none
Design for Small Organization (Hardware Requirements and Recommendations) RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All........I am looking to design DPM infrastructure for a small organization.  The user base is around 600 and all are placed in a single physical premises. Basic services are required.  What would be best design for such an organization. Single Server with DB/App on the same machine? Hardware Configuration? Would appreciate hardware requirements as well.
    Monday, June 15, 2015 8:42 AM

All replies

• Hi,

thats not enough informations.

DPM does not depend on how many Users, more on how many Servers, Services and Data you will protect. Addtionally you Need to think about Retention Range, Recoverytime, Long Term Retention Range, Archive....

Seidl Michael | http://www.techguy.at | twitter.com/techguyat | facebook.com/techguyat | youtube.com/techguyat

Tuesday, June 16, 2015 5:29 AM
  • Thanks for the reply.

There are around 40 Servers including AD, Exchange, Application, Database, etc.

The main purpose is backup for Disaster Recovery.

Tuesday, June 16, 2015 7:46 AM
  • Hi,

Have you considered Azure Site Recovery or Hyper-V Replica if the main purpose i Disaster Recovery?

When designing your enviroment the main focus should be meeting the requriements of your organization:

• For how long do I need to keep data?
    • How much data can I afford to loose in case of a failure?
    • What is the maximum time a service can be offline? (aka. how long should it take to restore it?)

Try to first find out what you need, then look into what products that can help you achive this!

Kind Regards
    Markus

Wednesday, June 17, 2015 6:44 AM
  • If your site is small then you can get away with using 1 phsyical server with a locally attached tape drive

I would recommend doing both short term (disk based) and long term (tape based) backups. You can have tapes taken off site to meet your DR requirements

You can use disk based backups for quick recovery

You will need to plan your retention requirements on how long you need to keep your backup data

Here is a good tutorial:

http://www.networkangel.net/how-to-use-systems-center-2012r2-data-protection-manager-dpm

Wednesday, June 17, 2015 1:30 PM
  • Thanks for the reply; Azure Site Recovery and Hyper-V Replica not applicable as there is no DR site.

Saturday, June 20, 2015 1:56 PM