none
Project overwritten from a local copy (.mpp file) and Work and Actual Work have been lost (they are still in the timesheet) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm using Project Server 2010. A Project Manager has overwritten a Project from an old local copy, and now we have lost the Work and Actual Work in the Project, but this information still exist in the resources timesheets.

Do you know how to put this information back in the project?

thank you!

José Espases

Monday, July 23, 2012 8:36 AM

Answers

• Hi Josè,

so you are using SEM (Single Entry Mode). This setting will hide icon, since it does not make sense.

I have just tried different options, like just recalling timesheet and resubmitting lines or timesheet, with no success.

Currently I have only two ideas: One with some effort for each affected user. The second one depends on how many users are on your system?

1. User recall their timesheets, and enter the hours again by just overwritting existing value with the same value. Unfortunately, Project Server is too intelligent to submit entries already submitted. So you need to do a change, even if value is the same. With submitting timesheet, hours will be resubmitted to project manager.

2. You could disable SEM for a while, to give affected users the chance to import timesheet. But during this time, no-one else should enter new hours in timesheets - seems quite difficult to organize?

To avoid this in future, you can think about activating "Only allow task updates via Tasks and Timesheets" in Server Settings - Task Settings and Display. This will ensure, that PMs can't overwrite actuals. And if they manage to do so, there is a sync possibility in Project client.

Success!
    Barbara

• Marked as answer by José Espases Monday, July 23, 2012 11:25 AM
    Monday, July 23, 2012 10:29 AM

All replies

• Hi Jose,

ask your users to go to tasks page. There they will find "Import". They need to select all their Timesheets one by one, activate checkbox "Submit" and click on Import. All timesheet data will be copied to Tasks and submitted for new approval. It will only work for tasks, not yet closed for updates and not set to Published = No in Project client.

Good luck!
    Barbara

Monday, July 23, 2012 8:48 AM
  • Hi Barbara,

thank you for your help, but I'm a little bit confused, you mean the page http://epm/PWA/Tasks.aspx ?

There is no 'Import' in this page, this is what I'm able to use:

What I'm able to do is to use the option Send Status--> All Tasks, which is explained as 'Save and submit all task status updates for manager approval'. Is this option the one I must use?

Thank you again,

José Espases

Monday, July 23, 2012 9:29 AM
  • Hi Josè,

so you are using SEM (Single Entry Mode). This setting will hide icon, since it does not make sense.

I have just tried different options, like just recalling timesheet and resubmitting lines or timesheet, with no success.

Currently I have only two ideas: One with some effort for each affected user. The second one depends on how many users are on your system?

1. User recall their timesheets, and enter the hours again by just overwritting existing value with the same value. Unfortunately, Project Server is too intelligent to submit entries already submitted. So you need to do a change, even if value is the same. With submitting timesheet, hours will be resubmitted to project manager.

2. You could disable SEM for a while, to give affected users the chance to import timesheet. But during this time, no-one else should enter new hours in timesheets - seems quite difficult to organize?

To avoid this in future, you can think about activating "Only allow task updates via Tasks and Timesheets" in Server Settings - Task Settings and Display. This will ensure, that PMs can't overwrite actuals. And if they manage to do so, there is a sync possibility in Project client.

Success!
    Barbara

• Marked as answer by José Espases Monday, July 23, 2012 11:25 AM
    Monday, July 23, 2012 10:29 AM
  • Hi Barbara,

Thank you again.

Yes I'm using SEM. We are around 250 users, it's a little bit risky to disable SEM, I will inform the concerned users to resubmit the Timesheets again, I think it will be the best solution.

By the way, I cannot activate 'Only allow task updates via tasks and Timesheets' because not all the sections in my company use the timesheets, the are some sections that are totally controlled by the Project Managers, including Actual Work, and they enter the values by hand in Project Professional. It is something that I would like to avoid but ...

Thank you so much for your help.

José Espases

Monday, July 23, 2012 11:25 AM
  • Hi José,

just one addition: Since your project was overwritten by a local file, you may have got new assignmentUIDs, then this approach will not work. Ask one user first for a test.

Do you have Administrative Backup scheduled? Then you could first restore latest correct version, and follow above approach afterwards.

Barbara

Monday, July 23, 2012 11:35 AM
  • Hi Barbara,

thank you again.

Definitely I will use the Administrative Restore (using the Admin.restore in a test env I've seen that the local restore is not so far, only two weeks) and the Project Manager will have to remember the changes he made. The users will recall and resubmit the timesheets, it will be for sure the best solution.

Regards,

José Espases

Monday, July 23, 2012 3:02 PM
  • Hi José,

one more idea. After administrative restore, your colleague could use Project compare functionality, to find what he did change in the meantime. He can find this on tab Project, button is called Compare projects.

Regards
    Barbara

Monday, July 23, 2012 6:42 PM