none
Weird behavior of the "Actual" value between Timesheets and Tasks RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Assuming a task XYZ of 8hrs and 0% completed assigned to employee Jeff. Our progress tracking is set to "percentage of work complete".

Jeff looks at his tasks for today and starts to work on task XYZ. (My Assignments view)

When Jeff, using Project Lite, enters 100% in his "% Work Complete" field for task XYZ, The system automatically inserts 8hrs in the "Actual" column...

At 5pm when Jeff opens his timesheet, he sees the 8hrs... If it took him only 4hrs to achieve 100% completion, he can modify the timesheet to enter the real "Actual" but the value will remain 8hrs in the "Task" view !...

As if "Actual" had two meanings... two semantics !

Which value is going to be used for the project/Gantt ?... 8 or 4 ?...

Also, i do not want the system to play with Actuals based on declared "% Work Complete"... It should not assume that 8hrs were spent.,..  How can we stop this ?

Thanks ! 

• Edited by sebauc Wednesday, December 10, 2014 4:58 PM
    Wednesday, December 10, 2014 4:42 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I think you are not using correctly the task update and timesheet feature. If you're willing to do task updates AND timesheeting, then Project Server proposes since the 2010 version a combined mode which is called Single Entry Mode. Activating this mode will allow team members to do both task updates AND timesheets in a unique interface. This will prevent your kind of issue were a team member is entering different actual values in task updates and timesheet causing a discrepency.

See reference here.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller |

Thursday, December 11, 2014 3:26 PM
  • Hi,

I think you are not using ...

Our basic need is simply to allow any employee to say actual time spent VS percentage complete... which are two separated values that we must then use to evaluate the real Earn Value. 

Actual time spent and percentage of completion are two thing that must not be related. (PMP, PMBOK 101)

Thursday, December 11, 2014 3:55 PM
  • In my own opinion, a percentage of completion means nothing. It is a subjective feeling of the team member which might differ based on the point of view, the level of stress, the management... It is perfectly explained by your own exemple where 100% means 8hrs for the system whereas the team member means 4hrs.

What do make sense are actual and remaining work. The actual work can be measured and the remaining work can be discussed and estimated together with the project manager. Then MS Project will calculate the % of completion of the task based on those parameters and consequently the EV.

That is why I often (there are always business which could require a different configuration) advice to activate the SEM which enforces to use the "Hours of work done per period" method for entering task updates.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller |

Thursday, December 11, 2014 4:05 PM