none
Microsoft Edge crashes after upgrading to Creator Update 1703

Question

• I see these two events in Microsoft-Windows-TWinUI/Operational log

Activation via contract helper of the app Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe!ContentProcess for the Windows.ComponentUI contract failed with Server execution failed.

Activation of the app Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe!ContentProcess for the Windows.ComponentUI contract failed with error: The app didn't start..

I tried logging in with another user

SFC /scannow

And removing an reinstalling with the powershell command.

All did not help

Friday, April 21, 2017 2:18 PM

All replies

• To reset Edge I have delete;

C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe

Clears it, including favourites and all (synced favourites will return). That does break Edge for the user. To get it running again from an admin PowerShell prompt;

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers -Name Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml" -Verbose}

Try that see if that helps.

Friday, April 21, 2017 9:07 PM
  • I had similar issue. For me it appeared that Edge was conflicting with Software Restriction Policies saved with previous edition of Windows 10. When I have deleted the policy from Local Security Policies snap-in, Edge started working again.

Thursday, April 27, 2017 8:39 PM
  • You had already tried many of the troubleshooting steps but they did not fix the problem yet.

If the above step did not yet fix it yet see these links for possible solutions with reset and reinstall:

https://www.howtogeek.com/237527/how-to-reset-microsoft-edge-in-windows-10/

http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-reinstall-microsoft-edge-in-windows-10/
    Thursday, April 27, 2017 10:41 PM
  • I've tried this twice, but so far it's not working.  Edge still crashes.
    Monday, May 8, 2017 8:09 PM
  • I've tried this twice, but so far it's not working.  Edge still crashes.

Can you elaborate please, what did you try twice? If the PowerShell command what was the output? (copy and past the command and output here)

When does Edge crash? i.e. on open or another time?

Monday, May 8, 2017 8:28 PM
  • In the left lower corner search enter reliability to view the reliability control panel.

See if there is any information that coincides with the time of the crash that may have caused or contributed to it.

https://www.howtogeek.com/166911/reliability-monitor-is-the-best-windows-troubleshooting-tool-you-arent-using/

If it continues to crash see if you can capture the dumps for analysis:

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/app_crash_view.html

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bb787181(v=vs.85).aspx

Monday, May 8, 2017 8:32 PM
  • As Mr. Happy said, reset Edge via PowerShell command is a normal method, it is effective.

If you have tried it but no help, try to create a new admin account and test Edge again, there is a possibility that your profile broken during upgrade.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, May 17, 2017 7:22 AM
  • Edge has crashed twice on me just recently. This is something new. Another thing Edge is not doing, is saving Tabs. I'd say upon opening Edge, four times it will save Tabs. The next time it won't. It's making me very emotional and almost to tears so I cannot continue now.
    Sunday, June 4, 2017 1:53 AM
  • I have been experimenting lately with McAfee Endpoint Security Suite and I reproduced this very same error. By any chance do you have McAfee or any other older security products installed?

If yes, you might want to try disabling or removing them altogether to see if it resolves the issue. I haven't nailed down the exact root cause, but I know for a fact disabling the McAfee products solved the problem for me personally. It's still a bit cryptic of an answer, but I am currently trying to diagnose the root cause down to the settings level, and I'd imagine there are a lot of scenarios that could cause this to occur.

In my particular scenario the McAfee Solidcore 8.0 product is blocking the Microsoft Edge browser. As soon as I disable the product the problem goes away. If I reenable the product the problem comes right back, so I 100% positive it's interfering with the Edge process.

Sunday, June 18, 2017 9:46 PM
  • I was getting the same 2 errors and Edge following applying the 1703 update, as well as with a clean image.

However, I did find a fix for our environment after failing with the cache issues and the workarounds for syspreps.

See:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/windows-10-creators-update-1703-has-a-enforcement/5829ccda-b7c8-4769-b715-ad8b360c5ef3?rtAction=1499311197493

Hope it helps,

Thursday, July 6, 2017 4:21 AM
  • I had similar issue. For me it appeared that Edge was conflicting with Software Restriction Policies saved with previous edition of Windows 10. When I have deleted the policy from Local Security Policies snap-in, Edge started working again.

Hi Michal256, could you please explain your answer in order to possibly help other fix their problem.

thank you

Wednesday, July 12, 2017 4:29 PM
  • Hi,

In order to fix the issue, I have performed the following actions:

I have opened the Local Security Policy from Administrative Tools.

In a snap-in in a left pane I have located Software Restriction Policies.

I have right-clicked Software Restriction Policies and chose Delete Software Restriction Policies.

At this point MS Edge stopped crashing on launch. In my case I had only a default policy set up, which was used for testing purposes back in anniversary update. After creating a new default policies in Creators Update, the problem did not resurface, which leads to assumption it's somehow caused by old policies created before the update. The system is a computer with local users only, not connected to any AD domains.

• Edited by Michal256 Wednesday, July 12, 2017 7:48 PM
    Wednesday, July 12, 2017 7:46 PM
  • The OP's problem is that it is related to Domain users with domain / roaming profiles.

This still has not been resolved in the July updates - all the steps of deleting the Edge files within the Users profile and using Powershell to re-install Edge do not work.

Thursday, July 13, 2017 10:23 AM
  • Hi,

I have right-clicked Software Restriction Policies and chose Delete Software Restriction Policies.

At this point MS Edge stopped crashing on launch. In my case I had only a default policy set up, which was used for testing purposes back in anniversary update. After creating a new default policies in Creators Update, the problem did not resurface, which leads to assumption it's somehow caused by old policies created before the update. The system is a computer with local users only, not connected to any AD domains.

I tried your solution, but then on our domain policies: to no avail.
    We did have the software policies in place, but not configured. So deleting the software restrictions was no issue. Edge however, still crashes.

Our situation is as follows:

Clean image with build 1703, deployed with MDT 2013
    --> Edge crashes on local administrator account, either before and after domain join
    --> Edge crashes on a local user account, as above
    --> Edge crashes on domain accounts

The issue occurs even directly after the device is freshly imaged, so even before any other software could 'corrupt' anything

We do not use default profiles (because they are also still screwing things up) so the local administrator account should have default settings.

p.s. we enable UAC on the Local admin account; so it isn't the fact that Edge thinks that it's unsuable :)

Friday, July 21, 2017 2:58 PM
  • Hi,

I tried your solution, but then on our domain policies: to no avail.
    We did have the software policies in place, but not configured. So deleting the software restrictions was no issue. Edge however, still crashes.

Our situation is as follows:

Clean image with build 1703, deployed with MDT 2013
    --> Edge crashes on local administrator account, either before and after domain join
    --> Edge crashes on a local user account, as above
    --> Edge crashes on domain accounts

The issue occurs even directly after the device is freshly imaged, so even before any other software could 'corrupt' anything

We do not use default profiles (because they are also still screwing things up) so the local administrator account should have default settings.

p.s. we enable UAC on the Local admin account; so it isn't the fact that Edge thinks that it's unsuable :)

We have the exact same issue on domain joined machines, which since today - the rollout of the Creators Update for CBB (Current Branch for Business), has started to occur. I remember having similar issues with the initial version of Windows 10 in 2015, which Microsoft fixed a few weeks later...
    Friday, July 28, 2017 3:00 PM
  • Same problem here.

Reinstalling EDGE by removing folders in Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe, and PoSH commands didn't help us.

Friday, August 4, 2017 10:01 AM
  • Here's what eventually helped me, after having killed quite a bit of time troubleshooting this issue:

1) In-place Windows 10 v1703 re-installation by running Setup.exe from Windows 10 installation mediafrom an active Windows session. Once finished, that kept all the apps and settings, but Edge still didn't work.

2) DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth.

3) Finally, MS Start menu troubleshooter.

Your mileage may vary...

• Edited by Noseratio Monday, August 14, 2017 2:01 PM
    Monday, August 14, 2017 1:58 PM
  • I have been experimenting lately with McAfee Endpoint Security Suite and I reproduced this very same error. By any chance do you have McAfee or any other older security products installed?

If yes, you might want to try disabling or removing them altogether to see if it resolves the issue. .

That's the tack that was used in this older related thread.  Supposedly the latest update fixes it provided you uninstall the interferer--a different one as it happens.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/windows-10-creators-update-1703-has-a-enforcement/5829ccda-b7c8-4769-b715-ad8b360c5ef3?rtAction=1499311197493

But there seem to be multiple related symptoms under the "Edge won't open" description so who knows if it fixes them all.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Monday, August 14, 2017 9:40 PM
  • I have attempted all of the suggestions but to no luck.  Here is the report from the reliability monitor:

Faulting application name: MicrosoftEdge.exe, version: 11.0.15063.447, time stamp: 0x5948acf2
    Faulting module name: EMODEL.dll, version: 11.0.15063.540, time stamp: 0xc81a45cc
    Exception code: 0xc0000409
    Fault offset: 0x00000000000eb3bc
    Faulting process id: 0x56ac
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d315e19aaa6586
    Faulting application path: C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\MicrosoftEdge.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\EMODEL.dll
    Report Id: 5ef4741a-de37-4fc0-975d-03ac2f8ff486
    Faulting package full name: Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_40.15063.0.0_neutral__8wekyb3d8bbwe
    Faulting package-relative application ID: MicrosoftEdge

Tuesday, August 15, 2017 4:17 PM
  • I have attempted all of the suggestions but to no luck.  Here is the report from the reliability monitor:

Faulting application name: MicrosoftEdge.exe, version: 11.0.15063.447, time stamp: 0x5948acf2
    Faulting module name: EMODEL.dll, version: 11.0.15063.540, time stamp: 0xc81a45cc
    Faulting process id: 0x56ac
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d315e19aaa6586
    Faulting application path: C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\MicrosoftEdge.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\EMODEL.dll
    Report Id: 5ef4741a-de37-4fc0-975d-03ac2f8ff486
    Faulting package full name: Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_40.15063.0.0_neutral__8wekyb3d8bbwe

From an admin command prompt try a system file check;

SFC /scannow

Takes 30 mins to run or so, run that twice reboot see if that helps.

Tuesday, August 15, 2017 5:05 PM
  • Same issue here with one of our own machines.  All has been good with Windows 10 until the update to 1703 in the last couple of days.  We don't tend to use Edge that often, so we didn't notice the issue until several hours after the update had completed.

Edge opens, but I noticed the bookmarks bar was missing, the browser pane was blank and the whole thing just didn't somehow look right.  10 Seconds later, Edge closed itself.  And that seems to be where we're at with it.

Event logs show:

Activation of app Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe!ContentProcess failed with error: The app didn't start. See the Microsoft-Windows-TWinUI/Operational log for additional information.

Faulting process id: 0x2ee4
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d31675b6a22a1b
    Report Id: 65c2b190-c1cd-4af3-b136-1df68d191eea

Having searched the issue online, the "big fix" seems to be to delete C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe

and then run elevated Powershell Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers -Name Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml" -Verbose}

So we ran that and the PS command reports that it completed and yes, it replaced the Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe package, yet the issue persists.

This is non-domain computer, so only has one local user.  We created a second local user with admin rights and logged in as the new user and tried to open Edge.  Same result - a fairly blank canvas for 10 seconds and then Edge closes.

Next option was to run SFC /scannow from an elevated prompt which looked like it may take some time, so we left that running overnight.  Next morning we find that has completed, but not reporting any issues.  Nevertheless, we rebooted the machine two or three times to see of we had any progress, but no, Edge just opens displaying pretty much nothing in the main window pane and then after 10 seconds, closes.

I'll keep on eye on the suggested fixes on this thread, but I'm not going to lose too much sleep over it, as Chrome and Firefox are both working without issue, as are all the other apps on this machine.  I still wish I hadn't run the update though, as I've not yet seen anything of benefit over what we had with 1607.  We have StorageCraft ShadowProtect on this machine and I've considered restoring our last backup image of 1607, but as it's only Edge that is having issues, I might just run with it and see what develops.

• Edited by Inovix Wednesday, August 16, 2017 5:27 PM
    Wednesday, August 16, 2017 10:59 AM
  • This worked for me on v1703 Enterprise. I think my problem was copying my profile from v1607 manually instead of just using USMT. =/

Where ever you go, there you are.

Thursday, August 17, 2017 2:35 PM
  • On many PC's I've had a problem where Edge started with a blank page and hang...I've found a solution by doing:

deleting the content:

C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCache,

C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache 

and the file  C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCacheLock.dat

From the Administrator account before adding a new user...(hidden and system files...must be unticked)

Maybe you will have Edge up and running after that...

Saturday, September 2, 2017 2:08 PM
  • I had same issue in my job and after some weeks i got fix it. I put a video on YouTube with the step by step to fix:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ho1G088NoHk
    • Proposed as answer by brainflurry Monday, September 11, 2017 11:10 PM
    Thursday, September 7, 2017 1:27 PM
  • Hat tip to rafaeljsc.

I've attempted to reset or reinstall Microsoft Edge using the PowerShell instructions here:

https://www.howtogeek.com/237527/how-to-reset-microsoft-edge-in-windows-10/

When that did not resolve my issue, I observed a number of other sites and videos that just re-packaged the instructions above, with the notable exception of rafaeljsc's Youtube video. His video includes one important step that the others do not which is the command below for the addition of a specific registry key:

reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Spartan" /v RAC_LaunchFlags /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

So, the full solution is to perform the PowerShell reset of Microsoft Edge found at the How To Geek link above and then add the registry key using the command above from an ELEVATED command prompt. You can access an elevated command prompt by typing "command" (without quotes) in the search bar next to the Windows Start button and right clicking on the "Command Prompt" option that appears and then selecting "Run as administrator"

Alternatively, you can follow the step by step instructions in rafaeljsc's video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ho1G088NoHk

• Proposed as answer by KJSTech1 Thursday, September 28, 2017 7:31 PM
    Monday, September 11, 2017 11:24 PM
  • i had tried all of the above steps many times w/o success..

adding the registry key mentioned above fixed it instantly..

reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Spartan" /v RAC_LaunchFlags /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

from elevated command prompt

Thanks rafaeljsc

• Proposed as answer by KJSTech1 Thursday, September 28, 2017 7:30 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by KJSTech1 Thursday, September 28, 2017 7:31 PM
    Wednesday, September 13, 2017 1:07 AM
  • Hats off to rafaeljsc

Just the added step of that reg key in addition to what we'd already done has resolved the issue!  Welcome back, Edge.

Friday, September 15, 2017 9:32 AM
  • Many thanks @rafaeljsc - brilliant, (upvoted) - as I had already done the Edge re-install via Powershell (after renaming the original folder named "C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe" with a .OLD on the end signed in as the real Administrator) I was stumped until I came across your easy fix. I ONLY needed to run the "reg add" command as in your video.

It was odd that the re-install worked on the Desktop (WIN10 PRO) - but did NOT on the Laptop (Win10 Home edition) - until I added your important last step of the adding in the new Registry Key, and as others have found - Edge springs back to life!. As some have stated somewhere (maybe another forum) - Edge is a SystemAPP on W10 Enterprise, Normal/UWP on W10 Pro - and it seems a different internal structure again under W10 Home - maybe the script developers for the updates and rollups are not aware of the subtle differences, or not fully testing the environment/suitability of the placement of required Registry entries.  Hopefully MS will add in a basic fix script for this issue using your useful input (maybe they can squeeze it into the Fall CU)?

Saturday, September 16, 2017 9:20 AM
  • Wow amazing, I have dealt with this ever since the creators update came out.

IN fact just got a BRAND NEW Galaxy Book 10 inch 2 in 1 that I am setting up for one of our employees.  Out of the box it came with anniversary edition and everything worked.  Before giving it to the end user I wanted it fully updated.  Once I got Windows 10 updated to build 1703 and paid for the in place Windows 10 pro upgrade, I then placed it on the domain.  Since then Edge broke!  This command:

Resolved the issue.  I did not have to run it from an elivated prompt.  In fact when I first ran it from an elevated prompt it didn't work, likely because I supplied my admin user name's credentials, so when it wrote to HKCU (Current User) it wrote that in the registry for my domain admin user, not my regular domain user account.

I'm going to write a script and add it into our domain login scripts that if Windows 10 build 1703 is detected to automatically place that once in the users registry.

EDIT:  Does anyone even know what RAC_LaunchFlags means or does?  What does RAC stand for, and are we lowering our security or doing any harm by this setting?

• Edited by KJSTech1 Thursday, September 28, 2017 7:43 PM Asking if anyone knows what the regkey does
    • Proposed as answer by alee67 Thursday, October 12, 2017 6:18 AM
    Thursday, September 28, 2017 7:34 PM
  • I spent ages researching and found a cmd command which adds a registry key to each user profile and fixes this issue. I don't claim ownership or have any real idea what the command is actually doing but if you repeat the process for each user account on a local machine then the problem is resolved. I don't know about redirected accounts on a domain.

open cmd as administrator

copy and paste this:

reg add “HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Spartan” /v RAC_LaunchFlags /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

press enter

Edge is fixed

• Proposed as answer by Frank Hoffman Wednesday, October 4, 2017 3:13 PM
    Wednesday, October 4, 2017 7:24 AM
  • I can confirm that this works
    Wednesday, October 4, 2017 3:13 PM
  • Hi! This worked fine in 1703. After upgrading to 1709 Edge crashes again after 3 seconds. Frustating...
    Tuesday, October 24, 2017 1:53 PM
  • How do I get to cmd as administrator?  Thanks.
    Saturday, December 9, 2017 3:04 PM
  • How do I get to cmd as administrator?  Thanks.

Press Win-x A

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Saturday, December 9, 2017 7:45 PM
  • We use Windows 10 Enterprise in a domain, and the rafaeljsc fix worked, with a couple minor modifications. Here is what worked for us:

C:\>cd c:\users\<username>\appdata\Local\Packages

c:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Packages>rd Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe /s /q

c:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Packages>cd ..

c:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local>cd microsoft\windows\pricache

c:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\PRICache>rd Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_40.15063.674.0_neutral__8wekyb3d8bbwe /s /q

c:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\PRICache>powershell

THIS IS THE KEY DIFFERENCE --> 

>> PowerShell Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\AppxManifest.xml" -Verbose

VERBOSE: Performing the operation "Register package" on target

"C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\AppxManifest.xml".

VERBOSE: Operation completed for: C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\AppxManifest.xml

... and then the registry key:

Reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Spartan" /v RAC_LaunchFlags /t REG-DWORD /d 1 /f

I had done the first two steps from another source, incompletely, from other links a week earlier. If I had not done that, the registry key alone may have worked, as others reported.

Thank you for this information - I appreciate the help from this forum!

Monday, January 15, 2018 10:03 PM
  • @RustySmith1962 there is a typo in your last step. REG-DWORD is incorrect with the hyphen and instead should have an underscore and read:

Reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Spartan" /v RAC_LaunchFlags /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

This solution looked quite promising since I am also a Windows 10 Enterprise user on a domain, but launching Edge from the Start Menu dies silently after 3 seconds still. Invoking it from a Command Prompt or PowerShell (Admin or not) results in an error message: "The app didn't start."

Event Viewer shows the Application Error:

Faulting application name: MicrosoftEdge.exe, version: 11.0.16299.192, time stamp: 0x5a4a1924
    Faulting module name: EShims.dll, version: 11.0.16299.15, time stamp: 0x7d9d287c
    Exception code: 0xc0000602
    Fault offset: 0x000000000000c6e3
    Faulting process id: 0x924
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d38f1890c1b7f2
    Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\EShims.dll
    Report Id: e3bd9dd5-bad5-4551-a8bc-9e5cc884c815
    Faulting package full name: Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_41.16299.15.0_neutral__8wekyb3d8bbwe

and Windows Error Reporting Information:

Fault bucket 1816488657043880205, type 5
    Event Name: MoAppCrash
    Response: Not available
    Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
    P1: Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_41.16299.15.0_neutral__8wekyb3d8bbwe
    P2: praid:MicrosoftEdge
    P3: 11.0.16299.192
    P4: 5a4a1924
    P5: EShims.dll
    P6: 11.0.16299.15
    P7: 7d9d287c
    P8: c0000602
    P9: 000000000000c6e3
    P10: 

Attached files:
    \\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER3F1C.tmp.mdmp
    \\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER4066.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml
    \\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER4080.tmp.csv
    \\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER40A0.tmp.txt

These files may be available here:
    C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_Microsoft.Micros_14ae368f50a3b75e51ad3a63186bd27b0d3b57d_61ccbbe8_23b043fe

Analysis symbol: 
    Rechecking for solution: 0
    Report Id: e3bd9dd5-bad5-4551-a8bc-9e5cc884c815
    Report Status: 268435456
    Hashed bucket: 58ef8ac7f0992c75393576cf35a0790d

• Edited by TaeKwonJoe Tuesday, January 16, 2018 10:27 PM formatting for easier reading
    Tuesday, January 16, 2018 10:20 PM
  • We have same problem with Windows 10 Enterprise and

Reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Spartan" /v RAC_LaunchFlags /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

fix problem with edge crash.

But finaly we found crash reason in our GPO. In one GPO we have software restriction policy and this policy diallow Microsoft store.

C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.WindowsStore*
    Security Level Disallowed
    Description  
    Date last modified 17.05.2016 15:03:21

After change Disallowed to unrestricted EDGE works perfect without editing registry.

• Edited by KonstantinSh Friday, January 26, 2018 6:34 AM
    • Proposed as answer by mbulmer Tuesday, May 15, 2018 7:34 PM
    Friday, January 26, 2018 6:32 AM
  • This seems like something I could try if the machine I was working on was Win 10 Pro (it isn't, its home), and also, imagine I'm not a server technician (I'm not, I'm a desktop technician) and I have no clue how to do what you suggested.

Step-by-step instructions that anyone could follow would be very helpful.  Don't assume that everybody reading here already has an MSCE qualification.

Friday, April 13, 2018 11:37 AM
  • This seems like something I could try if the machine I was working on was Win 10 Pro (it isn't, its home)

In which case you won't have a GPO to worry about and then probably don't have the same problem cause.  Are you looking at a 0xc0000409 in an Emodel.dll too?  FWIW I think I once had one of those but it definitely wasn't associated with a GPO...  

Here's an example where the poster gave an explanation of what the symptom may mean

Edge crashing within a minute after Creators update (page=2) (MainSoft August 19, 2017)
    <quote>

noticed that for each crash in MicrosoftEdgeCP.exe, the exception code is 0xc0000409, which indicates a stack buffer overflow, which in turn often indicates a recursive endless loop which makes the call stack grow until it has no more space available. Hence the delay between the program launch and the crash : depending on the system and the available memory for the call stack, it takes more or less time to crash. Just a guess...

</quote>

If you need help it would be a good idea to post your own details in your own new thread.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Friday, April 13, 2018 2:52 PM
  • The reg key addition fixed me! I'll be watching for policy related issues, but at least I'm over this hump.

Oh, an elevated user context isn't required to make changes to HTCU and the changes are applied immediately, BTW, if anyone cares...

Friday, May 4, 2018 2:53 PM
  • I have been banging my head against a wall for weeks trying to figure out why some of our clients are experiencing this crashing issue and have tried everything suggested thus far, with no success.

This Registry key fixed it for us. Thank you so much!

Tuesday, May 15, 2018 8:04 PM