none
Reports in MS Project Server 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am working on Project Server 2013

Are there any reports for Early warning scenario and What-If scenario in MS Project 2013?

K.Gokulraj

Tuesday, March 24, 2015 11:54 AM

All replies

• Hi,

You will have to be a little more specific about your business need.

• At what level do you need to do what-if scenarios (project, portfolio, program)?
    • Based on what information?
    • What are your criteria for warning analysis (cost, delay, EV)?
    • Compared to what (budget, Baseline, custom fields)? 
    • Are you expecting reports in MS Project, PWA?
    • With which technology (SSRS, Excel, Power BI)?

For example the portfolio analysis allows you moving the project start date to be compliant with your resource capacity and so doing what-if capacity analysis. At project level, using the multi-level undo or simply saving locally the project, doing some adjustement and comparing the new project to the one on the server can help for making scenario.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller |

Tuesday, March 24, 2015 12:03 PM
  • Hi,

I need Project level reports for example:

1.If a deadline is near I need Early Warning Notification

2. If cost exceeds the baseline

Same for what-If:

1. If I miss the deadline what will happen

Are these possible to do in MS Project 2013? or Can it be done through some other technology.

Regards,

K.Gokulraj

K.Gokulraj

Tuesday, March 24, 2015 12:24 PM
  • All you mentionned is indeed possible, but with several different ways.

You could create a task custom field with a formula based on the deadline date and the status date. When the task arrives in a certain delay before the deadline, a flag is set so you can vizualise it. Then if the task becomes overdue compared to the deadline, another flag is set. Then you can color the bar style in the gantt based on those flags (orange than red for example). You can take a similar path for the cost versus the Baseline. That being said, there are many other way to do it. You can for example code/create an SSRS report with tasks close to the deadline and overdue tasks. My suggestion would be first to mock up your report design and content with the business and only after this design phase, envision how to create it. The business need must drive the technical solution.

Again for the what-if, you could use several solutions. You could create a local master project and playing with external dependencies to track slippage impacts. You could also use the portfolio analysis to delay project finish date to check impact on capacity.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller |

Tuesday, March 24, 2015 12:54 PM
  • Are you using PowerPivot/Query? If so, I'd advise creating these custom measures in the BI reporting model rather than in the transactional system. Task custom fields have a detrimental impact on overall system performance. If the need is truly BI only, then do it in your BI models.

Treb Gatte, Project MVP | Blog | Twitter | YouTube Channel

Wednesday, March 25, 2015 12:32 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

Could you please share some link where these custom fields details have been shared with examples?

Regards,

K.Gokulraj

K.Gokulraj

Thursday, March 26, 2015 9:55 AM