none
How to take image of current VM for future use? RRS feed

• Question

• I have installed Windows 10 Evaluation and necessary softwares. Now I would like to use this copy for future purpose once 90 evaluation done. 

Basically I want to make copy of it. 

ItsMeSri SP 2013 Foundation

Thursday, February 13, 2020 5:09 PM

All replies

• You could export it for later use.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Thursday, February 13, 2020 5:26 PM
  • Hi,

You can either export the virtual machine like Dave mentioned, check the link below on how to accomplish this:

Export and Import virtual machines
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/virtualization/hyper-v/deploy/export-and-import-virtual-machines

Or you can simply copy the VHDX files (virtual hard drive files).

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

Thursday, February 13, 2020 6:21 PM
  • Hi ItsMeSri,

Thanks for your post!

Please check if I understand it correctly: you would like to copy the VM, so when the 90 evaluation days timeout, you want to recovery the VM from the copy.

If I misunderstand it, please feel free to let me know.

=============

1. Others have mentioned the ways to copy the VM: export it and import it. 

2. However, if you want to import it when the original VM is unlicensed, then we can't use the original GUID of the original VM. So, when we import the VM, we may need to select do not use the original GUID.

Note, since this method may not legal from Microsoft License angle, we might get unexpected issues in the future use.

So, from my point of view, it's recommended to license your VM instead of use the copy to keep running the VM.

Thanks for your time! If you have any other concerns or questions, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Anne 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, February 14, 2020 6:44 AM
  • If do not mind license restrictions of evalution, you can use "Hyper-V Quick Create gallery image".

Here is a guide, how to do it - https://www.hyper-v.io/hyper-v-quick-create-vm-gallery-create-one/

Friday, February 14, 2020 3:07 PM
  • Hi ItsMeSri,

Greetings!

I am writing to check if you have any other concerns or questions about the issue?

If yes, please feel free to let us know, if not, please mark useful post as answer.

Thanks for your time!

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Saturday, February 15, 2020 2:00 AM