none
ALT + TAB Aero Peek Not Working The Same As Before

Question

• Using Windows 10

My alt+tab was working fine, but now the "Peeking" feature is not working anymore.

It used to be that if I tabbed over to a different window, without releasing the alt it would show me a preview of that window alone. I usually have several similar looking apps open, so I need to see which one I need to go to. The view itself is fine, I like the way Windows 10 does it. It just used to show me the window that I was on in the Tab view. Like after a few seconds of being in the Alt+Tab screen on a specific window, it would make the others transparent, and leave the one window I am on normal, so I could see what it looked like full screen, not just a thumbnail.

All my Aero Peek options are turned on, as the check marks show in Advanced Setting and Display settings

Also noticed that in my Registry Editor, in the Windows, visual effects, explorer, I do not have any alt-tab setting but there is a Disable Aero-peek, should that be there?

Please Help!

Max

Tuesday, February 2, 2016 12:34 PM

Answers

• Hi Michael,

It's the ALT+Tab he is referring to. It worked (in Windows 8) the same way the original poster described, but not in Windows 10. Will try to submit a feedback on this.

Ramesh Srinivasan | The Winhelponline Blog

• Edited by Ramesh Srinivasan Wednesday, February 3, 2016 7:50 AM
    • Marked as answer by Maxi136 Wednesday, February 3, 2016 12:26 PM
    Wednesday, February 3, 2016 7:50 AM
  • It is not the Aero flip and that doesnt even work for Windows 10. CTRL+WINDOWS KEY+TAB does nothing on my Windows 10 computer. The task view is better, but still not what I'm looking for . Previously when in the alt+tab screen, while still holding CTRL on a certain window it would make all other windows transparent. It would show the outline of the windows and showed the one window you were on as normal. Like so:

Ref-http://www2.connectseward.org/shs/students/students14/students14b/willbrown/windowsShortcuts/Images/aero-peek-alt-tab.jpg

It seems it is not a feature on windows 10, I put in a feedback for it and as Mr.Happy said I am not the only one who has entered a feedback for this. There were others requesting the feature to be returned.

Max

Wednesday, February 3, 2016 12:19 PM

All replies

• Can you say if you ever had this 'peek' in Windows 10 as I do not get it. Also post the location of the registry key you are looking at and I will have a look at mine and have a play on test machine see if changing that has any affect.

Tuesday, February 2, 2016 6:42 PM
  • Honestly, I am not a 100% sure if I did ever had it on Windows 10. I don't think so since I just noticed it and we just switched to Windows 10. It was just a feature that I really liked so when I went to do it, it caught my attention.

I assume that I did not ever have it on Windows 10, I believe we had Windows 7 prior to the update.

Max

Tuesday, February 2, 2016 7:05 PM
  • Well tried the alt-tab on Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB 10240, Windows 10 Pro 10586 aka TH2 and Windows 10 preview 14251 all do the same. Bring the preview screens up larger than previous Windows but do not give a big preview, i,e the screen you start with in focus stays in focus behind the smaller windows showing the screens.

Both Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 I tried with alt+tab display the preview smaller but bring the corresponding windows into focus behind. So different in 10 no focus behind but larger previews.

So not 100% sure but think Windows 10 has always been that way (certainly since general release). Windows Key+tab is different again on 10 but not sure if that is any better for what you want.

Tuesday, February 2, 2016 9:23 PM
  • I don't think Windows 10 ever did it either, is this a feature I can turn on?? Or is it all gone for good???? If this is something I can not do anymore, is there somewhere's I can provide feedback to say I would like that feature back?

Max

Tuesday, February 2, 2016 9:39 PM
  • Well maybe someone else will chime in with away to get this preview going on Windows 10.

The Feedback place in the place for feedback. Search start for feed (need to be logging in with a MS account to use it). Searching feedback for 'alt tab peek' appears to show a few uses requesting the same thing.

Tuesday, February 2, 2016 9:42 PM
  • Okay, thank you. Good to know i'm not the only one and that I wasn't imagining the "peeking" feature

Max

Tuesday, February 2, 2016 9:44 PM
  • Hi Maxi136,

Are you talking about Aero Flip 3D ?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/using-aero-flip-3d

It is built in Windows 7, and the shortcut is Ctrl + Win Key +tab.

For task View switch, it is the same in both Windows 7 and Windows 10.

For Windows 10, you could just click on the Task View on taskbar, to switch the task.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/getstarted-group-apps

As Mr.Happy suggested, please take use of Windows Feedback App to submit feedbacks.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview-updates-feedback-pc

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, February 3, 2016 6:38 AM
  • Hi Michael,

It's the ALT+Tab he is referring to. It worked (in Windows 8) the same way the original poster described, but not in Windows 10. Will try to submit a feedback on this.

Ramesh Srinivasan | The Winhelponline Blog

• Edited by Ramesh Srinivasan Wednesday, February 3, 2016 7:50 AM
    Wednesday, February 3, 2016 7:50 AM
  • It is not the Aero flip and that doesnt even work for Windows 10. CTRL+WINDOWS KEY+TAB does nothing on my Windows 10 computer. The task view is better, but still not what I'm looking for . Previously when in the alt+tab screen, while still holding CTRL on a certain window it would make all other windows transparent. It would show the outline of the windows and showed the one window you were on as normal. Like so:

Ref-http://www2.connectseward.org/shs/students/students14/students14b/willbrown/windowsShortcuts/Images/aero-peek-alt-tab.jpg

It seems it is not a feature on windows 10, I put in a feedback for it and as Mr.Happy said I am not the only one who has entered a feedback for this. There were others requesting the feature to be returned.

Max

Wednesday, February 3, 2016 12:19 PM