Microsoft PLEASE bring back GAMEPORT MIDI USAGE!! RRS feed

• General discussion

• okay well apparently they have disabled GAMEPORT for favour of USB devices, but what about us music producers, I have upgraded to vista and do not have use of my MIDI Keyboards with my audio software.........been like this for a few weeks now........

So what did i do?

I went out and purchased a USB to MIDI cable.........and guess what? VISTA DOESNT SUPPORT IT!

PLEASE BRING BACK GAMEPORT SUPPORT! Microsoft are shooting themselves in the foot here by doing this in my honest opinion, most of my audio producing friends are staying well clear of vista just becuase of the NON GAMEPORT support! I think at least we should have to option wether to use the gameport or not, or at least bring out a patch so it will enable it for people like me.

either that or start looking into supporting MIDI USB cables properly!

regards,

Zorgan

Tuesday, March 13, 2007 2:23 AM

All replies

• I have got a whell which can only plug on gameport and why Vista supports PS2 ports or series/parallels ports but not gameport ...
    As zorgan said:
    PLEASE bring backgameport support for all people!
    Monday, March 19, 2007 7:39 PM
  • I do not understand why Microsoft decided Gameport not to be supported in Windows Vista any longer... Is there any solution to this problem (besides Gameport-USB hardware adaptor), e.g. external Gameport driver or software Gameport-to-USB emulator?

Moreover, at least Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor should inform about this issue, but it does not.

Tuesday, March 20, 2007 5:12 PM
  • Well Said Some1!!!

I did like your idea, option to use an emulator Smile but the fact is why the hell should we have too? and put up with un-installed devices on a NEW TECHNOLOGY OS? support is the key word these days with most hardware and software vendors, i mean yes yes our support is that great this and that well........

here is the laydown...........we must find a way to be heard, I`m sure i`m not the only one in this boat......

POINT 1

Every Windows Microsoft have brought out they have made a total t*ts up with it in some shape or form........

isint the trend these days to beable to improve software making it BACKWARD compatible??

POINT 2

Why upgrade your system when you have to deal with a DEVICE MANAGER with such a common and simple device deactivated?

sitting in Device Manager is a BIG RED X

Or a BIG YELLOW "!"

POINT 3

THE MICROSOFT EMPLOYEE WHO MADE THE DECISION TO DISABLE GAMEPORT SUPPORT SHOULD BE SACKED! Apparently it was disabled to free up CPU? I MEAN WHAT KIND OF CPU IS THAT GOING TO TAKE? 0000000000.1% these days?

If it`s such a deal at least let us make up our minds if we want to enable it or not?

it`s just such a silly move for them to make and I am now putting my copy of vista on ebay Stick out tongue where it belongs.

Wednesday, March 28, 2007 12:43 PM
  • I would like to add to this discussion too.  I have a M$ force feedback wheel which I spent a lot of money on and bought Vista Ultimate recently, only to find out that it doesn't support the Wheel only because of the gameport connector.  By the lack of a response here from M$, I'm assuming I have two choices:

Spend up big and get a new wheel (with USB connector),

Or sell Vista and use a real OS like Linux... or an older one like XP, really made the upgrade worthwhile, I think M$ have really done themselves a disservice with the release of Vista (It REALLY sucks big time, it might look good, but it would be better if it worked).

Either way, M$ have just proven again, that they care more about profit than the average user...  This is a shame because generally I have supported M$.

Sunday, April 1, 2007 10:33 PM
  • Some other points,

what i find most mis-leading is the fact the Vista Upgrade Advisor did not mention anything about my gameport being uncompatible with vista, this is VERY misleading!

they must take responsiblilty!

Allan you have a good point about Micosoft being very quiet about this issue, they have not said much to back themselves up.

I can see why your upset spending all the money you did on your gameport device, my musical keyboard were a fortune and the software..........

I have re-installed XP now and spent ages having to setup my system again.

It`s a good job i knew how to do it as i would feel sorry for those who dont and have to pay a computer company to do so once there system gets messed up with vista.

Versions of vista should look like this IMO

Vista Ultimate (BETA) (BECUASE WE HAVE NOT DEVELOPED IT ENOUGH FOR THE GAMEPORT TO WORK or Maybe we just can`t be bothered)

Vista Enterprise (BETA) (BECUASE WE HAVE NOT DEVELOPED IT ENOUGH FOR THE GAMEPORT TO WORK or Maybe we just can`t be bothered)

Vista Business (BETA) (BECUASE WE HAVE NOT DEVELOPED IT ENOUGH FOR THE GAMEPORT TO WORK or Maybe we just can`t be bothered)

Vista Home Premium (BETA) (BECUASE WE HAVE NOT DEVELOPED IT ENOUGH FOR THE GAMEPORT TO WORK or Maybe we just can`t be bothered)

Vista Home Basic (BETA) (BECUASE WE HAVE NOT DEVELOPED IT ENOUGH FOR THE GAMEPORT TO WORK or Maybe we just can`t be bothered)

Monday, April 2, 2007 12:15 PM
  • A guy at Creative Labs forums created a Gameport Support Pack for Vista.

Tried it and really works:

http://forums.creative.com/creativelabs/board/message?board.id=Vista&message.id=13336

Note: this is for Vista x86 (32-bit) only.

Thursday, April 5, 2007 11:21 PM
  • Great news! But I'm still waiting for solution for Windows Vista 64-bit. I hope it isn't impossible since AFAIK even Windows XP x64 doesn't support gameport-connected game controllers.
    Friday, April 6, 2007 10:55 PM
  • Hello Guys, good news ! Have a look to the following link :

http://forums.creative.com/creativelabs/board/message?board.id=Vista&message.id=13336

Great work from Creative!

Note: I had to run gameport.cpl to run the gameport controller as described in step 2. Using the control panel did not work.

Give it a try!

Friday, April 20, 2007 8:33 PM
  • The same is written two posts above...

But there is no solution for Windows Vista 64-bit.

Saturday, April 21, 2007 8:49 PM
  • GamePort support is the basic need of many hardcore players!

Return it back, please...

My case study:

I have 4 wonderfull controllers "Microsoft Sidewinder Gamepad", which were expensive, but very good, indestructible and in the time of Win98 it supports connection up to 4 into one gameport and all 11 buttons were working!!! Excelent device, precisious movement, fitting contruction. Much more better then X-Box controller now!

I play mainly on them, they are simply the best. (arcade profi leader shooting games tournaments)

Microsoft also release USB version later. I have 3 of this, but it cannot be compared at all!

USB Microsoft Sidewinder Gamepad is autoinstalled, and so we can tell "supported". BUT the precisioun of the moving pad is poor, and the worst is, that the movement is about 1/3 seccond delayed! Original M$ driver - oh, my god :-(

Although I have these USB MS Sidewinder Gamepads I use them rarely. On my notebook only. But the result game is not for any records. Only with precisious real time movement can I play shooting games at the tournament.

I have tried 3 different devices for USB---to--Gameport converting, but no one work with my Sidewinders :-(

M$ now damage all the good he had done. Windows XP will stop selling this summer, VISTA is preffered. For M$, not for many of us. VISTA is a great mistake as Windows Millenium was...

I like feature in VISTA, but the support, hardware degrading and others hard mistakes not allow me to use them. I hate them. DRM is not the reason, DRM is needed. But for example gameport support, legendary SBLive! support and many many others devices (which are not so old like ISA component) MUST be supported!!! It is a basic OS need a M$ should realise it. Because I did not said VISTA "Wow" but "bye" :-/

Tuesday, April 1, 2008 3:13 PM
  • I find myself in the same boat and it's very sad.  I need my 15 pin game port adapter to work on my Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS card, and found out that Vista 64 bit doesn't support it.  I found out too late however as I bought the operating system.  If I had thought that this this basic, and vital piece of hardware wouldn't have worked, I sure wouldn't have shelled out my hard earned $$$ for this new operating system.  In fact, I wonder if it's too late for a refund.  I am going to go back to Windows XP if I don't find a solution for this issue soon.

If anyone has a lead on a driver for VIsta 64 bit, please email me at goodpuppy13@hotmail.com soon....preferably before I demand a refund from Microsoft.  This is really crazy that they didn't write a driver for the gameport.  I'll bet 1 programmer could di it in a weekend project.  Why can't they port the XP driver over to vista 64 bit in a day or two?  Come on!

Wednesday, October 1, 2008 5:05 PM
  • Such a shame from Bill gates and co. to leave out the gameport, i recently upgraded my pc only to find out that it doesn't support a gameport?!, shame on you microsoft, now either gonna have to go back to xp or get a usb gamepad wich sadly vista 64 don't support a lot of those, even microsoft's own, the most important software company in the world and it "forgets" to install MIDI/Gameport drivers leave all music producers and gamers hanging, to obbligate  them to get new usb supported devices is a scam to get more of our money, instead of 5000 people getting a pnk slip should've been 50000 for no adding gameport support.
    Monday, February 16, 2009 8:40 PM
  • For a name like Vista, M$ sure lost sight of the big picture.  I had put off buying a new system until now, hoping most of the bugs and omissions typical in early releases would have been worked out by now.  I was a little put off by the multiple vista pop ups (didn't we all install blockers so we didn't have to deal with these)?  But, most distressing is the lack of game port / MIDI support!  Not only does upgrading to USB mean $$$$$, but it is EXTREMELY difficult to find equipment to replace my old, but solid and trustworthy game port devices.  I have searched every store around and have found ONE lack luster USB gamepad!  This means everything has to be ordered, shipped, and returned if it isn't supported or doesn't work well for my apps.!  Hopefully, M$ can apply some simple logic and provide their consumers with what they want rather than dictating what we will get.   MICROSOFT, please don't keep repeating the same mistakes expecting different results, for this is surely the definition of insanity!  Hope we ALL become winners with #7!!!
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 4:48 AM
  • the thread is a bit old, but I want to express my disagreement

that really a shame! trying to find a way to get it work..... but i couldn't find anything.... they didn't write the driver for 64bits systems..... it's not that hard they already did it for 16 and 32 bit

I'm very disappointed and I think I'll stay with XP for a while

Monday, October 25, 2010 2:11 AM