none
Power Query out of date in Excel 2016? RRS feed

• Question

• I just upgraded a machine to Excel 2016 (via Office 365).  However I'm now getting warnings e.g. "Compatibility warning ... these Queries were authored in a newer version of Power Query".

I checked the Office Update and it confirmed that it is up-to-date. However going to Data ribbon / New Query / Query Options / Diagnostics shows the PQ version as 2.24.4065.1401.

Using Excel 2013, I had the latest build: 2.26.4128.242.

My PQ functionality does appear to have gone backwards, e.g. the "Extract previous" right-click option for Query Steps has disappeared.

Is there something wrong with my Office Update, or Office Update just lagging behind the monthly PQ update schedule?

Thursday, October 8, 2015 10:16 PM

Answers

• Hello Mike,

Currently the Power Query version in Excel 2016 is a bit older than the latest public release of the PQ add-in. It corresponds to the PQ July update. There have been 2 newer public releases of the PQ add-in since that version.

We're working to include all PQ changes up to current bits in the next Office Click-To-Run update, within the next 1-2 months. 

Going forward, we're also planning to align the Power Query add-in releases with the Office 2016 updates, so that we avoid this type of mismatch.

Regards,
    M.

Friday, October 9, 2015 8:46 PM

All replies

• Hello Mike,

Currently the Power Query version in Excel 2016 is a bit older than the latest public release of the PQ add-in. It corresponds to the PQ July update. There have been 2 newer public releases of the PQ add-in since that version.

We're working to include all PQ changes up to current bits in the next Office Click-To-Run update, within the next 1-2 months. 

Going forward, we're also planning to align the Power Query add-in releases with the Office 2016 updates, so that we avoid this type of mismatch.

Regards,
    M.

Friday, October 9, 2015 8:46 PM
  • Has this issue been attended to yet?

Its December now and my Excel 2016 version of Get and Transform is still at 2.24. There are certain options and updates in Excel 2013 Power Query that is sorely lacking in 2016. Whats the latest please?

TX

Friday, December 11, 2015 6:57 AM
  • Will connectivity to SAP BusinessObjects Universes be reintroduced in Excel 2016?  Right now it is not there except in Excel 2013 w/PowerQuery...

70% of all statistics are completely made up.

Tuesday, December 15, 2015 7:21 PM
  • Has a strategy been put in place for this yet that covers both O365 and on-premise Office?

I installed and removed on-premise Office 2016 because Power Query was out of date... 

Are Office Updates available for 2016 that bring Power Query up to date?  (without having 2016 installed and running Windows Update, I don't know how to check).

Dale

Tuesday, January 5, 2016 12:17 AM
  • This is still an issue.  A colleague using Excel 2013 is creating PowerQuery content I cannot open on Excel 2016 because my version is older than his after doing all available updates.
    Tuesday, January 5, 2016 2:46 PM
  • Are you using the click-to-run version of Excel 2016? You should be able to do see this by looking at the "Account" tab in the File screen.

Tuesday, January 5, 2016 11:29 PM
  • I guess that saying I'm running on-premise is not specific enough.  What I mean is that I am not using and cannot currently use Office 365.  This is a traditional msi install.  I can only update via Windows Update.

I'm hoping to see a Microsoft moderator supply an answer.

thanks,

Dale

Tuesday, January 5, 2016 11:41 PM
  • Hi

The Power Query core functionality in Excel (Get & Transform) will be updated in both O365 subscription and MSI (while new connectors that will be available via O365 only).

Due to the nature of being different release cycles the dates will not be totally aligned and O365 will be released first.

Specifically with the latest update for MSI- we are currently working on incorporating that into an update, we'll update once we have a confirmed date for that, and after that will get that closer to the other product updates.

Thanks

Eli

Monday, January 25, 2016 3:20 PM
  • Any updates on this?  SAP Business Objects Universes till not showing up on my Excel 2016
    Friday, April 22, 2016 11:23 PM
  • Hi

PQ updates in Excel are already flowing out, the latest two were released in later March and early (due to a delay to the March one), users should be getting them, according tot heir update definitions.

SAP BO connector cannot be released for 2016 (does not appear in Power BI desktop earthier) and we are looking providing alternatives to connect to SAP sources.

Thanks

Eli

Tuesday, May 3, 2016 9:12 AM
  • Hi,

Does any one know the status on this?

I experience Office 2016 being rolled out automatically thru Office 365 now, and the problem regarding an older version of Power Query in Excel 2016 is still ocurring.

Thanks, Frederik.

Monday, May 9, 2016 9:59 AM
  • Hi Fredrick

If you could send the details of your current version and the one you are comparing it through the "send a Smile/Frown" functionality (the smiley on the top right corner of the app) we will investigate and let you know.

If you could add your email in that communicate for further contact it would be great

Thanks

Eli

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 4:32 PM
  • BTW, the version you upgrade automatically has multiple definitions in your O365 account, that might affect the version selection (for example being on Standard will put you is a couple of months delay).

Current branch is the option of getting the latest by month.

Eli

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 4:34 PM
  • Hello,

I'm having the same exact problem. Any updates on how I resolve this. I simply need a newer version or Power Query on my newly install Excel 2016.

Thursday, September 29, 2016 2:20 PM
  • Just as a 2 cent chip in; you should consider using Power BI Desktop.

It is surpassing the Power Query add-in and is great to use if you have Office 2016 who's add-ins are not being updated. Power BI Desktop is completely free and although it runs as a standalone app, the Power Query component is as up-to-date as can be and can load data into the Data Model and be accessed by Excel very easily.

Thursday, September 29, 2016 5:13 PM
  • Running Excel 2016 with Microsoft Office ProPlus subscription, I would expect running the latest version of Power Query in Excel, but I get the same error as reported in this topic.

Also functionality that would be available according to the information from Microsoft, e.g. Combine Binaries is not available with me.

Does this mean there is another Excel 2016 version that is more up-to-date then my version for which I pay a monthly fee?

FYI: I already reinstalled Microsoft Office twice (on January 24) to get rid of the error (without success), and now running the 32-bit version with product code 16.0.6965.2117, which is automatically updated via deferred channel.

What should I do to run the latest version of Power Query in Excel?

By the way I'm also using Power BI Desktop.

Saturday, February 4, 2017 5:09 PM
  • Hi Marcel,

Yes, there is another more up-to-date version of Office 2016 than the one you are running.

Based on your product version I see that you are running on a Deferred Update Channel for Office 365 indeed. Here is the overview of all Office 365 update channels and here you can see the version numbers for each of the channels. Deferred update channel for Office 365 is the one that is more stable but gives you an update every 4 months.

If you want to move to faster updates, then Current Channel is the one for you – you will get updates every month. For instruction on how to move to the Current Channel, please refer to this article. Note that the Current Channel updates are less stable and this is something that you need to to consider when making a decision.

Finally you can become an Office Insider. This gives you earlier access to the most recent Office Builds and you can provide feedback to make Office better.

Guy

- Excel Team

Guy Hunkin

• Proposed as answer by MarcelBeug Sunday, February 5, 2017 6:09 PM
    Sunday, February 5, 2017 4:28 PM
  • Thanks Guy,

I changed my settings to Current Channel and now waiting for the changes to become effective, which can take up to 24 hours according to the linked information.

So far so good!

Cheers,
    Marcel

Sunday, February 5, 2017 6:12 PM
  • Just for the record: I didn't get the updates automatically, probably because I have multiple accounts on my computer due to historical developments (first buy and install a laptop and then started my own business and then subscribe to Office 365 Pro Plus).

Anyhow, I completely reinstalled Office for the umpteenth time and now it seems to be up-to-date.
    (I only got a message about product activation but I guess I was just too fast to startup Excel to check the version).

Tuesday, February 7, 2017 3:23 PM