none
DPM 2010 - Exchange 2007 - Bare Metal Backup Setup RRS feed

• Question

• I have been scouring the search engines for a simple guide suggestion on how to do a bare metal backup of my exchange 2007 server running on Windows Server 2008 w/ SP 2. I am running a single Exchange 2007 server with all roles on the same box. The following is the setup I have:

Exchange 2007 : storage size is 593 GB total / 117 GB Used (C:).

DPM 2010 : 4 TB storage pool iSCSI connected (2 x 2 GB iSCSI in the DPM storage pool)

I have a protection group setup already for the Exchange DB. I want to create a second protection group for the System State/Bare Metal Protection. What is the best way to do this? I know BM writes straight to the DPM storage pool. What sizes are recommended for the Recovery Point Volume and Replica Volume based on my storage size on the exchange server? Thank you.

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 3:28 PM

Answers

• Hi jgeorges,

You can set up BMR protection for a computer by using the Create New Protection Group Wizard. You can select BMR protection from under the System Protection node on the Select Group Members page of the wizard.

DPM does not have any space requirements on the protected computer for BMR protection. WSB directly transfers the backups to the DPM server. DPM reserves 30 GB of space on the replica volume for BMR. You can change this by using the Disk Allocation page in the Modify Protection Group Wizard.

Size of BMR backup can be roughly calculated sum of used space on all critical volumes.

Critical volumes = Boot Volume + System Volume + Volume hosting system state data

To see which volumes are included in the BMR backup, run this command from an administrative command prompt: wbadmin.exe start backup -allcritical -quiet -backuptarget:%1

The %1 will cause it to fail if you proceed by answering Y, but will show what volumes are included in the backup.

technet link: http://technet.microsoft.com/fr-fr/library/ff634208

other usefull link: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/dpmssandbmrbackup/thread/c6d4da4d-3417-4bfe-b81d-fa93cf2147ef

Stephane.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties. knowledge is valid only if it is shared by All.

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 7:32 PM