Standard User Account Start > All programs Menu differant to Admin RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I need to edit the Standard User Account Start > All programs Menu so that is does not display the programs that are installed under the Admin main account. I know that Premium does not have the GPedit.msc nor can it be post installed, so is it must be a registry work around,  or even a 3rd party program, but I cannot find enough details to get a solution.

anyone know how to do this please.

Regards

Simon

Sunday, November 2, 2008 7:01 PM

Answers

• user="Dunstonuk"]

Hi

I need to edit the Standard User Account Start > All programs Menu so that is does not display the programs that are installed under the Admin main account. I know that Premium does not have the GPedit.msc nor can it be post installed, so is it must be a registry work around,  or even a 3rd party program, but I cannot find enough details to get a solution.

Regards

Simon

Simon

This basically works the same way it did in XP. The only difference is the location of the Start Menu folders.

To understand the way the Start menu works, you need to understand which programs appear on that menu.

The Start/All Programs menu will show every program that is installed for your user account, Start\All Programs folder.

Your user account Start/All Programs folder is located at:
    C:\Users\your username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs.

The Start/All Programs menu will also show every program that is in the All Users Start/All Programs folder.

The All Users Start/All Programs folder is located at:
    C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs.

You will need to open those folders under the Standard users account folders and manually remove the shortcuts that you do not want the standard user to have access to. 

To go directly to either one of these folders, right click the Start Button.

Select either Open or Explore and this will open Windows Explorer to:
    C:\Users\your username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

Select either Open All Users or Explore All Users and this will open Windows Explorer to:
    C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

Many applications will place a shortcut or folder with shortcuts in both locations either by default or when you select the 'Install for all users' option in the programs installation options. Other programs will place their shortcuts in both folders by default without asking.

Hope this helps.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience
    Monday, November 3, 2008 12:41 AM
  • Simon

OK, perform the following.

You might want to make a backup copy of these icons  to an empty folder somewhere in your user account folder for safe keeping.

Remove the icons from the Standard User account Programs folder.

Next, 'move' the icons from the location for All Users to 'your' Programs folder and let them replace the same icons in that folder.

Once this is done, you will want to monitor any further installs to make sure that a shortcut is not placed in that all users folder.

Hope this helps.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Monday, November 3, 2008 5:25 AM

All replies

• user="Dunstonuk"]

Hi

Regards

Simon

Simon

This basically works the same way it did in XP. The only difference is the location of the Start Menu folders.

To understand the way the Start menu works, you need to understand which programs appear on that menu.

The Start/All Programs menu will show every program that is installed for your user account, Start\All Programs folder.

Your user account Start/All Programs folder is located at:
    C:\Users\your username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs.

The Start/All Programs menu will also show every program that is in the All Users Start/All Programs folder.

The All Users Start/All Programs folder is located at:
    C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs.

You will need to open those folders under the Standard users account folders and manually remove the shortcuts that you do not want the standard user to have access to. 

To go directly to either one of these folders, right click the Start Button.

Select either Open All Users or Explore All Users and this will open Windows Explorer to:

Many applications will place a shortcut or folder with shortcuts in both locations either by default or when you select the 'Install for all users' option in the programs installation options. Other programs will place their shortcuts in both folders by default without asking.

Hope this helps.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Monday, November 3, 2008 12:41 AM
  •  

Hi Ronnie

Firstly Thanks for anwering this post Smile

However

The

Works fine,  but the

Removes the shortcots/inof from the main account as well, which is not what I need.

I need to remove them from his account so he can not go and willy nilly click on things and break the system, belive me a 14yr old kid with nothing more on his mind that hormones and "Lets see what this does" will break it in no time.

I hope there is a solve  for this.

Thanks

Simon

Monday, November 3, 2008 2:22 AM
  • Simon

OK, perform the following.

You might want to make a backup copy of these icons  to an empty folder somewhere in your user account folder for safe keeping.

Remove the icons from the Standard User account Programs folder.

Next, 'move' the icons from the location for All Users to 'your' Programs folder and let them replace the same icons in that folder.

Once this is done, you will want to monitor any further installs to make sure that a shortcut is not placed in that all users folder.

Hope this helps.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Monday, November 3, 2008 5:25 AM
  •  

Great Thanks .

Regards

Simon

This is the best place to come to get the correct answers

Monday, November 3, 2008 6:11 AM
  • Simon

Glad this helped.