none
IEAK vs. Group Policy RRS feed

• Question

• Here is a basic question. Which should I use, IEAK or Group Policy or how are they related?

I have a bunch of Windows 7 IE 9 users who have proxy settings, default favorites, and maybe some other settings set via Group Policy with Server 2008 R2 and Server 2003 R2 domain controllers. Some users upgraded to IE 10 and subsequently discovered that the favorites and proxy settings (or any Internet Explorer settings?) do not work through Group Policy.

So, I read that one can use 'Group Policy preferences', but doing that will require running Group Policy from an upgraded Windows 7 machine or something like that because the domain controllers can't recognize IE10 or higher. But then, I also see that there is this Internet Explorer Administration Kit which can supposedly set various configuration items.

So, what will work? Do they work together? What gives?

I want to set IE configuration of Windows 7 machines with IE 9 or 10.

Monday, June 9, 2014 11:05 PM

Answers

• Ok, I found at least a partial answer from Appendix B: Replacements for Internet Explorer Maintenance (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj890998.aspx)

"Any settings that you previously configured with IEM will no longer work on computers where Internet Explorer 10 or newer is installed, regardless of the Windows version it’s been installed on. You must update your settings using Group Policy Preferences, Administrative Templates (.admx), or the Internet Explorer Administration Kit (IEAK).

Because Group Policy Preferences and IEAK 10 use asynchronous processes when they run, we recommend that you choose to use only one of the tools within each group of settings ...  In addition, it's important to remember that policy is enforced and can't be changed by the user, while preferences are configured, but can be changed by the user."

So, IEAK it looks like allows the creation of an install and configuration or just configuration of Internet Explorer that must be applied via a logon script or something as a one-time configuration and has nothing to do with Group Policy. Presumably, I can still do everything that was done before and more with just Group Policy via "Preferences" and Administrative Templates (.admx) (depending on whether I want to enforce settings or not or what settings are available in each).

I guess I just need to start digging into figuring out how to implement Group Policy now and what settings can be set.

• Marked as answer by notRoman Wednesday, June 25, 2014 2:27 AM
    Tuesday, June 10, 2014 8:30 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your update.

IEM will be removed if we have installed IE10 on the server side. Besides, regarding group policy for configure browser settings in IE10 and IE 9, we could take use of Administrative Templates and Group Policy preferences.

We could download Administrative Templates from here:

Administrative Templates for Windows Internet Explorer 10

More information, please check:

Managing Browser Settings with Group Policy Tools

Group Policies in Internet Explorer 9

Hope this may help

Best regards

Michael Shao
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, June 11, 2014 7:57 AM

All replies

• Ok, I found at least a partial answer from Appendix B: Replacements for Internet Explorer Maintenance (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj890998.aspx)

"Any settings that you previously configured with IEM will no longer work on computers where Internet Explorer 10 or newer is installed, regardless of the Windows version it’s been installed on. You must update your settings using Group Policy Preferences, Administrative Templates (.admx), or the Internet Explorer Administration Kit (IEAK).

Because Group Policy Preferences and IEAK 10 use asynchronous processes when they run, we recommend that you choose to use only one of the tools within each group of settings ...  In addition, it's important to remember that policy is enforced and can't be changed by the user, while preferences are configured, but can be changed by the user."

So, IEAK it looks like allows the creation of an install and configuration or just configuration of Internet Explorer that must be applied via a logon script or something as a one-time configuration and has nothing to do with Group Policy. Presumably, I can still do everything that was done before and more with just Group Policy via "Preferences" and Administrative Templates (.admx) (depending on whether I want to enforce settings or not or what settings are available in each).

I guess I just need to start digging into figuring out how to implement Group Policy now and what settings can be set.

• Marked as answer by notRoman Wednesday, June 25, 2014 2:27 AM
    Tuesday, June 10, 2014 8:30 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your update.

IEM will be removed if we have installed IE10 on the server side. Besides, regarding group policy for configure browser settings in IE10 and IE 9, we could take use of Administrative Templates and Group Policy preferences.

We could download Administrative Templates from here:

Administrative Templates for Windows Internet Explorer 10

More information, please check:

Managing Browser Settings with Group Policy Tools

Group Policies in Internet Explorer 9

Hope this may help

Best regards

Michael Shao
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, June 11, 2014 7:57 AM