none
Create a Protection group for sharepoint from a non-WFE server (configuresharepoint.exe run on an AS server) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

SharePoint 2010 + DPM 2010, on dmz. All the sources I've found say that the ConfigureSharepoint.exe utility must be run "on the WFE server". In our platform, we have several WFE servers, on more than one dmz, and several Application Servers on other dmz. Things would be easier to configure if we create the protection group on one of the AS, instead of the WFE.

Question(s):

-Is it possible to run the configuresharepoint.exe utility on an AS, and then create the sharepoint protection group on that server, instead of on a WFE?

-Do ALL the servers of the farm need to be inter-connected (thus open ports thru firewalls) in order to perform a DPM sharepoint backup?

Thanks

Roberto

Monday, July 11, 2011 8:20 AM

All replies

• Hi Roberto,

Did you have this issue resolved?

Thanks, Wilson Souza - MSFT This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Wednesday, December 28, 2011 8:11 AM
  • well, sort of.

It seems that the DPM agent looks for HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Web Server Extensions\14\Version on the local registry. this key is not present on the application server (at least on our farm) so the agent does not consider to have SharePoint installed. I created manually this key, restarted the server, and then I was able to see sharepoint from dpm.

I guess this is not a supported way to do things, but it worked. Eventually we did not need to run things this way as we finally got network access to the frontends. but it worked, and there did not seem to be necessary to be all the server inter-connected...

regards

Monday, January 9, 2012 7:53 AM