none
Unsplitable task RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings,

Is there a way for MP, when you make a Leveling for the entire project, to select manualy only for thasks with resource A and C make a "Leveling can create splits in remaining work" and for the remaining task level it without to split the tasks?

For Example, i hava a project whith a long list of linked tasks, also with priority and in my Resource sheet, 5 Resources, all working resources.

To every single task i have assinged one of the 5 resources. What i want is that, after i make the leveling, MP applys the "Leveling can create splits in remaining work" only for those tasks that have ther Resource nr.3,4 for example. For the other remaining tasks assinged with resource nr 1,2,5, MP should do the leveling without spliting the tasks. Bouth of them should be possible only by one leveling command.

Or is there a way at the creation of a tasks to define it as a  "unsplitable" task?

The problem is that i have tasks that cannot be split, and i have tasks that must be split.

Thank's.

Thursday, April 18, 2013 4:34 PM

Answers

• Hi Andrei,

No, sorry.  The Resource Leveling command options control some of the variances in which tasks may be leveled (tasks with or without slack), whether assignments may be moved (adjust individual assignments), and whether tasks may be split or not but you cannot specify things like maximum number of splits or gaps between splits.

You may split tasks manually by adjusting the spread of work in either the task usage or resource usage views as needed.

Julie

Saturday, April 20, 2013 7:00 PM

All replies

• Hi,

since Project 2010 you can limit the leveling only to selected tasks. So to achieve what you want you can select first the tasks you want to level with splits and then select the other task you want to level without splits. You need to change the level options of corse before each leveling action.

Best,

Renke

http://www.holert.com Project Management with MS Project - Oldenburg, Berlin, Munich/Germany

Thursday, April 18, 2013 4:42 PM
  • Drop the "Leveling can split" field into a task view and select "no" for the tasks you do not split by leveling.
    Thursday, April 18, 2013 4:55 PM
  • Drop the "Leveling can split" field into a task view and select "no" for the tasks you do not split by leveling.

Hi Julie,

Thanks. It works perfectly. Is ther a way to set the maximum splits for a task or the waiting duration between the splits?

Tanks.

Saturday, April 20, 2013 4:24 PM
  • Hi Andrei,

No, sorry.  The Resource Leveling command options control some of the variances in which tasks may be leveled (tasks with or without slack), whether assignments may be moved (adjust individual assignments), and whether tasks may be split or not but you cannot specify things like maximum number of splits or gaps between splits.

You may split tasks manually by adjusting the spread of work in either the task usage or resource usage views as needed.

Julie

Saturday, April 20, 2013 7:00 PM