none
DPM 2016 End User Recovery isn't working - DPM shares report "The device is not ready" RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

We're having issues getting End User Recovery working in DPM 2016 for our file servers.

• The "Previous Versions" tab reports "There are no previous versions available"
    • The servers are backing up correctly, recovery points are being created and we can restore files using the DPM console
    • DPM is correctly populating AD with the ms-srvShareMapping records

The problem seems to be that the shares on the primary DPM server have been created but report "The device is not ready" when trying to access them.  Looking at the paths that have been shared they all start with \\?\ ie "\\?\C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2016\DPM\DPM\Volumes\Replica\7a26ba55-0a79-4359-b9d1-025166e8e833\8365be07-32e3-4a96-b576-d90db3765e95\Full\Shared"

The path works if you drop the \\?\ from it.

We are using Modern Backup Storage (which is awesome!!)

Has anyone come across this? Has anyone get End User Recovery working with DPM 2016?  Thanks!

Thursday, January 19, 2017 1:44 PM

All replies

• Hi,

File server "end user recovery" (EUR) will not work with Modern Backup Storage (MBS) because it does not use VSS snapshots for recovery points which is what the client tries to enumerate when trying to view previous versions.  The only workaround is to enable VSS shadow copies on the protected file server.  That way clients previous versions will work by looking for shadow copies on the file server.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, January 25, 2017 12:25 AM
  • Thanks Mike - completely missed that in the documentation!

Shame as EUR was a good feature - are there any plans to reintroduce the feature with MBS?

Monday, February 6, 2017 10:25 AM
  • Hi,

Since the Windows client has previous versions feature baked into the redirector and that relies on VSS, DPM has no way to circumvent that flow.

Documentation - Yes, I hear you, I'll see if we can get that limitation added to the release notes.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, February 6, 2017 10:06 PM
  • This is all a bit poor, we've used this feature for several years and I gather using MBS is the preferred solution but then it breaks this functionality.

I'm completely sure I'd call local VSS snapshots a workaround, more an alternative solution.

Jeff

Monday, April 10, 2017 2:58 PM