none
IE-8 Favorites, unable to import file from Win. Explorer RRS feed

• Question

• Running Vista with IE-8 I can't import the Favorites list from its location in Win. Explorer to the Favorites box in IE-8.

Following the H&S instructions I can get as far as the Import/Export Settings dialog box that asks: "Where do you want to import your favorites from?"  The file name that appears in the search bar by default is C:\Users\Amy\Documents\bookmark.htm.  Amy was the name of the prior owner of the computer.  However, when I click Next, an Import Favorites dialog box appears with Please Enter a Valid File Name.

If I choose Browse in the Import/Export Settings dialog box, instead of Next, Windows Explorer comes up of course in a dialog box labeled: Select Bookmark File.  In the File Name bar at the bottom of the window, the default file: bookmark.htm, appears.

I can easily locate the file I want in the left column Folders section of the window.  It's located under Desktop/John/Favorites/Favorites.  When this file is selected in the left column the right column shows all the files that I had saved from my Favorites list into my Favorites folder before I transfered the files from the prior computer to this one.  When I select this file in the left column, in the path/address bar at the top appears a folder icon then >John>Favorites>Favorites>.  But the File Name bar at the bottom still shows: bookmark.htm.  Typing John/Favorites/Favorites into the File Name bar at the bottom returns a Select Bookmark File dialog box that says: The File Name is Not Valid.

I have noticed that when I click on the file icon in the path/address bar at the top, C:\Users\Amy\Favorites\Favorites, appears replacing the >John>Favorites>Favorites>.  When I type the C: file name into the File Name box at the bottom and click Open, nothing at all happens.  Nothing changes on the window and new windows appear.

Item 5 on the appropriate H&S page says:

By default, Internet Explorer imports from a file called bookmark.htm in your Documents folder, but you can tell it to import favorites that are saved under another name. Click Browse and select a file, or type a location and file name to import, or click Next to accept the default.

Item 6 says:

Select the folder where you want to place the imported favorites, and then click Import.

But there is no "Import" button to click on that page in the Select Bookmark File dialog box, only Open or Cancel buttons.  And the Open button does nothing when I get to that point.

For information: When I changed computers I saved my Favorites to the Favorites file in Windows Explorer, saved all of my files from the old HP computer to my Dell via the in-home wireless network, then when I set up this newer HP and network I downloaded them to this newer one.  For whatever that's worth.  The process seemed to work fine, at least I can view all my files in Win. Explorer.

Anyone have a clue what's wrong here?  I'll appreciate the help.

Monday, February 14, 2011 6:37 AM

Answers

• I thank you for attempting to help me.  Perhaps I seemed better versed than I am, but I have no idea what the instruction means:

"Run...  (press Win-R and enter:)

shell:Favorites

Could you elaborate for me?  I don't know what 'Win-R' refers to, or what to do with "Run...", and "shell:Favorites".  As for the rest...well, I only have a vague idea.

Hi, avistanovice,

It means click Start, input “run”(without quotation) in the search bar,  then press the Enter key. (Or press Windows key and R at the same time)

Then in the opened Run windows, input “shell:favorites”, click OK.

Like following:

Regards,

Miya

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by windows7novice Wednesday, February 16, 2011 4:41 AM
    Wednesday, February 16, 2011 2:43 AM

All replies

• Anyone have a clue what's wrong here?

Find out where Shell Folders Favorites is pointing.   E.g.  Run...  (press Win-R and enter:)

That opens an Explorer window.  Assuming you have an Address bar configured for it you can see the full path with  Alt-d.

If that's where you expect your Favorites to be try creating a new .url file (aka Internet Shortcut) there and see if you can see it.   Then if you can't see others in that directory it's likely that you have permission problem with them.   Tip:  you could use  icacls.exe  in an elevated cmd window to see things that you otherwise might not be able to see.

If you have some other .url files in another directory that you want copied into that Favorites directory, just copy them there, again, assuming that there is no permissions problem with that procedure.   If you don't have a  bookmark.htm  file you can't use the Import command.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Monday, February 14, 2011 4:11 PM
  • Robert,

I thank you for attempting to help me.  Perhaps I seemed better versed than I am, but I have no idea what the instruction means:

Could you elaborate for me?  I don't know what 'Win-R' refers to, or what to do with "Run...", and "shell:Favorites".  As for the rest...well, I only have a vague idea.

Tuesday, February 15, 2011 5:23 AM
  • I thank you for attempting to help me.  Perhaps I seemed better versed than I am, but I have no idea what the instruction means:

Hi, avistanovice,

It means click Start, input “run”(without quotation) in the search bar,  then press the Enter key. (Or press Windows key and R at the same time)

Then in the opened Run windows, input “shell:favorites”, click OK.

Like following:

Regards,

Miya

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by windows7novice Wednesday, February 16, 2011 4:41 AM
    Wednesday, February 16, 2011 2:43 AM