Windows 10 Custom WIM Missing BootMGR RRS feed

• Question

• I have created custom WIM's for windows 7, but haven't been created successfully created one for Windows 10.  The WIM creates, but when I push the image it comes up with bootmgr is missing. 

I have installed the proper Windows 10ADK, I have the source files.  I am sure there is something I have looked over. 

Friday, September 30, 2016 7:31 PM

Answers

• For sure a problem is using a version of MDT that doesn't support Windows 10. Move up to the latest MDT 2013 Update 2

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/dn475741.aspx

When updating to a new ADK, you must first uninstall the previous one. Considering using DFS-R to replicate your deployment share to all three locations (assuming they are setup the same way). By replicating it makes it easier on you to update the main deployment share and then DFS-R will send out the changes.

Maybe pick up a book or two to brush up on your MDT skills. Personally I'd recommend "Deployment Fundamentals" the latest I believe is Volume 6. The appendix of that book covers using DFS-R.

If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

• Marked as answer by HHHuntBrett Wednesday, October 12, 2016 1:30 PM
    Tuesday, October 4, 2016 3:53 PM

All replies

• How have you done these things?

Many questions such as where do I find logs and what logs are interesting are found in: MDT TechNet Forum - FAQ & Getting Started Guide Please take the time to read it. Also if you don't post logs your problem won't be easily solved.

Friday, September 30, 2016 8:58 PM
  • Not sure what you mean.

I have worked with WDS/MDT for 3-4 years, though it's never been a "primary focus" of the job.  Just one of the side tasks I have been given.

I have been trying to figure out how to get MDT to deploy to Windows 10 for the past 3 weeks, maybe a little longer.

I have 9 years of experience in IT, between the Army, and various civilian employers.

Monday, October 3, 2016 8:02 PM
  • I am not doubting your qualifications or experience. I am asking how did you go about accomplishing what you have stated in your original post.

What were your steps?

Many questions such as where do I find logs and what logs are interesting are found in: MDT TechNet Forum - FAQ & Getting Started Guide Please take the time to read it. Also if you don't post logs your problem won't be easily solved.

Monday, October 3, 2016 8:08 PM
  • Maybe a step by step guide will help you. Check out: Building a Windows 10 v1607 reference image using MDT 2013 Update 2

Monday, October 3, 2016 8:46 PM
  • Sorry, I just didn't understand the question.  If I am honest, considering the lack of training, I question my qualifications.

My intention, which this may be the issue, was to use the same deployment share I already have for Windows 7 WIMs.

On the server I installed Windows 10 ADK v1607.  I have been using MDT 2012 Update 1, but can update that if that's the issue, it would mean recreating the entirety of all three deployment shares.  (side note the company has 3 locations that have MDT/WDS servers)

Tuesday, October 4, 2016 3:41 PM
  • For sure a problem is using a version of MDT that doesn't support Windows 10. Move up to the latest MDT 2013 Update 2

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/dn475741.aspx

When updating to a new ADK, you must first uninstall the previous one. Considering using DFS-R to replicate your deployment share to all three locations (assuming they are setup the same way). By replicating it makes it easier on you to update the main deployment share and then DFS-R will send out the changes.

Maybe pick up a book or two to brush up on your MDT skills. Personally I'd recommend "Deployment Fundamentals" the latest I believe is Volume 6. The appendix of that book covers using DFS-R.

• Marked as answer by HHHuntBrett Wednesday, October 12, 2016 1:30 PM
    Tuesday, October 4, 2016 3:53 PM
  • I will give that a shot. Thankfully it's on a VM, so I can snapshot it before making the changes, just in case something goes wrong.

To replicate content I have been using MDT's Linked Deployment Shares option. 

I sent my boss a note asking to pick one up, considering we're spending so much time on it with out training, I think it should be a go. 

Tuesday, October 4, 2016 4:09 PM
  • DFS-R is a superior option to linked deployment shares. A couple reasons, it uses differential compression (saves you bandwidth and time) and you can control the time frame in which it replicates content. I have mine set to only replicated outside of business hours. If I need to apply changes during working hours I can use dfrsdiag to do that.

I think the book will help. You can also visit Johan's website for supplemental info. Deployment Research

Tuesday, October 4, 2016 5:04 PM
  • The book is on order.  Even after changing to the newer version and recreating the custom WIM I am still having the same issue.  I added the OS Type to the view so that I can see some more information, and Windows 7 custom WIMs are coming up as Windows IBS.  On the other hand the Windows 10 custom WIMs I created are coming up as Windows XP.

Wednesday, October 5, 2016 2:04 PM
  • Maybe there's something (some custom change) in your deployment share that's doing this. You could try creating a new deployment share designed only for building reference images. Then build a your windows 10 reference image using that deployment share. When you import it into your production deployment share, it should also show as Windows IBS (image based setup). When you import your custom image be sure also include the setup files (the wizard will ask).

Wednesday, October 5, 2016 2:17 PM
  • Sorry about the image, but I have can't pull the BDD.log file from the machine.  I will deploy the image to a VM so that I can access the log file. 

Wednesday, October 5, 2016 3:54 PM
  • In trying to make sure the issue isn't an issue of the wrong version.  Here is the version info for the source files I am using.

Version - 10.0.14393

I am using the ADK for Version 1607, just want to make sure the reason I am getting these errors isn't that I am not using the right versions. 
    Thursday, October 6, 2016 3:59 PM
  • That's the right DISM version

Thursday, October 6, 2016 5:47 PM
  • http://deploymentresearch.com/Research/Post/540/Building-a-Windows-10-v1607-reference-image-using-MDT-2013-Update-2

Followed all the steps creating a brand new deployment share and I am still receiving the same errors. 

Friday, October 7, 2016 1:34 PM
  • The book you recommended "Deployment Fundamentals" gave me what I needed.  The biggest reason for using DFS-R that I have read is that it provides better replication if you're having trouble with it.  In our case we have a dedicated fiber channel for backup and WDS/MDT traffic.  As a result we don't have issues with speed.
    Wednesday, October 12, 2016 1:33 PM
  • Glad it helped you, those books really helped me out when I first got started.

Wednesday, October 12, 2016 1:55 PM