Windows 7 Library Refresh Bug (W7LRB) RRS feed

• Question

• When deleting a picture, document, or file from a Library location in Windows 7, the file is deleted, but the icon remains indefinitely until the window is refreshed in some way.  This behavior is not seen when deleting the same file without using the Libraries in Windows 7.  The behavior is not seen when files in a window are sorted by name, but is seen if they are sorted by date, date modified, or other.

Example:  A photo in My Pictures may be deleted at will with proper refresh behavior.  The same photo, deleted in the same way under Pictures Library will be deleted, but the icon of the deleted file will still be present.

I have interfaced with more than a dozen Windows 7 machines using several versions of Windows 7, Starter through Ultimate.  In every single case, this bug is easily reproducible for users that have been using a non-Guest user profile for more than a few days.

To reproduce this behavior, try going to the My Pictures folder by using the Pictures Library.  Use the link in the Start Menu to Pictures, or use the Libraries links in the Navigation pane of explorer.  You should be under Libraries -> Pictures.  Select a folder with pictures and sort the photos by date (use right-click menu to sort by date).  Select a photo and press the delete key.  Confirm delete.  You will see the Recycle Bin fill if it was previously empty, but the icon of the file will remain in the same place.  Attempt to access the file, and you will get a file not found error.  Press refresh (F5) and the icon disappears.

Now, access the same picture location by avoiding the use of the Libraries.  (i.e. Go through c:\users\(username)\My Pictures).  You should see no reference to Libraries in the address bar.  Sort and delete the same file in the same manner as above.  Eureka!  It works!

This is a pervasive bug that really affects the user experience for those of us that constantly move files and use the sorting features.  Because Windows 7 defaults to using Libraries in most ways, it takes some effort to work around this, and can lead to attempting to handle files that have already been deleted but are still visible.

I think that whatever is causing this bug is being seen by many people in many different ways, but I think if we can figure out what's causing this simple behavior I've outlined here, it may solve the more subtle and complicated ways this bug is seen.

Thursday, October 21, 2010 4:46 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for your post.

I have reproduced this issue. And I will report it to Microsoft Feedback Team.

Your effort is appreciated.

Regards,

Alex Zhao

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Monday, November 1, 2010 10:24 AM
    Tuesday, October 26, 2010 10:42 AM

All replies

• I can confirm this on my machine running Win7 Pro 32bit. Did just what DArtyB said, tried to delete an old picture from My Pictures when sorted by date inside the Pictures Library.  Icon doesn't disappear. But the icon disappears properly when you avoid the Libraries.  If you sort by name, everything works no matter how you access the file.

Tried the same thing on my officemate's laptop running Win7 Ultimate 64bit.  Same exact issue.

We tried reproducing it on a brand new user account and could not, but after copying some of the pictures from my account to the new user account, we had the same problem again.

This is a really embarrassing bug for Windows.  The Libraries are used everywhere, and this is one of the most basic functions of an OS, delete a file and the icon should be deleted too.

Thursday, October 21, 2010 4:56 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your post.

I have reproduced this issue. And I will report it to Microsoft Feedback Team.

Your effort is appreciated.

Regards,

Alex Zhao

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Monday, November 1, 2010 10:24 AM
    Tuesday, October 26, 2010 10:42 AM
  • I confirmed this as well, 6 Win 7 PC's all with different apps and files, same exact problem. - MS - Do you plan to provide a fix to this bug?
    Friday, November 12, 2010 10:47 PM
  • I confirmed this as well, 6 Win 7 PC's all with different apps and files, same exact problem. - MS - Do you plan to provide a fix to this bug?

I have a new fresh install of Windows 7 64 bit and have this trouble too.  I never had this problem before.  Using a new OCZ Vertex 2 SSD.

I hope help is on the way.

Saturday, November 27, 2010 10:57 PM
  • I have been having the same problem since I installed the Win7 update KB971033

After the uninstall of the update KB971033 everything is back to normal....

EDIT: It didn't last for long... it's back to the same problem :-(

I'm considering to go back to Vista... not only because of this... there are more issues....I was used to Vista and it eventually worked fine and quicker than the upgrade to Win7....I went from index 5.9 to 5.1 :-(

Still no real solution from Microsoft? :-(

Thursday, December 2, 2010 1:19 PM
  • Same problem on two more computers I've checked.  I've now tried this on more than 25 computers all with the same result.

After a perfectly fresh install of a new user account and sorting only the files that come packaged with windows, it seems to work fine.  But after the user's files are copied over, the problem comes back.

Perhaps something is getting corrupted in the desktop.ini or other user files that keep track of the thumbnails?

Wednesday, December 15, 2010 8:01 PM
  • So this is almost universally reproducable using the delete function in any Library folder.  Of course I am here because I am searching for a fix also.

The simple reason for this 'bug' seems to be that icons within a "Library" folder are merely shortcuts while the original file is in the User folders.  SO deleting the file doesn't delete the "shortcut".

But on the other hand, if the icon was merely a shortcut, then how is it that we can delete the file by performing delete on that icon?

Also, the problem sits there even if we delete within a folder using just the text or details setting!

I end up with large amounts of shown files that don't exist!

Instead of repeatedly "reporting" the problem to another "team" why not address it directly or get a response!

• Proposed as answer by davejet Wednesday, January 19, 2011 5:25 PM
    Friday, December 31, 2010 12:23 AM
  • Hi Alex,

Any feedback from microsoft about that issue?

Thanks & Regards

• Proposed as answer by davejet Wednesday, January 19, 2011 5:23 PM
    Tuesday, January 4, 2011 4:12 PM
  • I find this and it is working form me...

think the best workaround to this bug is to disable the use of Thumbs.db files entirely.  For those of you with Windows 7 versions that contain the Group
    Policy Editor, here's how:

·    Click the Start orb

·    Enter gpedit.msc in the search box and hit Enter.

·    Expand User Configuration - Administrative Templates - Windows Components.

·    Click on Windows Explorer.

·    Right-click the entry "Turn off the caching of thumbnails in hidden thumbs.db files" and choose Edit.

·    Enable the setting.

• Proposed as answer by davejet Wednesday, January 19, 2011 5:26 PM
    Wednesday, January 19, 2011 5:26 PM
  • Hi Dave, Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, I tried it on my machine and it didn't work. Is that all you had to do? I still get the exact same behavior as in my original post, regardless of whether thumbs.db caching is on or off.
    Monday, January 24, 2011 8:30 PM
  • Hello davejet,

Thanks for the information...

Unfortunately it doesn't work for me and my PC :-(

I guess we 'll have to wait for Win8 to solve all the Win7 problems.... or a maybe a Win7 servicepack? Better quicker than never...

Tuesday, January 25, 2011 11:35 PM
  • I have noticed this problem as soon as I join a W7 HomeGroup since W7 Beta.  Due to that reason, I never joined a W7 Homegroup on my main notebook, however, my main notebook started to have this problem recently as someone pointed out here.

It is very frustrating when you are doing a lot of file reorganization.  Even creating a new folder needs to be manually refreshed.

Microsoft, anything yet?

TIA.

Tuesday, February 8, 2011 10:53 PM
  • I did a clean install of Windows 7 x64 with all the updates including SP1.1

Deleting files of any kind in the 'Pictures' librarie doesn't automatically refresh but DELETING A FOLDER DOES INSTANTLY REFRESH!!!

WHY???

ALL THE OTHER LIBRARIES REFRESH PERFECTLY NO MATTER WHAT KIND OF FILE OR FOLDER!!!

So it's a great improvement but still not perfect!

Am I the only one with this improvement?

EDIT: rightmouseclicked in Explorer on 'Pictures' library properties and choose to restore defaults. NOW IT WORKS PERFECTLY!

EDIT 2: It only works in the 'Pictures' library if the files are sorted by name... the other libraries work perfectly...

EDIT 3: The other libraries work 'perfectly' if viewing of thumbnails is not enabled :-(

EDIT 4: Eventually it all stopped working 'perfectly'.... :-(

CONCLUSION: NO IMPROVEMENT!!!

THE ONLY THING THAT REALLY WORKS FOR ME IS TO CREATE NEW LIBRARIES AND GIVE THEM THE  SAME NAME AS THE OFFICIAL ONES AND IMPORT THE FOLDERS.... THIS REALLY WORKS... YOU ONLY DON'T HAVE FANCY FOLDER ICONS :-(

Wednesday, March 2, 2011 9:30 AM
  • It has been months since this issue was reported.  No fix?

jimt42
    Wednesday, May 4, 2011 8:50 PM
  • Make a search for .wmdb, delete everything you find and restart wmp12.

This will refresh the library but you will have to do this everytime added files are missing so it's not a perfect fix.

Thursday, June 23, 2011 8:00 AM
  • Reading this thread and also running against the "no refresh" problem it  really is astonishing how Microsoft gets away with this (as already quoted "embarrassing") bug. The bug was reported almost a year ago. I think Microsoft is not able to fix it.
    • Edited by BotteGS Friday, September 16, 2011 9:48 AM
    Friday, September 16, 2011 9:47 AM
  • Hi everybody,

I also experienced this problem of not refreshing the My Documents Folder (through right pane of start menu) after deleting a file. I tried suggestions like removing Libraries and editing the register. Nothing worked. So I thought: if I can't solve it, work around it...

Instead, I manually navigated to the My Documents folder through C:\Users\... Then, I made sure that the My Documents folder, that is in C:\Users\..., is pinned to the start menu. As a result, the shortcuts to the folders are now on the top left side of the start menu, and they will stay there. You can do the same for My Music, My Pictures and My Videos. Just make sure of two things:

1) Remove the 'old' and 'troublesome' links at the right side of the start menu (right-click on windows icon, Properties),

2) Don't show too many recent programs into the lower left part of the start menu to prevent the start menu from being too big.

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 1:20 PM
  • I am also experiencing this bug in my 'my documents' folder (Windows 7 x64 N SP1 - fully up-to-date). I'm using all built-in or WHQL drivers. I also installed the Media Fetature Pack for Windows 7 x64 N SP1. I can't believe this bug hasn't been fixed for over a year...
    Saturday, December 3, 2011 4:05 PM
  • Still not fixed. Libraries still do not refresh when folders or files are added, renamed, or deleted.
    Saturday, March 10, 2012 9:45 PM
  • Has there been any update on this from Microsoft? Libraries are really cool, but this ruins the cool feeling.

What I ended up doing was simply going to my folders through the shortcut with your user name (below libraries), and then putting my documents and stuff in my favorites up top. When you access the folders that way, they work normally (i.e. you delete a file and it goes away, or you add a folder and you see it right away without pressing F5)

Thursday, January 3, 2013 6:40 PM
  • I installed addon for explorer "Classic Shell" and it use direct links for documents instead library.

Additionally, it has a powerful search box in the Start menu and cascading program menu.

So much more useful.

Friday, January 25, 2013 4:34 AM