none
Wrong IP address for clients in WSUS RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

as the title suggests, I have two clients reporting a wrong IP address in WSUS. I am sure that both had the right one some time ago. So, my first question is: may this lead to some issues or not?

Secondly, for one client I run the following some days ago:

wuauclt /resetauthorization /reportnow

but WSUS continues to show the wrong IP address. Any suggestion?

Thank you.

Riccardo

Sunday, November 25, 2018 8:55 PM

All replies

• So a little about your commands (and I know you didn't use the /detectnow, but I thought I'd throw that into play).

/detectnow is deprecated and does not work in Windows 10. Windows 10 has replaced it with: PowerShell.exe (New-Object -ComObject Microsoft.Update.AutoUpdate).DetectNow() or UsoClient.exe StartScan

/reportnow has a special use case and doesn't do anything at any other points in time unless it's within this use case (after /detectnow runs, there's a 20 minute 'cool down' period before it reports back to the WSUS Server. If /reportnow is run within this 20 minute period AND there is something flagged to report, it will report immediately. Otherwise, the detection process will report after 20 minutes regardless - so this is basically useless in almost all cases).

As for the IP - what happens if you delete the computer from the WSUS Console and let it re-appear - does it pull the right IP then? You may need to run the following client side script from an Admin Command prompt on the affected client machines. It works for Win7+

net stop bits
    net stop wuauserv
    reg delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate" /v AccountDomainSid /f
    reg delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate" /v PingID /f
    reg delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate" /v SusClientId /f
    reg delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate" /v SusClientIDValidation /f
    rd /s /q "C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution"
    net start bits
    net start wuauserv
    wuauclt /resetauthorization /detectnow
    PowerShell.exe (New-Object -ComObject Microsoft.Update.AutoUpdate).DetectNow()

Adam Marshall, MCSE: Security
    https://www.ajtek.ca
    Microsoft MVP - Windows and Devices for IT

Sunday, November 25, 2018 10:16 PM
  • Hello Riccardo,

It would be very helpful if you could provide some screenshots about your issue. If you have no right to post image here, you could upload them to the onedrive or others and paste the link here. 

Based on my experience, the address displayed may be your proxy/router address, or other net node/component located between the WSUS and client. You should review your network architecture to find out what this address represents, because WSUS commonly does not display a completely unrelated address.

In summary, it should be related to your network settings. However, it may not means something wrong. Could your clients get updates from WSUS correctly? If yes, you may ignore it as well.

Hope my answer could help you and look forward to your feedback.

Best Regards,
    Ray

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 26, 2018 1:43 AM
  • Hello Riccardo,

It would be very helpful if you could provide some screenshots about your issue. If you have no right to post image here, you could upload them to the onedrive or others and paste the link here. 

Based on my experience, the address displayed may be your proxy/router address, or other net node/component located between the WSUS and client. You should review your network architecture to find out what this address represents, because WSUS commonly does not display a completely unrelated address.

In summary, it should be related to your network settings. However, it may not means something wrong. Could your clients get updates from WSUS correctly? If yes, you may ignore it as well.

Hope my answer could help you and look forward to your feedback.

Best Regards,
    Ray

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Hello Ray,

I did not think it was an issue, but something abnormal (at least in my mind). For instance, I cannot understand why those computer should show the router's IP address instead of the machine itself.

However, I have 4 computers listed in the WSUS console:

- the server where WSUS is running is a virtualization of Windows Server 2016 in a Synology NAS: computer IP correctly reported, the only one to be shown correctly;

- two physical computers: a laptop and a desktop; both clients are reported in the WSUS console with IP address of Synology NAS, which acts as DHCP server;

- a Windows 10 virtual machine within my desktop pc: the client is shown with IP address of Synology NAS.

Thank you.

Thursday, May 23, 2019 9:43 AM