none
After rebooting, server reboots itself after getting to the logon screen twice, and then is fine

Question

• After the third reboot it came back up fine. I reboot it again manually and it did the same thing, two reboots and then comes up fine. This is a Server 2012 standard machine (not r2) as a sole DC in a small office.

There's one event 7009, timeout reached while waiting for the service management tool service to connect, then several services fail to logon because the RPC server is unavailable/failed to start due to logon failure until the server reboots itself.

Each service that fails has two events.  The first is "unable to logon as NT AUTHORITY\LOCALSERVICE ... The RPC server is unavailable" and then right after, "The service did not start due to a logon failure" OR service failed to start, "system cannot find the path specified"

This is a new one for me and I'm having a hard time finding any info online. Lots of stuff about single services unable to start due to logon failures, but not all of the services. Doesn't seem to be any red flags in openmanage as far as hardware/PERC is concerned (but definitely not ruling that out), and an sfc scan didn't find any issues.

Just not super clear what my next step here should be and wanted to check around before repairing/re-installing windows on it.

Tuesday, May 15, 2018 5:18 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Have a nice day! Thanks for your question.

Please try the following suggestions to see if it could be of help.

1) Verify these services are started, in order:

DCOM Server Process Launcher

RPC Endpoint Mapper

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Security Accounts Manager

Server

2) Please restart the server with clean boot mode to exclude the influence from third party software. Please refer to the following link and exhibit.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

3) Meanwhile, we can perform safe boot plus clean boot mode to prevent any driver or program from unbooting.

4) Please also check there is any change such as system updates or new installation before this issue happened in the server.

5) Please try the method 2 & 3 of the resolution for Event 7000 in the following article to see if the issue could be resolved.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-performance/several-service-control-manager-issues-event-ids/5eb047bb-e5bf-47b3-a661-299f6f9835ba

Hope this helps. I look forward hearing your good news. If you have any questions, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,

Michael

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, May 16, 2018 8:35 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Michael

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, May 17, 2018 8:38 AM
  • Followed the steps in steps 2 & 3 for event 7000, and everything has been fine until today.  Went to log in to the server, server locked up and rebooted itself.  Four times it got to the log in screen, and after trying to login it would reboot itself.  After the fifth time it finally logged in.  Same thing, event viewer shows every service fails to start because "system cannot find the file specifiied." 

Here's the order of events:

• Event ID 6008: Previous shutdown was unexpected
    • Event ID 11: Custom dynamic link libraries are being loaded for every application. The system administrator should review the list of libraries to ensure they are related to trusted applications.
    • Event ID 1014: Name resolution timeout for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.lda.local
    • Event ID 1056 and 10020 related to DHCP
    • Event ID 7039: A service process other than the one launched by the Service Control Manager connected when starting the Service Management Tool service.  The Service Control Manager launched process 3820 and process 4552 connected instead.
    • From there, it's Event ID 7038 and ID 7000 back and forth for several services, with ID 7000 due to a logon failure
    • Then it looks like all services fail to start one by one due to: "system cannot find the path specified"
    • Server reboots itself, goes through the same process three more times, and on the 5th boot it starts up fine and I am able to log on.

Any advice on the next steps would be greatly appreciated.

Monday, June 11, 2018 2:33 PM