none
Problems updating drivers with a local account vs domain account in Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm experiencing a strange problem when updating drivers in Windows 7. Before joining the machine to the domain, the local administrator account is able to update and modify device drivers perfectly fine. However, after joining the computer to the domain, the local administrator account is unable to update and change the drivers, with the error 'Access is denied' being given (for example, when installing my multimedia audio controller drivers I get the message 'Windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install it. Access is denied.').

I've gotten this when trying to update drivers for different devices in the system. Interestingly, domain accounts which are added to the same local administrators group as the administrator account, ARE able to perform these changes. There seem to be no other problems/differences between the local and domain accounts.

Does anybody have any insight as to what could be the problem?

Thanks,

Sina

Thursday, May 27, 2010 8:33 PM

All replies

• Maybe this behavior is caused by one of the policies that are applied with GPOs. You may run the following command to export the policies applying situation and check with it. Please run the following command with administrator privilege.

gpresult /z > %userprofile%\desktop\gpresult.txt

Open the file gpresult.txt from Desktop and check the result.

Also you can contact the domain administrator for such information.

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Monday, May 31, 2010 7:58 AM