
File shares / Volumes RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I hope someone can help with a confusion I have over backing up file shares / volumes.

I have a server which houses the data for 1400+ students at our school. Each student access their data by mapping a hidden share on the server. i.e. \\nas1\jbloggs$

My question is - when selecting to backup a share on DPM2010, are you backing up the share information [location, permissions etc.] or the data within that share.

If I select to backup all my shares [1400+] and the volume on which the data is stored [E:] am I backing up the data twice?

Thank you for any help.

Martin Robson.

Network Manager, William Howard School.

Friday, July 23, 2010 8:54 AM

Answers

• When any share is backed-up using the sharename, only the contents of the file share are backed-up but not the location of the share and its permissions or any other metadata. As there is no provision for this in DPM, one work-around for this is to dump these settings in (using net share command) to a file and back-up this file so that when you need it later you can re-create the shares by writing a script.

Coming to share selection and also selecting its volume do not result in backing them up twice, as DPM is aware of the contents of share and where they are coming from.

Thanks, Praveen D [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, July 23, 2010 11:48 AM

All replies

• When any share is backed-up using the sharename, only the contents of the file share are backed-up but not the location of the share and its permissions or any other metadata. As there is no provision for this in DPM, one work-around for this is to dump these settings in (using net share command) to a file and back-up this file so that when you need it later you can re-create the shares by writing a script.

Coming to share selection and also selecting its volume do not result in backing them up twice, as DPM is aware of the contents of share and where they are coming from.

Thanks, Praveen D [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, July 23, 2010 11:48 AM
  • Thanks, that's really useful.

Is it recomended to backup by volume, by share or by selecting both.

At present I've selected both, but it rather fills the console with 1400+ shares on the server. Are there any advantages to selecting both?

Martin.

Friday, July 23, 2010 12:58 PM