SCCM 2012 Installation Issues - Cannot Find Solution RRS feed

• Question

• Good Afternoon All - 

I'm installing SCCM 2012 today for the company i work for.  Previously, I've installed SCCM 2007 numerous times and 2012 about a half dozen times so am familer with the process and expected issues.  This time, though, I'm getting something I haven't run into before and need help.  Below is the environment as well as the issues I'm having.  Please help! - Thanks!

Environment

- x2 Virtual Machines running Windows 2008 R2 x64 - Fully Patched

- One of the VMs has had the prerequisites loaded for SCCM and will be the dedicated SCCM server

- The other VM is for SQL.  It has SQL 2008 SP2 CU9 Standard freshly installed.

Note:  We will eventually put the SQL DB on out SQl Cluster - but - it's not up to speed on updates so currently isn't compatible.  Therefore, I have created the above SQL VM with the lowest supported version of SQL so that once the cluster is upgraded, the DB can be moved to it.

- Created an account named "sccmadminsvc" with domain admin rights.  It's set as a local admin on both the SCCM and SQL VM

- Created the System Management container under System and deligated full rights of the SCCM VM's hostname to it.

- SCCMAdminSVC is local admin on both VMs / SCCM Hostname is local admin on SQL VM

The Issue

I start the SCCM installation to set it up as a typical, primary site.  I accept the licenses & enter key; enter updates path; enter in specs of site; languages; and set to Install the primary site as standalone site.

For Database information, Ichange Server Name for SQl server from SCCM VM's hostname to SQL VM's FQDN keeping the rest default.  I use the SCCM VM FQDN as SMS Provider, then set to configure the communication method per role.  After that a couple more things.

Now, it runs a prereq check before installing.  After doing so, I get the following WARNINGS

WSUS SDK on site server

Verify site server permissions to publish to active directory

Configuration for SQl Server memory usage

- SQL Server process memory allocation

- Site System to SQL Server Communication

I am used to a couple of those, but not the System Management container one and SQL Communication.  

Details from C:\ConfigMgrPrereq.log (For the 2nd and last WARNING)

ERROR: Site server does not have create child permission on AD 'System Management'

WARN: Site server does not have delete child permission on AD 'System Management'

SVRSCCM02.domain.com;    Verify site server permissions to publish to Active Directory.;    Warning;    The site server might be unable to publish to Active Directory. The computer account for the site server must have Full Control permissions to the System Management container in its Active Directory domain. You can ignore this warning if you have manually verified these permissions. For more information about your options to configure required permissions, see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?LinkId=233190.

ERROR: Connected to SQL Server but failed to execute query IF NOT EXISTS (select * from master.sys.server_principals where name='DOMAIN\SVRSCCM02$') BEGIN CREATE LOGIN [DOMAIN\SVRSCCM02$] FROM WINDOWS; SELECT 1; END ELSE SELECT 0

ERROR: Failed to connect to SQL Server SVRSCCM02.domain.com.

SVRSCCM02.domain.com;    Site System to SQL Server Communication;    Warning;    A communication error has been detected between the specified site system and the site database computer. This error can occur when the site database server is offline or if a valid SPN has not been registered in Active Directory Domain Services for the SQL Server instance hosting the site database. Setup cannot continue.

What I've Tried

- Verified System Management container permissions

- Recreated System Management container from scratch

- Re-extended schema (Successful just like 1st time)

- Verified firewall is off

- Verified SCCMAdminSVC has sysadmin rights to SQLServer

- Few other small things

- Searched Google enough to be confident this error will be in top 5 searches of day

It's very possible that it's something simple.  Any ideas?  If you have any questions, please let me know - Thanks!

Ben K.

Friday, June 1, 2012 9:18 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hey Ben,

For the last one

"SVRSCCM02.domain.com;    Site System to SQL Server Communication;    Warning;    A communication error has been detected between the specified site system and the site database computer. This error can occur when the site database server is offline or if a valid SPN has not been registered in Active Directory Domain Services for the SQL Server instance hosting the site database. Setup cannot continue."

please verify the TCP ports for sql. Make sure it is not using dynamic ports.

The AD container one is fine. It is not going to block setup and neither is it going to fail setup.

-Moiz

Friday, June 1, 2012 11:03 PM
  • Ok - on the SQL server in configuration manager, TCP is set to use 1433 by default.  During SCCM setup, though, the TCP port you are prompted to enter (don't remember it exactly but something like 4022) was left at default.  Don't know if it needs to be the same - but - tried installing with both set as their defaults as well as setting the SCCM config to 1433.

I received the same result both times - Windows firewall is off, too.  Does that answer your question?

Thanks!

Ben K.

Friday, June 1, 2012 11:18 PM
  • Hi Ben, isn't this thread a duplicate of your thread here, http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/configmanagerdeployment/thread/f58b09af-17e6-46a3-883c-c29b338b2d2a ?

Anyway, what account is used to run the SQL Server? If it's a Active Directory user account, and not the local system, you need to define the SPN like mentioned in your other thread. Also SCCM uses the server computer account to connect to the SQL Server so your SCCM server account (Active directory computer account) needs to have Administrative rights on the SQL server and it needs to be able to access the database so you need to add the SCCM server computer account to your SQL server also. 

Mats Hellman | My Blog: http://www.nixadmins.net| Twitter: Mats_Hellman | LinkedIn Mats Hellman |

Saturday, June 2, 2012 7:19 AM
  • I see the other thread had an answer set, closing this one
    Thursday, November 22, 2012 10:11 AM