Exchange 2007 - turning off the server for a long time RRS feed

• Question

• I have moved to Office 365 Exchange online and don't need Exchange 2007 anymore. However, I would like to have Exchange 2007 turned off for a year to be safe before uninstalling Exchange 2007.

The Exchange 2007 server is running on win2k3 r2 standard sp2 x64 and it is not a domain controller. It is just joined to the domain.

Domain Controllers that have been offline for longer than the tombstone lifetime won't be able to connect back to the network.

Since Exchange 2007 is not a domain controller, will I have any problems if I disconnect Exchange 2007 from the network for a year and then connect it back to the network to uninstall exchange 2007?

Thanks

• Edited by kungpow112 Friday, August 14, 2015 6:15 PM
    Friday, August 14, 2015 6:14 PM

Answers

• Hi,

If everything has been migrated to Exchange Online and you do not need to manage your users from on-premises and no longer have a need for directory synchronization or password synchronization, we can consider to safely disable directory synchronization and remove Exchange from the on-premises environment.

Please refer to the following article to decide how and when to decommission your on-premises Exchange servers in a hybrid deployment:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn931280(v=exchg.150).aspx

Regards,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Winnie Liang
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, August 18, 2015 3:19 AM

All replies

• That may break the secure channel with the domain - which may or may not be a major issue if you no longer need the Exchange 2007 server anyway. I've managed computers in an academic environment where leaving client machines off over summer break (roughly 2-3 months) did not break the secure channel necessarily, but sometimes this did happen.

Even if this does happen, it can be fixed.

Erring on the side of caution, I would tend to opt for turning the machine back on every two months or so for a couple hours. Others may argue it's not worth the trouble.

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.

Saturday, August 15, 2015 12:44 AM
  • Hi kungpow112,

Normal decomission process would be offline for 1 -2 months max., then unistalling it. Keeping it for long time as 1yr might actually distrupt something when you suddenly decide to remove it on a working environment, there are more chances that you forget things after that long.

What if your server refuses to come online, you have to go for the hard removal, which is not very clean process to do.

Regards,

Satyajit

Please “Vote As Helpful” if you find my contribution useful or “Mark As Answer” if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.

Monday, August 17, 2015 6:57 AM
  • Hi,

If everything has been migrated to Exchange Online and you do not need to manage your users from on-premises and no longer have a need for directory synchronization or password synchronization, we can consider to safely disable directory synchronization and remove Exchange from the on-premises environment.

Please refer to the following article to decide how and when to decommission your on-premises Exchange servers in a hybrid deployment:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn931280(v=exchg.150).aspx

Regards,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Winnie Liang
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, August 18, 2015 3:19 AM