Windows 7 Pro 64Bit Icon Issue RRS feed

• Question

• Ok, this is my issue.

I have recently started to get the issue that all my icons go to the left side upon a reboot, logoff/on, or right click refresh of my screen.

I have tried the following:

Updated my video drives to the latest

Unchecked the Align to Grid

Uncheck the Auto Arrange

I am a domain admin and have full right to the computer.

I have uncheck the option that a theme can change the icons.

It appears that something in the registry is not getting set properly to remember where the icons are supposed to be. If I logoff/on or reboot the Auto Arrange / Align to Grid option comes back to check and my icons are all to the left.

This is very frustrating.

Thursday, August 9, 2012 2:08 PM

Answers

• I had to remove the profile to get this to go away. Very annoying.
    Monday, August 20, 2012 2:45 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I would like to confirm if the issue occurs on every computer or just specific computer. Did you set any related group policy?

Meanwhile, please find a DWORD value "NoSaveSettings" in right-side pane under following keys:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
    HKEY_USERS\.Default\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
    HKEY_USERS\.Default\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Program Manager\Restrictions 

Once you find the DWORD value, delete it and restart your system to check the result.  

Niki Han

TechNet Community Support

Friday, August 10, 2012 9:18 AM
  • This appears to only be happening to 64bit windows 7 pro machines. I can login to another workstation that is 32bit Windows Pro and this issue does not see to be happening.

The NoSaveSetting DWORD is not on either machine.

Friday, August 10, 2012 12:26 PM
  • I had to remove the profile to get this to go away. Very annoying.
    Monday, August 20, 2012 2:45 PM