none
Chrome randomly unable to open MS Project from Project Center

    Question

  • I am using PWA (like Project Server) and like to open up my projects from the Project Center.  Project center randomly fails to open the project when I click on the icon next to the project name.  It gives the error "Sorry, we were unable to open your project.  Please try again.  If this happens again, contact your administrator."  

    When I open the project by opening MS Project and clicking "Open/Project Online (under Project Web App)/Browse/Show me the list of all project/(Then select the project)  It always work.

    Why does the first one fail, and what can I do to stop it.    The funny thing is the first way works about half the time, and I have not discerned a reason when it fails and when it works.  I think things that fail start working again after a while.....

    Tuesday, July 10, 2018 4:15 PM

Answers

  • Hello,

    I also started experiencing this problem with Google Chrome, starting around version 65.

    I found that a combination of a SharePoint patch for Project Server and a patch for Project Professional fixed this issue.

    For reference, the SharePoint patch that I used is the August 2018 CU (KB4032256). My Project Professional 2016 is currently on Version 1808 (Build 10730.20155 Click-to-Run). Older patches may have fixed this problem, but it is hard to tell which patch fixed it since this problem isn't documented within any of the patch notes. 

    This combination of patches worked for me however and I'm able to use Google Chrome to open project schedules in MS Project 2016 now.
    Wednesday, November 7, 2018 10:33 PM

All replies

  • Hello TheHort

    I don't have an answer but I am seeing this behavior as well.  Just confirming what you are seeing. Something recently must have change in Chrome or PWA.


    Michael Wharton, Project MVP, MBA, PMP and a Great Guy <br/> Website http://www.WhartonComputer.com <br/> Blog http://MyProjectExpert.com contains my field notes and SQL queries

    Wednesday, July 11, 2018 1:38 PM
    Moderator
  • Hello,

    I also started experiencing this problem with Google Chrome, starting around version 65.

    I found that a combination of a SharePoint patch for Project Server and a patch for Project Professional fixed this issue.

    For reference, the SharePoint patch that I used is the August 2018 CU (KB4032256). My Project Professional 2016 is currently on Version 1808 (Build 10730.20155 Click-to-Run). Older patches may have fixed this problem, but it is hard to tell which patch fixed it since this problem isn't documented within any of the patch notes. 

    This combination of patches worked for me however and I'm able to use Google Chrome to open project schedules in MS Project 2016 now.
    Wednesday, November 7, 2018 10:33 PM