Vista64 sp1 2GB RAM used even if 4GB found by system info RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

everything is in the title: 2 out of 4 Go of my RAM is used by Vista64-SP1:

4 Go are described in the *general system informations" panel but in the process monitor only 2048 Mo are used.

My corsair Twin2x4096-8500 are correctly detected in the bios (memory remapping activated) and in cpu-z. The latest asus bios (1037) is installed in the maximus II formula.

Any suggestion ?

Thanks in advance
    X.
    Monday, October 6, 2008 11:06 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I understand that 4GB memory is installed, but in Task Manager only 2 GB is shown in Total Physical Memory.

This behavior occurs if the Memory Remap feature is not enabled in BIOS. Please enter BIOS and enable Memory Remap. The detail information for configuring BIOS can be found in the instruction of the motherboard.

If the issue occurs when Memory Remap is enabled, please let me know if the memory sticks are the same model. If the sticks are working in different frequencies, Windows Vista may only recognize the stick that is running in higher frequency. On some motherboard Windows Vista can recognize both if the faster memory stick is installed in primary slot.

Hope it helps.

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 10:09 AM

All replies

• Hi,

This is because part of the memory has been used by kernel mode processes. The following article will be helpful.

http://blogs.technet.com/markrussinovich/archive/2008/07/21/3092070.aspx 

Hope it explains.

Wednesday, October 8, 2008 8:18 AM
  • Thanks !

After reading the article, I'm still "surprised" that exactly half of the physical memory is left to be used (2048/4096).

In fact my 4GB are not as usefull as I was expecting, removing 2GB and my "free physical memory" is the same...disappointing.
    Wednesday, October 8, 2008 4:54 PM
  • Hi,

I would like to confirm your concern. Do you mean that the Total Physical Memory in Task Manager is incorrect, or total of the Used and Free memory does not match the total physical memory?  

Additionally, does the issue occur randomly, or it always occurs?

If you have installed any memory optimized software, it may be the root cause. Part of the physical memory can be taken by it as a data w/r cache for processes (Like PAE in 32bit systems). If it is the case, I suggest that you uninstall the software and check the result.

If the displayed Total Physical Memory is correct, but the Free Physical Memory memory is low, the behavior may be caused by SuperFetch function in Windows Vista.

http://blogs.technet.com/askperf/archive/2007/03/29/windows-vista-superfetch-readyboost.aspx

Hope it helps.

Friday, October 10, 2008 11:38 AM
  • Hi,

Sorry if I'm not clear  : (I would like to include images, my OS is in french)

In Task Manager:

Physical Memory (Mo) 

Total: 2046

Cache:683

Free: 253

Physical memory: 67%

In Configuration panelTongue Tiedystem:

Eval: 5.7

Processor: Intel.E8600...

Random access Memory: 4.00 Go

This is like that 100% of the time, not random. I'm not aware of any memory optimized software installed. Currently it's only common usage programs plus a few games. Is there a list of "memory optimized software" available  ?

Thanks for your help !

Friday, October 10, 2008 5:21 PM
  • Hi,

I understand that 4GB memory is installed, but in Task Manager only 2 GB is shown in Total Physical Memory.

This behavior occurs if the Memory Remap feature is not enabled in BIOS. Please enter BIOS and enable Memory Remap. The detail information for configuring BIOS can be found in the instruction of the motherboard.

If the issue occurs when Memory Remap is enabled, please let me know if the memory sticks are the same model. If the sticks are working in different frequencies, Windows Vista may only recognize the stick that is running in higher frequency. On some motherboard Windows Vista can recognize both if the faster memory stick is installed in primary slot.

Hope it helps.

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 10:09 AM
  •  

Hi,

I posted a reply the 14th but I realize for some reason it doesn't appear (?).

Ok,  remaping is enabled in the bios, the stick are corsair twin (Twin2x4096-8500c5df g version 1.1 @ 2.1 V ), so they are paired at production time.  cpu-z does recognize both of them correclty.

Thanks for your answer.

X.

Tuesday, October 28, 2008 5:11 PM
  • up ???

Monday, November 3, 2008 5:46 PM