none
Cannot find NT SERVICE\ALL SERVICES to add to local security policy

Question

• I am trying to install Vcenter 6.5a on a 2012 R2 server. When running the installer I am receiving the below error. When I attempt to add NT Services\All Services to the 2012 R2 local policy it will not find it. Please see the screenshot below. I know how to add it to the "Log on as service" but I cannot find it. Please advise.

Thanks for your help

Monday, March 20, 2017 3:14 PM

Answers

• The issue was with the image. Since I am using a company image. I found out they locked down nt service\all services for security issues. I unlocked it and am back in business.

Thanks for your help

• Marked as answer by jthomas777 Tuesday, March 21, 2017 4:14 PM
    Tuesday, March 21, 2017 4:14 PM

All replies

• Hi,

This may help

http://myvirtualbytes.com/home/logon-as-a-service-user-right-to-nt-serviceall-services-for-vcenter-6/

P.S.

When you adding Network or System all of those are local services and you need to change location to local computer.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. 
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    (This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread).

Monday, March 20, 2017 3:29 PM
  • That tells me how to do it. But that is not the issue. I know how to add the right the problem is that when I type in nt service\all services it will not find that account. See screenshots in original question.

Does this have to be done in a GPO or is this a local account?

Thanks for your help

Monday, March 20, 2017 4:08 PM
  • > That tells me how to do it. But that is not the issue. I know how to add the right the problem is that when I type in nt service\all services it will not find that account. See screenshots in original question.

"Check names" does not really work for member servers. Hit "Advanced" then "Find Now" and try to pick manually.

Monday, March 20, 2017 4:20 PM
  • I have tried that also and the account does not show up. I have tried searching the domain and the local server. The account does not show up.

Thanks for your help

Monday, March 20, 2017 4:51 PM
  • > I have tried that also and the account does not show up. I have tried searching the domain and the local server. The account does not show up.

Then I suggest to simply type the Name into the box - do NOT use the Browse... button.

Monday, March 20, 2017 4:53 PM
  • I have done that also I have tried to just type in the name and hit ok. That's when it comes up and says it can not find the account. Is the account a local account or domain account. Is it a hidden account? Where does this account come from?  I have some 2012 servers in my dev domain that do have this account in the log on as service but it does not show on the local server or on the domain server.

Thanks for your help

Monday, March 20, 2017 5:31 PM
  • > I have done that also I have tried to just type in the name and hit ok. That's when it comes up and says it can not find the account.

Oops - you are right. If the name contains a "\" this dialog checks its correctness :-(
    But typing in "NT SERVICE\ALL SERVICES" works flawlessly here, be it on a DC locally or on a member server.

You might type in "foo", then edit the gpttmpl.inf file in the GPO sysvol folder and replace foo with *S-1-5-80-0

Tuesday, March 21, 2017 11:19 AM
  • The issue was with the image. Since I am using a company image. I found out they locked down nt service\all services for security issues. I unlocked it and am back in business.

Thanks for your help

• Marked as answer by jthomas777 Tuesday, March 21, 2017 4:14 PM
    Tuesday, March 21, 2017 4:14 PM
  • Hi,

I am glad to hear that your problem has been resolved. And thanks for your share.

Best Regards,

Jay

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, March 22, 2017 5:26 AM
  • Hi jthomas777,

Could you please tell us what have your company done to lock down this setting?

I am struggling on a machine to bring back the NT SERVICE\ALL SERVICES on a GPO but I can't find it, even if I put double quotes...

Viadeo: Mathieu Ait Azzouzene | Linkedin: Mathieu Ait Azzouzene

Wednesday, May 10, 2017 3:20 PM