none
Hyper-V Clustered servers within a cluster

Question

• Hi All,

We have a Hyper-V cluster consisting of two servers in our primary site with windows server 2012 R2 with iSCSI CSVs. We have another host at a DR site that is not part of the cluster however we are replicating servers from our primary site to our DR site via Hyper-V.

The scenario is that we have several file network shares hosted on different servers connected via iSCSI that i would like to consolidate. These shares consist of:

• Company documents
    • User profiles
    • Software shares

Our thoughts are to build two 2016 servers within the cluster and setup a windows cluster between them. Using the roles, we would move the existing file shares and setup DFS Namespaces for them. At the DR site we will setup another server that will have DFS enabled and sync the file shares.

Does anyone see any issues with this configuration?

Does anyone have any better suggestions how we should configure this?

Thanks in advance.

Tuesday, March 21, 2017 9:59 PM

Answers

• Leo and Tim, thanks for the replys. Sorry for the delay i have been away.

I love the suggestion of storage replicaiton, my only thought is (and i was not able to confirm with online resources) can i have cross site file shares available using this technology?

What i mean is, with DFS the Namespace will direct users to their nearest file share eg Local server vs remote server. Can storage replications do the same in terms of referrals?

If not i'm thinking DFS might still be the best option in conjunction with storage replication for HA?

• Marked as answer by JustdaveIT Sunday, April 9, 2017 10:20 PM
    Thursday, March 30, 2017 3:01 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Your configuration is OK.

Which goal are you hoping to achieve?

If you want to backup the data, you could also use storage replica for the data, and DFS is not required.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server-docs/storage/storage-replica/storage-replica-overview

Best Regards,

Leo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, March 22, 2017 6:34 AM
  • DFS can be dangerous for 'syncing' file shares.  Synchronization occurs only on file closure.  If any of the files are open for extended periods of time, they will not be synchronized.  Windows Server 2016 has a new feature called Storage Replication.  It looks like it is a better fit than DFS for what you are proposing to do.

tim

Wednesday, March 22, 2017 1:10 PM
  • Hi,
    Are there any updates?
    You could mark the reply as answer if it is helpful.
    Best Regards,
    Leo

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, March 30, 2017 2:23 AM
  • Leo and Tim, thanks for the replys. Sorry for the delay i have been away.

I love the suggestion of storage replicaiton, my only thought is (and i was not able to confirm with online resources) can i have cross site file shares available using this technology?

What i mean is, with DFS the Namespace will direct users to their nearest file share eg Local server vs remote server. Can storage replications do the same in terms of referrals?

If not i'm thinking DFS might still be the best option in conjunction with storage replication for HA?

• Marked as answer by JustdaveIT Sunday, April 9, 2017 10:20 PM
    Thursday, March 30, 2017 3:01 AM
  • Hi JustdaveIT,

"

• It does not allow user access to the protected data on the destination while replication is ongoing

"

I'm afraid you are right .

Please check the following article ( "Replacing DFS Replication with Storage Replica" part ) :

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server-docs/storage/storage-replica/server-to-server-storage-replication

Best Regards,

Elton

Sunday, April 9, 2017 11:55 AM