none
Disable Auto Update for Adobe Flash Player

Question

• I have some users who are getting prompted to update adobe flash. I am pushing mms.cfg via GPO with the following settings:
    AutoUpdateDisable=1
    SilentAutoUpdateEnable=0
    However some of them still have Allow Adobe to install updates checked.

I have version 18 installed.

What else am i missing? Thank you.
    Monday, July 20, 2015 9:01 PM

Answers

• So i was able to find a bit more information. The reason some users are getting promoted there are two different files, one for x86 and one for x64.

C:\windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash

and

C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash

for some reason the file in SysWOW64 is not coming down.  And i do have the GPO for both locations from a single source. When i run the report i do see gpo is applied.

So i am guessing that if user changes a file on his own the gpo will not update it again.

I tried updating a file in both location and then ran gpupdate and none of the files got updated from the server.

On the GPO file copy i have action:update

source and destination. Attributes only Archive is checked

Under the common tab i have stop processing if an error occurs and item-level targeting checked. Targeting if folder exists.

I think i got it resolved by changing Action to Replace.........

• Edited by Ogeccut Tuesday, July 21, 2015 2:56 PM
    • Marked as answer by Ogeccut Tuesday, July 21, 2015 2:56 PM
    Tuesday, July 21, 2015 12:49 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Based on the description, for this is more related to third party product, in order to get better help, it's recommended that we contact vendor support to ask for advice.

Adobe Flash Player

https://forums.adobe.com/community/flashplayer

In addition, regarding this question, the following thread can also be referred to as reference.

Disabling Adobe Flash Updates via GPO

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/1b755ff5-20bd-4154-a9ef-21cdaa9eee65/disabling-adobe-flash-updates-via-gpo?forum=w7itprogeneral

Best regards,

Frank Shen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, July 21, 2015 8:45 AM
  • So i was able to find a bit more information. The reason some users are getting promoted there are two different files, one for x86 and one for x64.

C:\windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash

and

C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash

for some reason the file in SysWOW64 is not coming down.  And i do have the GPO for both locations from a single source. When i run the report i do see gpo is applied.

So i am guessing that if user changes a file on his own the gpo will not update it again.

I tried updating a file in both location and then ran gpupdate and none of the files got updated from the server.

On the GPO file copy i have action:update

source and destination. Attributes only Archive is checked

Under the common tab i have stop processing if an error occurs and item-level targeting checked. Targeting if folder exists.

I think i got it resolved by changing Action to Replace.........

• Edited by Ogeccut Tuesday, July 21, 2015 2:56 PM
    • Marked as answer by Ogeccut Tuesday, July 21, 2015 2:56 PM
    Tuesday, July 21, 2015 12:49 PM
  • > On the GPO file copy i have action:update

This damn "update" mode is the most misunderstood thing I've ever
    seen... It does NOT update the file - it only updates its attributes.

If you want the file to update, you either need to "replace" (which in
    turn means the file gets copied every time, even without changes...), or
    resort to more sophisticated solutions - like a simple batch leveraging
    robocopy :)

Greetings/Grüße, Martin

Mal ein gutes Buch über GPOs lesen?
    Good or bad GPOs? - my blog…
    And if IT bothers me - coke bottle design refreshment (-:
    Tuesday, July 21, 2015 3:01 PM