GETSQL2008DBFilesFreeSpace forced to terminate because it ran past the configured timeout 300 seconds RRS feed

• Question

• We have a SQL cluster that is consistantly reporting the following error:

Forced to terminate the following process started at 
    <Time> because it ran past the configured timeout 300
    seconds.

Command executed: "C:\Windows\system32\cscript.exe" /nologo
    "GetSQL2008DBFilesFreeSpace.vbs" "<Cluster Name>" "<ClusterFQDN>"
    "MSSQLSERVER"
    Working Directory: C:\Program Files\System Center Operations
    Manager\Agent\Health Service State\Monitoring Host Temporary Files
    2450\2125\

One or more workflows were affected by this.

Workflow name: many

Instance name: many

Instance ID:
    many

Management group:

In troubleshooting this error message, we have run the VBS manually on the server and the VBS runs and completes successfully.   On the SQL side, it also appears to report back the data in under the 300 second threshold.  However we are seeing that the connection is active and then is terminated after 300 seconds.

Does anyone have any ideas or further troubleshooting suggestions for this error?  We have other cluster servers that are configured the same and that do not report this error.

Thanks!

Monday, March 24, 2014 7:04 PM

All replies

• The script could be timing out because of any part of the code.

When you run the script manually, run it with the same credentials as the workflow that runs it uses.

Since this is part of the SQL MP, what is the SQL Run as that this would use? Run your command prompt as that user and then run the script to see if it times out. THen put breakpoints/echos to figure out exactly where.

Also, what is the interval for the workflows and do they consistently run past the timeouts?

Tuesday, March 25, 2014 12:03 AM
  • Hi Divyadeep

We are logging in as the SQL Run as account (which is a domain account) onto the SQL Server that owns the cluster and running it from there.   The script completes in a matter of seconds with no errors.  We have put in breakpoints in the script in the hopes of finding a bottle neck but there is none.

The interval is the default interval of 14400 seconds I assume but I am not sure where to set the interval.  I have also tried to figure out how to increase the timeout but I dont know which discovery/monitor/rule to override for this particular script.

Thanks  

Tuesday, March 25, 2014 12:55 PM
  • Hi,

This seems like an known issue:

On a cluster, when there are multiple clustered SQL Server instances, management pack discovery scripts may time out for Database Engines, Analysis Services, and Reporting Services. You might see events 21402.

Please go through the below article for more details:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd279652.aspx

We can find the workflow name based on the event information.

Regards,

Yan Li

Regards, Yan Li

• Edited by Yan Li_ Thursday, March 27, 2014 6:38 AM edit
    Thursday, March 27, 2014 6:36 AM
  • Thanks Yan

I have seen this article before and while it makes sense I am not 100 percent sure it fits our situation.  We do not have multiple clusters or instances of SQL running on this cluster.  We do have analysis services install but I do not think it is doing anything.

Since there is only one SQL and Cluster instance, I am not sure if this applies, however, I used this article to steer me in the direction of increasing the timeout to see if that would help.  The problem is the article doesn't say which discovery to override.   The event information does not tell me which discovery specifically to override either.

Thursday, March 27, 2014 1:14 PM