Lync 2010 - troubles with interactive response group RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I have a Lync 2010 environment with a signle front-end, edge and mediation servers - the mediation server uses a supported SIP trunk to a external provider.

All incoming and outgoing calls are working correctly - however, i am having trouble with a response group.

I have created an interactive response group with some basic options - allocated a sip and E164 compliant number to it - but whenever i try and call the number from a lync client i get the error "operation was unsuccesful" - and if i click on the error for more detail - "The calling service did not respond. Wait and then try again"

There does not appear to be any errors server side - and as yet, i havent found anything that indicates that anything i wrong. Is someone able to suggest how i might go about troubleshhoting this issue ?

Sunday, March 27, 2011 7:32 AM

Answers

• Hi Ben,

Please open the Lync logging tool on the server and get a SIP Stack trace (all info/flags) of an attempted call.  Once you have done this you can analyze the capture with snooper from the Lync Res Kit here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=80cc5ce7-970d-4fd2-8731-d5d7d0829266.

This should give you some good information. 

Also check that the number gets normalized into the same E.164 format from the client.  You can also try calling the SIP address of the response group from a client as a test.

Hope this helps!

-kp

Kevin Peters blog: www.ocsguy.com MVP Communications Server, MCITP: Enterprise Administration | MCTS:OCS | MCSE | MCSA | CCNA
    • Marked as answer by Ben_22 Sunday, March 27, 2011 8:54 PM
    Sunday, March 27, 2011 3:29 PM
  • Hey Kevin,

Thanks for the reply.

The issue does occur whether calling the normalised number or via Lync Call....

From the trace, the following error seems to stick out

$$begin_record
    LogType: connection
    Severity: error
    Text: Failed to complete outbound connection
    Peer-IP: 192.168.0.81:5071
    Peer-FQDN: im01.company.com

Connection-ID: 0x151100
    Transport: TLS
    Result-Code: 0x8007274d WSAECONNREFUSED
    Data: fqdn="im01.company.com";peer-type="InternalServer";winsock-code="10061"
    $$end_record

it appears as if the call is trying to be routed externally - but im a bit confused as to why... i upped the logging for the RGS as well and got

Component: RgsClientsLib
    Level: TL_ERROR
    Flag: TF_COMPONENT
    Function: MatchMakingLocator.GetActiveInstanceFromDB
    Source: matchmakinglocator.cs(479)
    Local Time: 03/28/2011-07:15:19.079
    Sequence# : 0000E835
    CorrelationId :
    ThreadId : 168C
    ProcessId : 1684
    CpuId : 0
    Original Log Entry :
    TL_ERROR(TF_COMPONENT) [0]1684.168C::03/27/2011-20:45:19.079.0000e835 (RgsClientsLib,MatchMakingLocator.GetActiveInstanceFromDB:matchmakinglocator.cs(479))(00000000006270EB)No instance registered as the active instance!

While im not very experineced at this - that would seem to indicate the response group hasnt registered.... however if, from the lync client, i go to my response group settings, the response group is listed and active.

ahhh and i just found the cause. While looking at services, i re-ran setup as i noticed i had not yet removed my co-located mediation server. When i did this, i noticed that RGS.msi was being installed as well. I never even though that the RGS wanst installed until after creating your first RGS and running setup again. Beginner mistake.

Sorry for wasting your time! Is now working fine.

Sunday, March 27, 2011 8:54 PM

All replies

• Hi Ben,

Please open the Lync logging tool on the server and get a SIP Stack trace (all info/flags) of an attempted call.  Once you have done this you can analyze the capture with snooper from the Lync Res Kit here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=80cc5ce7-970d-4fd2-8731-d5d7d0829266.

This should give you some good information. 

Also check that the number gets normalized into the same E.164 format from the client.  You can also try calling the SIP address of the response group from a client as a test.

Hope this helps!

-kp

Kevin Peters blog: www.ocsguy.com MVP Communications Server, MCITP: Enterprise Administration | MCTS:OCS | MCSE | MCSA | CCNA
    Sunday, March 27, 2011 3:29 PM
  • Hey Kevin,

Thanks for the reply.

The issue does occur whether calling the normalised number or via Lync Call....

From the trace, the following error seems to stick out

$$begin_record
    LogType: connection
    Severity: error
    Text: Failed to complete outbound connection
    Peer-IP: 192.168.0.81:5071
    Peer-FQDN: im01.company.com

Connection-ID: 0x151100
    Transport: TLS
    Result-Code: 0x8007274d WSAECONNREFUSED
    Data: fqdn="im01.company.com";peer-type="InternalServer";winsock-code="10061"
    $$end_record

it appears as if the call is trying to be routed externally - but im a bit confused as to why... i upped the logging for the RGS as well and got

Component: RgsClientsLib
    Level: TL_ERROR
    Flag: TF_COMPONENT
    Function: MatchMakingLocator.GetActiveInstanceFromDB
    Source: matchmakinglocator.cs(479)
    Local Time: 03/28/2011-07:15:19.079
    Sequence# : 0000E835
    CorrelationId :
    ThreadId : 168C
    ProcessId : 1684
    CpuId : 0
    Original Log Entry :
    TL_ERROR(TF_COMPONENT) [0]1684.168C::03/27/2011-20:45:19.079.0000e835 (RgsClientsLib,MatchMakingLocator.GetActiveInstanceFromDB:matchmakinglocator.cs(479))(00000000006270EB)No instance registered as the active instance!

While im not very experineced at this - that would seem to indicate the response group hasnt registered.... however if, from the lync client, i go to my response group settings, the response group is listed and active.

ahhh and i just found the cause. While looking at services, i re-ran setup as i noticed i had not yet removed my co-located mediation server. When i did this, i noticed that RGS.msi was being installed as well. I never even though that the RGS wanst installed until after creating your first RGS and running setup again. Beginner mistake.

Sorry for wasting your time! Is now working fine.

Sunday, March 27, 2011 8:54 PM