WSUS not working RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all

On a SBS 2011 server WSUS content folder was over 110GB in size and it was eating up disk space.

I attempted to use native tools but it crashed after few days of running.  Then I tired using several scripts from TechNet those failed as well.

I declined all superseded updates before running the above tasks but it only managed to free up 5-7 Gb s and that's all.

Since there was nothing much to be done I followed the folliwong article and deleted the content within the WSUS content folder.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/gborger/archive/2009/02/27/what-to-do-when-your-wsuscontent-folder-grows-too-large.aspx

Its over 4-5 days now and I can not see WSUS content folder getting populated and I also can not access SBS console/WSUS console because both crashes after 10-15 minutes while attempting to get information from WSUS.

Server report generation also is not working and when attempted to generate the report manually SBS console crashes.

I m thinking or repairing WSUS as Per the following article but I would like to know if any one has any other suggestions for me to get this issue sorted out.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg680316.aspx

Thanks a lot and happy holidays everyone!

Dhanushka

Wednesday, December 24, 2014 6:51 PM

Answers

• On a SBS 2011 server WSUS content folder was over 110GB in size and it was eating up disk space.

I guarantee you that this condition was caused by this activity not being performed: Removing unneeded update approvals.

I declined all superseded updates before running the above tasks but it only managed to free up 5-7 Gb s and that's all.

Then you missed several thousand additional updates.

Since there was nothing much to be done I followed the folliwong article and deleted the content within the WSUS content folder.

Wonderful. I wish we could find a way to delete that article. It causes exponentially more problems that it could possibly ever solve.

Its over 4-5 days now and I can not see WSUS content folder getting populated

Yep, that's one of the problems with this procedure. First, the WSUSUTIL RESET will take MANY DAYS to complete (especially if you already had 100+ GB of files). Then you'll have to wait for the server to RE-download all 100+ GB of those files (which, at this point, should start to become apparent why the procedure is so useless).

I also can not access SBS console/WSUS console because both crashes after 10-15 minutes while attempting to get information from WSUS.

Yes, another side effect is that the WSUS server is not accessible to the console, nor to clients, while the RESET is executing, and the updates won't be accessible to clients thereafter, until the downloads complete.

I m thinking or repairing WSUS as Per the following article but I would like to know if any one has any other suggestions for me to get this issue sorted out.

Reparing a WSUS installation on an SBS2001 server is a particularly tedious operation, and if you just re-approve those same few thousand updates that are already approved, you'll be right back where you started within a week.

If you reinstall WSUS you'll need to go through and manually approve the *correct* updates.

If you let it finish what it's doing you'll have to clean-up from where you are.

1. STOP/DISABLE the Background Intelligent Transfer Service until the cleanup is complete.
    2. After WSUS finishes running the RESET and you can get back in the console, remove the unnecessary approvals from superseded updates, and right click on those updates and "Cancel Download" to remove the download request from the BITS queue.
    3. Once you've completed that task (it will likely take a few hours of manual effort), what should be left is the few hundred updates that actually need to be approved and about 10GB-20GB of pending downloads. Once you've reached that goal, re-enable the Background Intelligent Transfer Service so that WSUS can download the files it actually needs.

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCSA, MCITP:EA, MCDBA
    SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Packaging, Deployment & Servicing (2005-2014)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.microsoft.com/en-us/mvp/Lawrence%20R%20Garvin-32101
    http://www.solarwinds.com/gotmicrosoft
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

• Marked as answer by Steven_Lee0510 Wednesday, January 7, 2015 9:47 AM
    Sunday, December 28, 2014 5:54 PM
  • can you please tell me how should I know if the process has completed successfully or not apart from checking the console ?

You can monitor the sqlservr.exe process on the WSUS server. When the CPU Utilization of that process drops back to near idle, the RESET has completed. Until it does complete, you'll likely see significant CPU Utilization on that process.

SolarWinds Head Geek
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

Tuesday, December 30, 2014 6:37 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Is there any error or warning related to this issue in the event viewer?

It may give some hints.

Besides, due to this issue is more related to WSUS, to get better help, please allow me to move it to the WSUS forum.

Best Regards.

Steven Lee Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Sunday, December 28, 2014 3:50 PM
  • On a SBS 2011 server WSUS content folder was over 110GB in size and it was eating up disk space.

I guarantee you that this condition was caused by this activity not being performed: Removing unneeded update approvals.

Then you missed several thousand additional updates.

Wonderful. I wish we could find a way to delete that article. It causes exponentially more problems that it could possibly ever solve.

Its over 4-5 days now and I can not see WSUS content folder getting populated

Yep, that's one of the problems with this procedure. First, the WSUSUTIL RESET will take MANY DAYS to complete (especially if you already had 100+ GB of files). Then you'll have to wait for the server to RE-download all 100+ GB of those files (which, at this point, should start to become apparent why the procedure is so useless).

I also can not access SBS console/WSUS console because both crashes after 10-15 minutes while attempting to get information from WSUS.

Yes, another side effect is that the WSUS server is not accessible to the console, nor to clients, while the RESET is executing, and the updates won't be accessible to clients thereafter, until the downloads complete.

Reparing a WSUS installation on an SBS2001 server is a particularly tedious operation, and if you just re-approve those same few thousand updates that are already approved, you'll be right back where you started within a week.

If you reinstall WSUS you'll need to go through and manually approve the *correct* updates.

If you let it finish what it's doing you'll have to clean-up from where you are.

1. STOP/DISABLE the Background Intelligent Transfer Service until the cleanup is complete.
    2. After WSUS finishes running the RESET and you can get back in the console, remove the unnecessary approvals from superseded updates, and right click on those updates and "Cancel Download" to remove the download request from the BITS queue.
    3. Once you've completed that task (it will likely take a few hours of manual effort), what should be left is the few hundred updates that actually need to be approved and about 10GB-20GB of pending downloads. Once you've reached that goal, re-enable the Background Intelligent Transfer Service so that WSUS can download the files it actually needs.

SolarWinds Head Geek

Sunday, December 28, 2014 5:54 PM
  • Hello All

Thanks Steven for moving the post to the correct forum , since this being SBS 2011 I thought SBS forum is the place to post.

Lawrence , many thanks for your detailed explanation.  I completely agree with you on the procedure and WSUS reset process but this was my first time working on WSUS RESET command and I only came aware of the cons of this procedure only after resetting.

Based on what You say I will wait because it appears to be the most suitable thing to do in this situation but since it may take weeks to get completed (Its 10 days since I reset WSUS and still nothing ) can you please tell me how should I know if the process has completed successfully or not apart from checking the console ?  Are there any specific event ID s that I can look for ? Also are there any event ID that I can check to make sure the download process or WSUS REST process is progressing ?

Once again thanks for all your help.

Regards,

Dhanushka

• Edited by PCS-Support Tuesday, December 30, 2014 5:32 PM
    Tuesday, December 30, 2014 5:23 PM
  • can you please tell me how should I know if the process has completed successfully or not apart from checking the console ?

You can monitor the sqlservr.exe process on the WSUS server. When the CPU Utilization of that process drops back to near idle, the RESET has completed. Until it does complete, you'll likely see significant CPU Utilization on that process.

SolarWinds Head Geek

Tuesday, December 30, 2014 6:37 PM
  • Fantastic , many thanks Lawrence.

I will monitor and get back with an update soon.

Regards,

Dhanushka

Tuesday, December 30, 2014 6:43 PM
  • Hello Lawrence

I have stopped and disabled BITS on the SBS server.

Also I assume the listed SQL instance is the one related to WSUS on SBS servers but do correct me if I m wrong.

As you have stated its using quite a bit of CPU cycles so I assume its still going through the Reset process.

Regards,

Dhanushka

• Edited by PCS-Support Tuesday, December 30, 2014 9:18 PM
    Tuesday, December 30, 2014 9:16 PM
  • Also I assume the listed SQL instance is the one related to WSUS on SBS servers but do correct me if I m wrong.

Sure looks like it. :-)

But I must note.. I'm quite intrigued by the presence of *four* sqlservr.exe processes on an SBS server. On a Standard Edition server, SharePoint, WSUS, and any AD services would all be running in the Windows Internal Database. Premium Edition provides a SQL Server Standard Edition license, and everything could (should?) be running in a single instance of SQL Server Standard (although I do often see WSUS still installed to the WID in those cases).

SolarWinds Head Geek

Wednesday, December 31, 2014 5:53 PM
  • Hi Lawrence,

Happy new year!

The other 3 instances are SBSMonitoring, SharePoint and a SQL database for a custom application.

During the holidays the server got rebooted due to a power issue but I still can see the related SQL instance is still using a good chunk of CPU cycles so I home/assume the reset process is still in progress despite the shutdown/reboot process.

Regards,

Dhanushka

• Edited by PCS-Support Friday, January 2, 2015 7:53 PM
    Friday, January 2, 2015 7:51 PM
  • During the holidays the server got rebooted due to a power issue but I still can see the related SQL instance is still using a good chunk of CPU cycles so I home/assume the reset process is still in progress despite the shutdown/reboot process.

Yep... one of the very annoying aspects of that RESET task is that the programmers (back in 2004) make it permanently persistent. There is NO WAY to kill the darn thing off. :-//

SolarWinds Head Geek

Saturday, January 3, 2015 2:50 PM
  • Thanks for the update Lawrence.  I will post back when/if there are any updates.

Regards,

Dhanushka

Wednesday, January 7, 2015 4:01 PM