none
Unknown USB Device (Set Address Failed)

Question

• I have a Kingston HyperX 64Gb memory stick, formatted FAT32, that Win8.1 doesn't recognize. I plug in the memory stick to any USB 3 or 2 port on a Dell XPS15-9530 and Win8.1 appears to recognize it, assigns a drive letter then immediately says "unknown USB device (set address failed)". The memory stick works OK in two other Win7 machines. Interestingly, yesterday, Win8.1 was saying that the USB device was unknown because Device Descriptor Request Failed but that has now changed to Set Address Failed.

BIOS is up to date. All updates to Win8.1 have been applied. Kingston have no drivers for this device. I've tried setting USB power setting "Selective Suspend Setting, both battery and plugged in, to disabled and it makes no difference. I've removed the device in "devices and printers" and then rescanned in device manager with no success. Is there anything further I can do?

Friday, April 4, 2014 11:12 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Please follow steps in this article especially pay attention to the registry part:

Help! After installing Windows 8.1, my USB drive disappears or file transfers stop unexpectedly…
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/usbcoreblog/archive/2013/11/01/help-after-installing-windows-8-1-my-usb-drive-disappears-or-file-transfers-stop-unexpectedly-r-a-post-title.aspx

Kate Li
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, April 7, 2014 7:55 AM
    Owner
  • Thanks for your help. However, I followed the instructions in the blog post but it made no difference. What I've noticed is that once I've plugged in the memory stick Windows seems to recognise it, assigns a drive letter, pops up a window asking something about unknown content, then immediately closes that window and then up pops the message "Unknown USB device".

Edit: I can't get the system to reproduce the "Set address failed" problem, instead it now states "Device Descriptor Request failed"

• Edited by philipW999 Monday, April 7, 2014 9:01 PM Additional info.
    • Proposed as answer by Electro x64 Monday, September 19, 2016 5:43 AM
    Monday, April 7, 2014 7:20 PM
  • A recently released (19th April) BIOS update fixed this problem.
    Tuesday, April 29, 2014 5:04 PM
  • I am having the same issue with a Kingston HyperX 256Gb running on Window 10 Surface Pro 3.
    Thursday, October 22, 2015 6:05 PM
  • I have a Kingston HyperX 64Gb memory stick, formatted FAT32, that Win8.1 doesn't recognize. I plug in the memory stick to any USB 3 or 2 port on a Dell XPS15-9530 and Win8.1 appears to recognize it, assigns a drive letter then immediately says "unknown USB device (set address failed)". The memory stick works OK in two other Win7 machines. Interestingly, yesterday, Win8.1 was saying that the USB device was unknown because Device Descriptor Request Failed but that has now changed to Set Address Failed.

BIOS is up to date. All updates to Win8.1 have been applied. Kingston have no drivers for this device. I've tried setting USB power setting "Selective Suspend Setting, both battery and plugged in, to disabled and it makes no difference. I've removed the device in "devices and printers" and then rescanned in device manager with no success. Is there anything further I can do?

Wednesday, September 28, 2016 10:06 PM
  • I can reproduce the "set address failed" problem with firstly uninstall the unknown usb device in device manager, and restart the pc. 
    Wednesday, January 18, 2017 7:57 PM
  • I've update the bios but it still doesn't work. 
    Wednesday, January 18, 2017 8:43 PM