IS Management Server Clustering possible with APP-V 4.6 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Is Clustering of Management Server Possible with new version of APP-V 4.6.

but sure with APP-V 4.5 management server is not supported in Clustering, possible with Software and hardware loadbalancing.

Many thanks in advance.
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 2:46 PM

Answers

• Hi,

currently availabe BETA of App-V 4.6 indicates the MS does not encorporate any major changes on the SERVER side. The 4.6 release is highly dedicated to the client. In fact, the 4.6 Beta ships with 4.5.1 server components.

To get High Availability, any Load Balancing (like Microsoft NLB) is supported. Additionaly, NLB adds scalability enhancements.

#From a technicla perspective, there is almost no need to have a clustered solution, because App-V's client and server communication is quite robust and can deal quite good with a situation of a completely failing server.

Falko
    • Proposed as answer by znack Thursday, October 29, 2009 7:19 PM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Friday, July 8, 2011 12:58 PM
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 3:32 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Since the product isn't released I would assume that this information will become available as soon as the product is released.

/Znack
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 2:51 PM
  • Hi,

currently availabe BETA of App-V 4.6 indicates the MS does not encorporate any major changes on the SERVER side. The 4.6 release is highly dedicated to the client. In fact, the 4.6 Beta ships with 4.5.1 server components.

To get High Availability, any Load Balancing (like Microsoft NLB) is supported. Additionaly, NLB adds scalability enhancements.

#From a technicla perspective, there is almost no need to have a clustered solution, because App-V's client and server communication is quite robust and can deal quite good with a situation of a completely failing server.

Falko
    • Proposed as answer by znack Thursday, October 29, 2009 7:19 PM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Friday, July 8, 2011 12:58 PM
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 3:32 PM
  • Hi

The IPD document states performance issue with NLB with 6 or more nodes. I do have 6 nodes of management server which i am thinking to put in NLB.

After reading this.....I am thinking for Clustering of Management server if possible.

From the above post it looks like clustering of management server is not possible currently with version 4.5  and 4.5.1.

Many Thanks.
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 3:57 PM
  • Well, I'd start with these 6 nodes using WinNLB. Depending on the actual (streaming) load and the hardware equipment, they should be able to serve quite a large amount of users with App-V applications.

That - of course - depends on several parameters.

If you don't "jump start" with thousands of concurrent streaming sessions, you could start with WinNLB and monitor the environment a little. If you face sort-of degrated performance, you may consider using a hardware load balancer (that also offers some other useful node checks) or you may split up your servers based on the tasks Publishing vs. Streaming.

What's seen quite often (by the way) is that Management Servers' RAM usage is left at its defaults (512 MB) and thus ressources are wasted...

Falko
    Friday, October 30, 2009 1:47 PM