Word 2010 Hangs During Autosave RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have a computer lab with 30 computers running Windows 7 SP1 and Office 2010 SP1.  All the users experience an issue where Word goes into a "Not Responding" state when autosaving.  The result is either a long wait for the autosave to complete, or a "Disk Full" error message.  They are saving to their network share, which has plenty of free space.  The computers have 2 GB of RAM and over 100 GB free on C:.   Does anyone know what causes this? 

Friday, December 14, 2012 10:13 PM

Answers

• Hello,

I found out what was the problem.  I viewed my switch and noticed many collisions.  I replaced the switch and all is working now.  Thank You.

• Marked as answer by jsetaro Wednesday, December 19, 2012 2:29 PM
    Wednesday, December 19, 2012 2:29 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Is that means you have modified the AuotRecover file location to the network share?

If so, try change to another network share, see if the problem still persists.

If the problem persists, try modify it back to a local folder, see if the problem still persists.

If the problem won't occur when auto save to a local folder, try temporarily disable the firewall or/and the anti-virus software and check if the problem still occur when auto save to the network share.

Max Meng
    TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by Naomi N Wednesday, December 19, 2012 2:04 PM
    Tuesday, December 18, 2012 3:09 AM
  • Hello,

I found out what was the problem.  I viewed my switch and noticed many collisions.  I replaced the switch and all is working now.  Thank You.

• Marked as answer by jsetaro Wednesday, December 19, 2012 2:29 PM
    Wednesday, December 19, 2012 2:29 PM
  • I had similar problems and the suggestion to re-point the default auto-save location to a local storage location e.g. somewhere on C:\ does help.

Adding a few more points to this suggestion:

Avoid being fooled into thinking your selecting a local storage location by using a location that is both local and synced to a network folder. Common practice in enterprise is for Mydocuments to be an offline network folder that mirrors a network location within your enterprise network. Make sure you explicitly specify a C:\.. type folder name AND ensure that this location isn't actually the local copy of a network folder.

Also be aware that some enterprise networks impose the auto-save location via central systems policies, so you can find that depending on how aggressively these systems policies are enforced that your auto-save location may revert to some networked location. The only remedy for this, apart from going head-to-head with BOFH's, is to periodically check that the auto-save location remains set to a local network location.

Finally you may find, as I did, that your system admins prevent you from having access to write to local storage except offline network folders. In this case you're stuck with turning auto-save off. I've not gone to this extreme.

Instead I set the location to local offline network folder (despite my own advice above) but it sort of seems to help a bit. I think it all depends on the off-line or on-line status of the offline folder you use. It seems that you're at the mercy of the operating systems determination of whether this folder is offline or not AND what triggers the OS/folder to determine that it needs to write changes from the offline folder copy into it's network equivalent. 

Thursday, April 12, 2018 5:45 AM