none
DPM 2010 Detailed Inventory RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Before our overnight backups run I have to go into the Libraries Management and manually start a "Detailed Inventory" otherwise DPM 2010 doesn't see the Tapes as being expired and will not overwrite them. I rescheduled the maintenence job to run an inventory prior to the backup start time using:

Set-MaintenanceJobStartTime -DPMServerName servername -MaintenanceJob LibraryInventory -StartTime 17:00

This runs a detailed inventory but does produce a couple of warnings relating to the 2 Tapes. For Example:

"Detailed Inventory is not performed on the tape Servers Exchange Online-LT-Daily-00000257 as it is already known to this DPM server. (ID 24033)"

If I then manually run a Detailed Inventory the Tapes are seen as expired. Is there a way to have this done automatically?

Thanks.

Friday, May 18, 2012 8:20 AM

Answers

• Hi,

The tapes do not need to show expired in the GUI before DPM can reuse a tape.  Every backup job that runs looks at each piece of media that is in the library and looks to see if it has any non-expired recovery points and will skip it if it does. 

If you are using a 7 tape rotation with a 1 week retention, the tapes cannot be used for the next scheduled backup because the data set on the tape may not yet be expired (it may be just a few minutes away from expiring).  This is an intermittent problem because the expiry date / time on the tape is so close to the next scheduled backup that it’s possible to reuse the tape sometimes, and other times not.

We have a fix ready for this and will be included in the next DPM 2010 / 2012 rollups. 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, May 18, 2012 3:57 PM