How do I get Outlook 365 to show the ACTUAL email address within the "suggestions" when I enter an email address in the "To:" field? (or the "Display As" field, but NOT the "Real Name" field!) RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

When I write an email, when I start to type an email address, how do I get Outlook (365) to show the email address NOT the "Real Name" field in the suggestions?

Failing that how can I get Outlook to show the "Display As" value rather than the "Real Name" field?

Background
    When I start to type an email address in the "To:" field, a very irritating popup list of suggestions appears. These suggestions all show the "Real Names" and if you select one of them, then that is what the recipient sees. Whereas I want to recipient to either just see the actual email address OR to show the "Display As" value.

With thanks

J

PS Why are Microsoft, yet again over-complicating things? And why are they not offering any simple, obvious way of stopping their unwanted complicated behaviours?

• Edited by ship691 Monday, November 13, 2017 11:53 AM
    Monday, November 13, 2017 11:42 AM

All replies

• Hi,

What do "Display As" and "Real Name" refer to in your descriotion? Could you provide an example or screenshot so that we can make sure we've understood the issue correctly? If you cannot upload images in this forum currently, you can share them with us via sending to GBSD TN Office Information Collection ibsofc@microsoft.com. (Please include the thread URL in the message so that we can follow up on it in time)

>>These suggestions all show the "Real Names" and if you select one of them, then that is what the recipient sees.

By this, do you mean what display name the recipients see are defined via the auto-complete suggestions on your Outlook side? In theory, we may have some control over our own display name on the recipient side, but we cannot control the display name of the recipients.

If I've misunderstood something, please feel free to let me know.

Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Chip DeMoss Wednesday, November 15, 2017 4:34 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Chip DeMoss Wednesday, November 15, 2017 4:34 PM
    Tuesday, November 14, 2017 8:43 AM
  • I have the same problem.  When I start entering names in the "To" field, a list of "Recent People" pops up.  If I select a recipient who is already in my Contacts listing, then the "Full Name" of the contact is shown in the "To" field, not the "Display as" email address that is set up in the profile.  I definitely need the "Display as" email address to show to confirm that I am sending it to the correct location, as a number of my Contacts have multiple email addresses.
    Wednesday, November 15, 2017 4:39 PM
  • > What do "Display As" and "RealName" refer to in your description? 

Suppose my data looks like this

Full Name: John Eric Harold Smith
    File as: John Eric Smith
    Email: john.smith@gmail.com
    Display as: John Smith (john.smith@gmail.com)

Now if I want to send a new email, as soon I start to typing I get this:

[This forum software has gone wrong.]

Tuesday, November 21, 2017 10:28 AM
  • Now if I want to send a new email, as soon I start to typing I get this:

And then it ends up looking like this:

==> i.e. Outlook is FAILING to display the "Display As" name. And instead it is using the "Full Name".

What [the heck] is that point of having a "Display As" field if Outlook doesn't use it when displaying the email address of the contact.

This is deeply irritating. Yet again Microsoft is making things over-complicated and extremely counter-intuitive. Hasn't Microsoft done ANY user testing?!

Tuesday, November 21, 2017 10:37 AM
  • I would like to BUMP this!

Can anyone help??

Thursday, November 23, 2017 12:13 PM
  • Thank you for the update. As far as I know, the "Display As" field is used to define the Display Name property when viewing the address book. See:

What Outlook shows in the To field is the Full Name field. If you want Outlook to show the emails address, you can modify the Full Name field of the contact card. See the following example:

Currently, there is no option to change this. If you have any feedback on this feature, you can share your idea to our product team via the UserVoice forum. The team will review the forum and consider whether to change the behavior according to our customer needs.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 27, 2017 9:12 AM
  • Are you seriously trying to tell me the "Display As" doesn't change how an email address is displayed on an email. You have GOT to be joking. 

TOTALLY, totally irritating.  No, I can't be bothered to help Microsoft write half-way decent code. No I am not going to be a guinea pig tester. 

Raise your game Microsoft. Do your own testing. 

Monday, November 27, 2017 3:53 PM