SCCM 2012 r2 devices discovered and installed client prematurely RRS feed

• Question

• I built a new SCCM 2012 r2 site.  The client is not set to auto-update. I am using one test ou to discover clients, users, and groups.  I did port over some collections and packages from the old SCCM 2007 site.  When i was creating the new Boundary groups i noticed a few clients had the new sccm client and had the new site as their primary.  None of the devices ip address were in the new Boundary groups.  I am perplexed as to how they could have gotten the new client.  There is no login script, gpo or auto update set.  What ways can a machine get the new client automatically?

Cyndy

Wednesday, October 8, 2014 9:35 PM

Answers

• Do you have any separate 2012 client packages with a deployment(s) within your 2012 environment targeting any collections? 

Were the 4 machines that received the new client discovered by your 2012 Test OU discovery rule?

Without knowing further information its hard to offer any further advice on your query.

Setting up boundaries and boundary groups really doesn't have any direct relationship to client deployment - yes there there to enable site assignment and content location - but the actual act of creating them shouldn't really be causing a client to install on machine that is still managed by your 2007 Config Manager instance given that all the automated client deployment mechanisms are turned off.

As long as your discovery is only discovering computers in your Test OU then I can't see from your problem description, how those 4 computers have received the new 2012 client.

• Edited by Damon. Johns Thursday, October 9, 2014 10:38 PM
    • Marked as answer by Daniel JiSun Monday, November 10, 2014 5:26 AM
    Thursday, October 9, 2014 10:24 PM

All replies

• When you say you have no auto update set - have you checked that the "Enable Automatic site-wide client push installation" is checked or not? Under Client Push Installation Properties?

Just a thought

Somehow your clients are getting targeted. If you say there is no script, GPO or client upgrade package present this might be the cause.

I'm assuming that the clients that were upgraded to the new R2 version were in your test OU that you set your discovery rule for? 

Cheers

Damon

• Edited by Damon. Johns Wednesday, October 8, 2014 10:11 PM
    Wednesday, October 8, 2014 10:09 PM
  • No it is not enabled.

Cyndy

Wednesday, October 8, 2014 10:16 PM
  • I assume you've also checked that the "Upgrade client automatically when new client updates are available" is off under Hierarchy Settings?

Also maybe check that you don't have "Enable software update-based client installation" checked under the Software Update-Based Client Installation Properties. This is probably less likely to be causing it though as you have to actively turn this on with an active, configured SUP etc.

• Edited by Damon. Johns Wednesday, October 8, 2014 10:27 PM
    Wednesday, October 8, 2014 10:21 PM
  • The Upgrade client automatically when new client updates are available is not enabled

The "Enable software update-based client installation"  is not enabled.

The "Enable Automatic site-wide client push installation" is not enabled

There are 4 machines that have the new client but are not in the test ou that I discovered.  When i ping them them. they have an ip address that is in a boundary that was discovery, but has not been put into a boundary group yet.

That is why I am a bit confused.

Cyndy

Thursday, October 9, 2014 1:15 PM
  • Do you have any separate 2012 client packages with a deployment(s) within your 2012 environment targeting any collections? 

Were the 4 machines that received the new client discovered by your 2012 Test OU discovery rule?

Without knowing further information its hard to offer any further advice on your query.

Setting up boundaries and boundary groups really doesn't have any direct relationship to client deployment - yes there there to enable site assignment and content location - but the actual act of creating them shouldn't really be causing a client to install on machine that is still managed by your 2007 Config Manager instance given that all the automated client deployment mechanisms are turned off.

As long as your discovery is only discovering computers in your Test OU then I can't see from your problem description, how those 4 computers have received the new 2012 client.

• Edited by Damon. Johns Thursday, October 9, 2014 10:38 PM
    • Marked as answer by Daniel JiSun Monday, November 10, 2014 5:26 AM
    Thursday, October 9, 2014 10:24 PM