Hidden Foders? RRS feed

• Question

• Running windows 7.  my computer shows that I have only 30G of space available out of 150G.  I have deleted all pics, videos, etc...  The only large file I can find is the iTunes folder and it totals only 9G.  I cannot find any other files combined that would even come close to the 120G remaining. 
    Thursday, May 13, 2010 12:01 PM

Answers

• Running windows 7.  my computer shows that I have only 30G of space available out of 150G.  I have deleted all pics, videos, etc...  The only large file I can find is the iTunes folder and it totals only 9G.  I cannot find any other files combined that would even come close to the 120G remaining. 

Hi

Here are some common issues with what you are describing.

1. If you performed a Custom (clean) installation of Windows 7 on a system that had Windows XP or Vista installed, all of that previous installation will be saved in a folder named Windows.old on the system drive. The size of this folder will be equal to the size of the previous OS.

2. If you have never performed a full Disk Cleanup, you need to do tghis occassionally to free up the disk space and remove temporary files and older System Restore points.

How to recover the free space:

Note: You need to be using an Administrator account.

1. Go to Start / All Programs / Accessories / System Tools / Disk Cleanup.

2. In the drop down menu, select the system drive and click OK. The drive will be scanned.

3. In the next window, select the Clean up system files button.

4. Select the drive again and click OK. Take a look at the sizes of all the temporary files.

5. If you are sure that you do not need any files from the Windows.old folder,  click to select the Previous Windows installation check box, and then click OK.

6. Select the More Options Tab. In the System Restore and Shadow Copies section, click the Clean up button and click OK.

7. In the next window, select the Delete Button.

This will remove all of the temporary files, including Windows.old folder and all but the latest System Restore Points.

Hope this helps.

Thank You for using Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP

• Proposed as answer by Linda Yan Friday, May 14, 2010 5:46 AM
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Wednesday, May 19, 2010 1:56 AM
    Thursday, May 13, 2010 12:20 PM

All replies

• The space is possibly taken by System Restore.

WinDirStat shows where disk space is being used, including a nice graphical display. Just let the mouse pointer hover over the coloured areas to identify different file types. It won’t remove anything but it will identify the large ‘chunks’ of used space. Download it here http://windirstat.info/

Thursday, May 13, 2010 12:12 PM

Hi

Here are some common issues with what you are describing.

1. If you performed a Custom (clean) installation of Windows 7 on a system that had Windows XP or Vista installed, all of that previous installation will be saved in a folder named Windows.old on the system drive. The size of this folder will be equal to the size of the previous OS.

2. If you have never performed a full Disk Cleanup, you need to do tghis occassionally to free up the disk space and remove temporary files and older System Restore points.

How to recover the free space:

Note: You need to be using an Administrator account.

1. Go to Start / All Programs / Accessories / System Tools / Disk Cleanup.

2. In the drop down menu, select the system drive and click OK. The drive will be scanned.

3. In the next window, select the Clean up system files button.

4. Select the drive again and click OK. Take a look at the sizes of all the temporary files.

5. If you are sure that you do not need any files from the Windows.old folder,  click to select the Previous Windows installation check box, and then click OK.

6. Select the More Options Tab. In the System Restore and Shadow Copies section, click the Clean up button and click OK.

7. In the next window, select the Delete Button.

This will remove all of the temporary files, including Windows.old folder and all but the latest System Restore Points.

Hope this helps.

Thank You for using Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP

• Proposed as answer by Linda Yan Friday, May 14, 2010 5:46 AM
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Wednesday, May 19, 2010 1:56 AM
    Thursday, May 13, 2010 12:20 PM
  • Also, uninstall the unused programs from the system to release the disk space.

After performing the above suggestions, you can perform a full scan of the system using anti-virus software to confirm the system is not infected with virus.

Friday, May 14, 2010 5:55 AM

I agree with the first responder that it's most likely System Restore. I went through the same thing. At install it asks how much disc space you want to dedicate to System Restore and I told it 50% (of a 250gb drive). Soon thereafter I found my dedicated OS drive consuming 80gb of disc space.

It still won't let us save a shell, but at least with all this disc space we get much more to choose from if we ever need to restore.

Saturday, May 15, 2010 8:43 PM