none
The issue of % Complete reversing back to old %complete RRS feed

• Question

• One of my client is changing % complete through MPP For a Fixed Duration task  after that they have save and publish the plan after few days it reversing back to old %complete, for that perticular task "Close Tasks to Update" selected.

For PWA setting Only allow task updates via Tasks and Timesheet and Single Entry Mode is enabled.

Requesting you please help me to resolve this issue, why it is getting changed autometicaly. What needs to be done to resolve the same.

Thursday, January 29, 2015 10:36 AM

All replies

• Hi,

There is a paradox in your process. Changing the %complete will also update the actual work. But you set the options to only update actuals from timesheet, and moreover the task is closed to update. 

So first conclusion, if you need to update the task, it should not be closed to update.

Secondly you can only update the task actual work from timesheet.

Project follows the rules you set and in your case there is an inconsistency.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller |

Thursday, January 29, 2015 11:16 AM
  • Hello Guillaume,

Thank you for your response, If I will create a task with fix duration and I am not assigning the task to any user and after that particular duration, if I am changing the % complete to 100% and remaining work and remaining duration to 0, will it not change? Regarding the option clos to update, I think this is practically correct, because if you are making any change to project plan, then save and publish it, if we will not close the task to update, then any user may submit timesheet against to that particular task and same change will again happen to project plan and once it will publish the previous change will removed, hence I thing task should be close to update after making changes to project plan.

Requesting you, Please suggest once more.

Saturday, January 31, 2015 6:33 AM
  • Hi and thanks for the feedback!

Indeed for the close to update you are totally right. My point was only to say that after closing a task to update, it makes no sense to update it again in MS Project since it is supposed to be a completed task or at least a task that should not be updated anymore for always or a limited time.

Then coming back to the original question, if you do not assign any resource to a task, then you can update the %complete without any limitations regarding the options you set up in the server settings about the tasks updates.

Hope this helps,

Saturday, January 31, 2015 7:10 AM
  • Hi Guillaume,

Thank you again for your time. I think the client project plan is curupted, iven if i am not making the % complete to 100% and the valu is 39% now and remaining duration is still 19 days, but it is showing remaining work is 0 and scheduled work and actual work has same value.

I have tested with a test plan even if PWA setting Only allow task updates via Tasks and Timesheet and Single Entry Mode is enabled, still if i am making remaining duraion to 0 then remaining work autometicaly goes to 0 and % complete autometicaly goes to 100% complete, this is also getting saved, even if i am not entering timsheet day by day, actual work and scheduled work is gatting same, and this is also getting saved.

Hence i am thinking there is  one way relation between Only allow task updates via Tasks and Timesheet and %complete.

Requesting you please suggest me.

May I have your email ID?

Saturday, January 31, 2015 8:06 AM
  • You can contact me through LinkedIn (see my signature).

For your project client, you could check if the task is manually scheduled, which could cause such behavior. Then in your example everything is normal: changing the remaining duration will not affect the actual work which is protected by the "Only allow task updates via Tasks and Timesheet" option. Then since the remaining work is null, the % complete goes to 100%. But you cannot (should not) simply set the % complete in the project plan since it will create actual work which is protect. You should distinguish actual work which in your case MUST come from Tasks and Timesheet and remaining work which can be manually adjusted in the project plan.

In case, if you still see unexpected behavior and think that the plan is corrupted, try to repair it with this method.

Hope this helps,

Saturday, January 31, 2015 8:20 AM