none
Windows Updates - why no auto restart

Question

• KB4015438 has just winged its way on to my PC

I started my PC and discovered that, yesterday - MS had decided to download a massive file - fair enough - I went off to do other things, expecting to return to find my PC up and running and ready for a days work

But I was wrong - Windows update had stopped at 30% and NOT rebooted my PC - Leaving me with another 30 mins + after a manual reboot

Why does this keep happening ?

It seems logical to me, to automatically reboot a PC half way through an update, because, surely - when a PC is switched on - the user requires it to be running ASAP ?

Come on MS - Pull your socks up......

Thursday, March 23, 2017 9:06 AM

Answers

• I was looking for answers as to why no "AUTO RESTART" half way through the update occurred .....

The update, though a silly size has been downloaded and installed OK

Your earlier post in this thread mentioned the 30% point so I assume you are referring to the shutdown side of the required reboot.  This is typical of those updates that require a reboot (i.e. 0-30% > restart > bootup > 30-100%).

You mention that the update "downloaded and installed OK," but actually the installation does not complete until the bootup side of the required reboot.

The required reboot consists of a 30% portion on shutting down with the remaining portion on the bootup side.  You may think the installation is complete before the required reboot but that is not correct.

Based on my own experience, there have been a few occasions where the 30% shutdown will appear to hang (at 30%).  I assume this is what you refer to as "no AUTO RESTART."  I realize that this delay may be inconvenient but it is best to let it complete without forcing the shutdown.  It will eventually shutdown and automatically bootup to complete the installation (30-100%).

• Marked as answer by Steeboo Thursday, March 30, 2017 6:38 AM
    Wednesday, March 29, 2017 7:15 PM

All replies

• You can get the stand-alone package for this update, go to the Microsoft Update Catalog website.

S.Sengupta, Windows Insider MVP

Thursday, March 23, 2017 3:42 PM
  • Hi,

“Windows update had stopped at 30%”
    Is the update stuck in downloading, installing or applying?

Please take the following step to troubleshoot this issue. If there is any antivirus software installed, please turn them off temporarily.
    1.Open an administrator command line and run "sfc /scannow" or "dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth" to check the health of system files.
    2.Run the built-in troubleshoot tool to have  a diagnostic :
    Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Troubleshooting\All Categories\Windows Update
    3.Check the symptom in a clean boot environment.

If the issue persists, please check the Event Viewer (Event Viewer \Windows Logs \Application, System, Setup ), the "Windowsupdate.log"(update won`t be downloaded) (Search it directly) and CBS.log (C:\Windows\Logs\CBS) (update install failure) for more information to troubleshoot this issue. If you have troubles in analyzing this issue, you can upload them to the OneDrive and paste the link here.

Best regards,
    Joy.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, March 24, 2017 9:53 AM
  • You have missed my point...

I was looking for answers as to why no "AUTO RESTART" half way through the update occurred .....

• Edited by Steeboo Friday, March 24, 2017 2:31 PM
    Friday, March 24, 2017 2:30 PM

I was looking for answers as to why no "AUTO RESTART" half way through the update occurred .....

Forgive me for appearing to be argumentative.

Why is it logical to have the system auto restart when it is ONLY halfway through the updating ?
    What's the point of auto restart at mid point ?

On the contrary, it would be plausible to ask the system doing auto-restart AFTER updates were downloaded and completed.
    However, a lot of people had balked at the idea because they could be in the middle of a project and auto-restart would wipe out everything they had done.

That is why Microsoft has given users a Restart schedule to choose from as well as a Restart Now button AFTER updating is completed.

In short, nobody wants auto-restart. Everyone wants to have control on when to commence restart.

Friday, March 24, 2017 7:12 PM

Forgive me for appearing to be argumentative.

Why is it logical to have the system auto restart when it is ONLY halfway through the updating ?
    What's the point of auto restart at mid point ?

On the contrary, it would be plausible to ask the system doing auto-restart AFTER updates were downloaded and completed.
    However, a lot of people had balked at the idea because they could be in the middle of a project and auto-restart would wipe out everything they had done.

That is why Microsoft has given users a Restart schedule to choose from as well as a Restart Now button AFTER updating is completed.

In short, nobody wants auto-restart. Everyone wants to have control on when to commence restart.

The whole problem is the fact that when I am trying to start my PC - And discover that, on the last use - it downloaded a massive update and now needs to install it prior to allowing me access - it installs half of the update then SHUTS DOWN - leaving me to reboot and to then wait another few minutes whilst it finishes the update  - that is what I mean !!

Why can it not reboot automatically to finish its installation rather than just dying and leaving me to discover this and do it manually ?

• Edited by Steeboo Saturday, March 25, 2017 10:05 AM
    Saturday, March 25, 2017 10:04 AM
  • Hi,

We could config the auto restart setting after complete updates through the “Restart options” in Start\Settings\Windows Update.

Best regards,
    Joy.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, March 29, 2017 9:56 AM
  • All that did for me was allow me to set a restart time - thanks but no help at all !!
    Wednesday, March 29, 2017 2:35 PM
  • I was looking for answers as to why no "AUTO RESTART" half way through the update occurred .....

Your earlier post in this thread mentioned the 30% point so I assume you are referring to the shutdown side of the required reboot.  This is typical of those updates that require a reboot (i.e. 0-30% > restart > bootup > 30-100%).

You mention that the update "downloaded and installed OK," but actually the installation does not complete until the bootup side of the required reboot.

The required reboot consists of a 30% portion on shutting down with the remaining portion on the bootup side.  You may think the installation is complete before the required reboot but that is not correct.

Based on my own experience, there have been a few occasions where the 30% shutdown will appear to hang (at 30%).  I assume this is what you refer to as "no AUTO RESTART."  I realize that this delay may be inconvenient but it is best to let it complete without forcing the shutdown.  It will eventually shutdown and automatically bootup to complete the installation (30-100%).

• Marked as answer by Steeboo Thursday, March 30, 2017 6:38 AM
    Wednesday, March 29, 2017 7:15 PM