External Lists and Infopath forms issue with Secondary Data Sources RRS feed

Answers

• You cannot add data connections to External List forms - they are not supported just like the error says.  The only data connections you get are the main ones added by default.  It's an unfortunate limitation that I verified with the InfoPath product team on the MS Connect newsgroups back in Beta stages around November or so.
    SharePoint Architect || Microsoft MVP || My Blog
    • Proposed as answer by Alpesh NAKAR Wednesday, May 12, 2010 4:31 AM
    • Marked as answer by Clayton Cobb Tuesday, September 7, 2010 6:23 AM
    Tuesday, May 11, 2010 4:25 AM

All replies

• This might sound like a weird question, but are any of these secondary data connections not used on any of the views in your InfoPath form?

--
    Bryan Phillips
    MCT, MCSD, MCDBA, MCSE
    Microsoft MVP - SharePoint Services
    Blog: http://bphillips76.spaces.live.com
    Web Site: http://www.composablesystems.net

Wednesday, April 28, 2010 3:53 AM
  • I'm relatively new to InfoPath, however I believe I only have one view (Edit Item).  FYI, I'm using the default form as created by Sharepoint designer when creating and external list from an external datasource.

Also,  when looking at the data connections on the form, I see 3 data connections - Main Data Connection, main external list submit connection, and my secondary data source which I'm using for the dropdown.  If I remove the secondary data source from this list the form publishes fine (but obviously the drop down does work!).  With the secondary data source in the connection list, I get the error message.

Thanks

Wednesday, April 28, 2010 8:14 AM
  • Have you been able to figure this out ? I'm having the same issue
    Monday, May 10, 2010 6:22 PM
  • You cannot add data connections to External List forms - they are not supported just like the error says.  The only data connections you get are the main ones added by default.  It's an unfortunate limitation that I verified with the InfoPath product team on the MS Connect newsgroups back in Beta stages around November or so.
    • Proposed as answer by Alpesh NAKAR Wednesday, May 12, 2010 4:31 AM
    • Marked as answer by Clayton Cobb Tuesday, September 7, 2010 6:23 AM
    Tuesday, May 11, 2010 4:25 AM
  • same issue.. im not able to connect data connections. but in the preview it displays the content but when i want to publish it. it gives me a error saying "additional data connections not supported".

why so?

Tuesday, June 22, 2010 12:42 PM
  • I wasn't told why when I asked.  They just aren't supported - weren't able to get it to work for RTM.
    Tuesday, June 22, 2010 2:10 PM
  • Jeff, secondary data sources are not supported on external list forms.
    Planet Technologies || SharePoint Task Force
    Tuesday, September 7, 2010 6:24 AM
  • Another limitation of infopath forms based on external lists, is that you can't set their trust level either.  They get Domain level trust and that's it!
    Thursday, January 20, 2011 10:18 PM
  • Another limitation of infopath forms based on external lists, is that you can't set their trust level either.  They get Domain level trust and that's it!

What would you do with other than Domain level trust?  You can't add code anyway - what level of trust would you use and for what purpose?
    Thursday, January 20, 2011 10:39 PM
  • Clayton Cobb
    Planet Technologies

Jeff, secondary data sources are not supported on external list forms.

Did anyone ever come up with a workaround for this issue? If I try to "Get choices from fields in this form," I get the following error message: "You selected the field where the control saves data. Instead, select the field where the control looks up data."

I'm curious to whether others have had better success creating forms in MS Access Web Apps that link to SharePoint lists or SQL Server.

Thursday, April 25, 2013 4:36 PM