Install Windows Update failure on Windows Server 2008 R2 system RRS feed

• Question

• Dear Microsoft technical support,

Recently a few month, we have some physical server (run windows server 2008 R2) install windows update file (KB) failure through WSUS. When install windows update completed, server reboot, enter windows system, screen display "Failure Configuring Windows Updates Reverting change" message. 

I refers your technical document (below link) and try to fix this windows update problem

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2509997/you-can-t-install-updates-on-a-windows-based-computer

Please find attach report as below. This report record my solution result. But not successful finally.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/17reWlZ4I76K9_D65L7M-xvraiM3h3tpP (file name: Report for resolve windows update installation failure.doc)

I also send you below log files. Please help check and provide solution to me. Thank you very much

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/17reWlZ4I76K9_D65L7M-xvraiM3h3tpP

(file name: CBS.log / CheckSUR.log / WindowsUpdate.log)

Thank you very much

Best regards

Vincent Kan

Thursday, November 15, 2018 7:21 PM

All replies

• Hi,

According to this issue, we can check whether the updates are applicable for the server 2008 R2 or they are superseded by others. 

From the log, we cannot find any error currently, so we can also manually download the update from MS in server 2008 r2, and install it to test the update. If it is not successful, it should be the update itself problem. 

Best regards,
    Johnson
    =====================
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    Friday, November 16, 2018 3:18 AM
  • Hi Johnson,

Would you help make test for manual download and install update files on your server 2008 r2 ?
    Now some of your KB files can't installed. Are there any problems with these KB files themselves ?

This month (November 2018), 2008 server auto download and install the following three important KB files from us WSUS server, but all install failed. Therefore, I try one by one manual install the following important KB file, KB4467106 and KB4466536 files install successful, but KB4467107 file install failed. Does this KB4467107 file have any problem itself ? Can you help verify ? Please give me root cause and how to fix this issue

KB4467107, KB4467107 and KB4466536 

Please help check the following update logs file again that related to above three KB

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/17reWlZ4I76K9_D65L7M-xvraiM3h3tpP

Log files: CBS.log / CheckSUR.log / WindowsUpdate.log

Capture screen file: KB installation on Nov.jpg

Thank you very much

Best Regards

Vincent Kan

Sunday, November 18, 2018 6:11 PM
  • Hi Vincent,

I see your forum about updates installed failed. The process "SmcGui.exe" seems to prevent the updates installing, and after rebbot, it starts automatically. So you should stop the process and set it not automatically start when reboot the computer.  

Besides, I check the details about KB4467106, KB4467107. Although the offical article does not say that one is superseded by another, they are many patches are the same, so this cause the KB4467107 file install failed.

Hope my answer could help you and look forward to you feedback.

Best regards,
    Johnson
    =====================
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    Tuesday, November 20, 2018 3:21 AM
  • Hi Johnson,

I already uninstall whole "Symantec Endpoint protection" antivirus software that include "SmcGui.exe" file from server. After reboot the server, I try to  install windows update KB files, but most of KB file still install failure.
    What is the root cause ?  How can I fix this issue ?   I had been bothered on this question for a long time.  Thanks

best Regards

Vincent Kan

Tuesday, November 20, 2018 9:39 PM
  • Hi Johnson,

No response,

How about this problem ?  Any news ?

Thanks

Best Regards

Vincent Kan

Monday, November 26, 2018 6:30 PM
  • Hi,

Sorry for reply delay. I test it in my own lab. These three updates all install fine. 

After uninstall the Symantec Endpoint protection, we could check the latest log files.

Best regards,
    Johnson
    =====================
    Tuesday, November 27, 2018 5:20 AM
  • Hi Johnson,

I don't understand why we have some windows 2008 server can success install all three KB file "KB4467106", "KB4467107" & "KB4466536", but some windows 2008 server success install only two file "KB4467106" & ""KB4466536", but "KB4467107" install failure.  I think that is not Symantec Endpoint Protection" problem. Have other problem cause this situation ?  Please help to find root cause and solution.  If you need some log files (let me know what log file) for checking, I will send to you.    Thank you very much.

Best regards

Vincent Kan

Wednesday, November 28, 2018 12:08 AM
  • Hi Johnson,

Ok, now provide you log files. (remark:  the following two windows 2008 Server have install SEP software)

Case 1.  We have some windows 2008 server can success install all three KB file "KB4467106", "KB4467107" &  "KB4466536". Please find log files as below list 

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1fLsAwUlA-Zwb75IQxIhzec4BLIdSbUUu

Case 2.  We have some windows 2008 server success install two KB files ""KB4467106" & "KB4466536", but "KB4467107" install failure. Please find log files as below list 

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/10CNe2UDHegdeisCfczDCC_cCBBDQXtrz

Please help check above log file.  I hope you can find root cause and then provide me solution.  Thank you very much.

Best regards

Vincent Kan

• Edited by VKanSC Wednesday, November 28, 2018 1:08 AM
    Wednesday, November 28, 2018 1:06 AM
  • Hi Johnson,

How about for my issue ? 

Best regards

Vincent Kan

Monday, December 3, 2018 12:56 AM
  • Hi Johnson,

Any news ?  Please update me.

Thanks