none
Secondary DPM 2012 workgroup protection RRS feed

• Question

• I know that in DPM 2010 it was not supported to backup workgroup protection sources to a secondary DPM server. Now that I have upgraded both primary and secondary DPM to 2012, my secondary DPM server can NOW see the workgroup/untrusted computers, and it allows me to add them to a Protection Group. This is very good news to all of us that are protecting workgroup/untrusted servers. However, at the end of hte wizard, I am getting an Access Denied error. I am guessing this is because the secondary DPM server does not have the local user account that I created between my primary DPM server and the workgroup server.

What is the process for protecting a workgroup/untrusted server to a Secondary DPM 2012 server? NOTE: I am not using certificate protection.

Monday, July 30, 2012 5:05 PM

Answers

• Hi,

yes, we did enhance Secondary protection for servers in a workgroup but only for those servers using certificate based authentication (CBA) and this is now documented here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh757801.aspx

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, July 30, 2012 8:26 PM

All replies

• Hi,

yes, we did enhance Secondary protection for servers in a workgroup but only for those servers using certificate based authentication (CBA) and this is now documented here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh757801.aspx

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, July 30, 2012 8:26 PM
  • So it looks like CBA authentication is fully supported for secondary protection, but not for the local user account scenario. Thanks for the info....
    Tuesday, August 7, 2012 3:09 PM