none
Project Start Date in Project 2010 always at 12PM RRS feed

• Question

• When using the File Info Start Date option to select a Start Date for the project, it always start the day at 12:00PM even if my defaults are at 8:00AM for the start of the day. So when I entered my first task and select the same day, it gives me a message that I'm scheduling before my project start date. Do you have any idea how to change the starting time of that Particular field?

Thanks,

Alain

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 5:11 PM

All replies

• Alain --

What you are seeing is quite odd.  If you click File > Options > Schedule, is your Default Start Time value set to 8:00 AM for the current project and for all new projects?  If not, set the value to 8:00 AM there.  Let us know what you find.

<p>Dale A. Howard [MVP<span>]</span><br/> </p>

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 5:33 PM
  • Yes default Start Time is at 8:00
    Wednesday, July 31, 2013 3:01 PM
  • Alain,

Pardon my jumping in but I'm a little confused. You say you use the File Info Start Date option to set the start date. What exactly is that? As far as I know there is no such option. There is a Project/Properties group/Project Information window in which to set the start date, and there is a FIle/Options/Schedule group where you can set the default task start and end times.

Also, which version of Project are you using? Is it updated with the latest service pack?

And here is something you may find useful in getting to the bottom of the problem. Go to File/Options/General group. Set the Date Format option to show the time as well as the date.

John

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 3:24 PM
  • There is also File/Info/ On the right you will  see below "Project Information" the Start Date field, and it is by showing the hours after the date that I found the cause of my problem.

Let me know if you have the same result.

Thanks,

Alain

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 3:43 PM
  • Alain,

Wow, my bad. I was well aware of File/Info but I never knew you could actually set the start date there, so obviously I stand corrected.

However, you mention that you found the cause of your problem. What was it?

John

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 4:42 PM
  • Sorry, I meant the problem but not the solution
    Wednesday, July 31, 2013 6:03 PM
  • Hi,

I would also suggest to check the Calendar.

Navigate to Project tab > Project Information > Calendar. Make a note of the calendar say Standard and click on cancel.

Further Navigate to Project tab > Change Working Time. In the pop up Select the calendar in the drop down and click on work weeks. Select the work week and click on details and check whether the time is set to 12:00 pm here.

Cheers! Happy troubleshooting !!! Dinesh S. Rai - MSFT Enterprise Project Management

Please click Mark As Answer; if a post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful if a post has been useful to you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 8:24 PM
  • Alain,

You never answered my question as to whether you have the latest service pack installed. For Project 2010 that is SP2. If not, I recommend you install it. Although it most likely isn't relevant to the problem you have it is always a good idea to install service packs.

Since you've already verified that your default start time is set for 8:00 am, let's try a couple of things. You can try the easiest first.

On the assumption that your file may be corrupt, save it as XML and then re-open in Project. Does it now work okay? Note: you will lose any custom formatting.

If the above does not help, you may have a corrupt Global file. First you need to find your working Global. It should be at: c:/[your PC name]/App Data/Roaming/Microsoft/MS Project/14/1033. First close Project then find your working Global and drag it to the trash or even to your desktop. When you open Project it will generate a new default Global file. Do things work properly now?

John

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 8:30 PM
  • It shows 8:00 AM
    Thursday, August 1, 2013 4:07 PM
  • Alain,

Okay, so what does that mean? Is the problem solved? If so, what fixed it? Also, if your problem is solved, please mark this post as answered.

If you still have the problem, I will need to look at your file, if that's possible.

John

Thursday, August 1, 2013 4:32 PM
  • Where do I see the service pack installed? My IT dept. did the installation 3 months ago.

I generated my new global and now the hour is acting randomly. I've started from a blank project and created a 2 days task and a milestone without links. When putting my project start time on august 7, my task starts at 8:AM and my milestone at 12 AM, when switching to august 6, my task starts at 1 PM and my milestone at 12 PM. I went back to august 7 and now both lines start at 4 PM. All that with the Standard calendar set from 8 to 5.

Alain

Thursday, August 1, 2013 5:12 PM
  • Alain,

To check your service pack update, go to File/Help. In the middle on the right hand side you will see "Additional version and copyright information". Click on that. If a service pack is installed it will show up in the version number at the top of the About Microsoft Project window.

The file behavior you are describing is really unusual. Would you be willing to send me your file so I could look at it directly? If so, my address is below. I will ask some questions.

John

jensenljatatfastmaildotdotfm

(remove obvious redundancies and the 7th character is s letter)

Thursday, August 1, 2013 11:01 PM