The dependencies for this management pack cannot be located RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

As part of migrating from SCOM 2007 R2 to SCOM 2016 we were trying to import MPs to SCOM 2016. As part of this, 1st we imported all the MPs from SCOM 2007 R2 in .xml format, and when we tried the import, the dependency management packs are not getting recognized by SCOM 2016 even though the import was successful as you can see from the below mentioned image. Any reason why this happens and have a solution to this ?

Wednesday, March 7, 2018 4:14 PM

Answers

• Hi,

So if I understand this correctly, one unsealed MP is trying to get references from another unsealed MP, and so it is failing. I think you'd need to seal the second MP so that your first MP can get the references from it.

Hope this helps

Curious to know your outcome..

Cheers

Sam (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer" wherever applicable. Thanks!)

• Marked as answer by rganga Friday, March 9, 2018 12:12 AM
    Thursday, March 8, 2018 2:10 AM
  • 1) Point to error hyperlink to see which dependant MP is missing
    2) 1st we imported all the MPs from SCOM 2007 R2 in .xml format: Is all this MPS are custom MP or MP? For free download MP, please import most latest MP.

Roger

Thursday, March 8, 2018 3:47 AM
  • I agree with Sameer, it sounds like you exported everything from SCOM 2007 as unsealed .xml management packs.

But to be more specific you should not seal those MPs by yourself (beause this will change the sealing key); you rather should find the original .mp files when appropriate and import these instead of the .xml you exported

Thursday, March 8, 2018 7:24 AM

All replies

• What does it show in "error"? Are you sure the management packs are the correct version or more recent?
    Wednesday, March 7, 2018 4:34 PM
  • Hi,

Do you mean the first MP (failed) had dependency on the second (successfully imported) MP, but still gives error?

Does it depend on any other MP, than this?

Cheers

Sam (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer" wherever applicable. Thanks!)

Wednesday, March 7, 2018 5:18 PM
  • The Error reads as follows:

The dependencies for this management pack cannot be located.

To remove this management pack from the import list, right-click the management pack and click Remove. To see the list of missing dependencies, click Error in the Status column.

We are using these MPs on SCOM 2007 currently....

Cheers,

Raj

Wednesday, March 7, 2018 11:46 PM
  • Hello Sam,

Your statement is right.

No it does not have any other dependency....

We are seeing this problem with few other MPs as well.

Thank you...

Raj

Wednesday, March 7, 2018 11:48 PM
  • Hi,

So if I understand this correctly, one unsealed MP is trying to get references from another unsealed MP, and so it is failing. I think you'd need to seal the second MP so that your first MP can get the references from it.

Hope this helps

Curious to know your outcome..

Cheers

Thursday, March 8, 2018 2:10 AM
  • 1) Point to error hyperlink to see which dependant MP is missing
    2) 1st we imported all the MPs from SCOM 2007 R2 in .xml format: Is all this MPS are custom MP or MP? For free download MP, please import most latest MP.

Roger

Thursday, March 8, 2018 3:47 AM
  • I agree with Sameer, it sounds like you exported everything from SCOM 2007 as unsealed .xml management packs.

But to be more specific you should not seal those MPs by yourself (beause this will change the sealing key); you rather should find the original .mp files when appropriate and import these instead of the .xml you exported

Thursday, March 8, 2018 7:24 AM
  • Thank you very much for all your responses. I followed this link and the issue got fixed by updating the public key .

https://www.stefanroth.net/2012/10/21/visio-management-pack-designer-the-dependencies-for-this-management-pack-cannot-be-located/

Now I wish to know how can we safely remove the dependent MPs that are not required to be imported to SCOM 2016 e.g 2000 or 2003 dependent MPs . Anyone came across a good documentation on this ?

Cheers,

Raj

Friday, March 9, 2018 12:12 AM
  • It's still not very clear to me what you did wrong in the first place, but if it is what we imagined (exported everything from SCOM 2007 as .xml files), I insist that it is a very bad idea to seal them back by yourself, you won't be able to import updates to these MPs or other MPs referring to the ones you re-sealed yourself...

About your last question : you can't delete MPs even if you don't use them  if they are referenced by other MPs that you use. This is not possible.

Friday, March 9, 2018 6:46 AM
  • Hi,

Agree with CyrAz.

However, there is a possible workaround. I will not recommend it personally as I'm not a fan of it but it works anyway - had a client that did/does this.

>>you can't delete MPs even if you don't use them  if they are referenced by other MPs that you use.<<

This is true so export the MP's in xml and delete the references. Then seal them again and import them back. but again like CyrAz said, "you won't be able to import updates to these MPs or other MPs referring to the ones you re-sealed yourself..."

So I'd rather leave them alone...

Hope this helps

Cheers

Friday, March 9, 2018 7:13 AM
  • Yes indeed, that would work, but that would add more of what I insist on not doing :D
    Friday, March 9, 2018 7:28 AM
  • Yes indeed, that would work, but that would add more of what I insist on not doing :D

Yup! :D

Cheers!

Friday, March 9, 2018 7:37 AM
  • Hello Cyraz,

Ok, let me make it clear - We exported all the MPs from SCOM 2007 R2 to a file share. We used MPViewer.exe to identify the dependant MPs for a respective Management Pack. Then we started importing the respective MP which is in .xml to SCOM 2016. The import failed even though we installed all the dependent Management Packs, and the error was

The dependencies for this management pack cannot be located.

To remove this management pack from the import list, right-click the management pack and click Remove. To see the list of missing dependencies, click Error in the Status column.

The management pack that we were trying to import are custom or unsealed Management packs. What is the recommended way to import these MPs without sealing them ?

Friday, March 9, 2018 3:09 PM
  • As I said previously, the recommended way is to not export sealed MPs in the first place if your goal is to import them back in another SCOM environment.

Just find the original sealed .mp files, or download them again (from Microsoft or whatever company they come from)!

• Edited by CyrAz Friday, March 9, 2018 3:27 PM
    Friday, March 9, 2018 3:26 PM
  • Understood... we are not exporting any sealed MPs....I'm talking about unsealed MPs :). I hope there is no better way we can import the unsealed MPs to SCOM 2016 correct .. ?

Cheers,

Raj

• Edited by rganga Friday, March 9, 2018 11:22 PM
    Friday, March 9, 2018 11:22 PM