Restore MOSS 2007 content database on Sharepoint 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• I got WSS_Content database which contains a big amount of data. How Do I restore it on my MSPS 2010 test environment?

I tried Unattached Content Database Recovery in Sharepoint 2010 Administration, but it doesn't work with MOSS 2007 database.

Monday, October 18, 2010 7:19 AM

Answers

• The only way you'll be able to directly bring that database into your SharePoint 2010 farm is to first restore the database into your SQL Server instance (which it sounds like you did), then attach it to a web application (either through the Central Admin site or with the Mount-SPContentDatabase cmdlet in PowerShell). For more info on how to attach the content database, see: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff628582.aspx . The act of attaching the content database directly to the farm will upgrade its schema from MOSS 2007 to SharePoint Server 2010, which is why this approach is known as the Database Attach Upgrade. For more information on the approach, take a look at: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc262483.aspx#section2 .

The approach you tried with Unattached Content Database Recovery will only work if the database has first been upgraded to the SharePoint Server 2010 schema, it doesn't work with databases from MOSS 2007 that have not been first upgraded to SharePoint Server 2010. Likewise, SharePoint 2007 backups (those created in the Central Admin site or with STSADM's Backup operation) are not compatible with SharePoint 2010, so they can't be restored directly into a SharePoint 2010 farm.

Does that make sense?

John

MCTS: WSS v3, MOSS 2007, and SCOM 2007
    MCITP: Enterprise Project Management with Project Server 2007

Now Available on Amazon - The SharePoint 2010 Disaster Recovery Guide. Also available - The SharePoint 2007 Disaster Recovery Guide.
    My blog: My Central Admin.
    • Proposed as answer by James Yarnell Monday, October 18, 2010 1:11 PM
    • Marked as answer by Seven M Thursday, October 28, 2010 3:48 AM
    Monday, October 18, 2010 1:05 PM

All replies

• The only way you'll be able to directly bring that database into your SharePoint 2010 farm is to first restore the database into your SQL Server instance (which it sounds like you did), then attach it to a web application (either through the Central Admin site or with the Mount-SPContentDatabase cmdlet in PowerShell). For more info on how to attach the content database, see: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff628582.aspx . The act of attaching the content database directly to the farm will upgrade its schema from MOSS 2007 to SharePoint Server 2010, which is why this approach is known as the Database Attach Upgrade. For more information on the approach, take a look at: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc262483.aspx#section2 .

The approach you tried with Unattached Content Database Recovery will only work if the database has first been upgraded to the SharePoint Server 2010 schema, it doesn't work with databases from MOSS 2007 that have not been first upgraded to SharePoint Server 2010. Likewise, SharePoint 2007 backups (those created in the Central Admin site or with STSADM's Backup operation) are not compatible with SharePoint 2010, so they can't be restored directly into a SharePoint 2010 farm.

Does that make sense?

John

MCTS: WSS v3, MOSS 2007, and SCOM 2007
    MCITP: Enterprise Project Management with Project Server 2007

Now Available on Amazon - The SharePoint 2010 Disaster Recovery Guide. Also available - The SharePoint 2007 Disaster Recovery Guide.
    My blog: My Central Admin.
    • Proposed as answer by James Yarnell Monday, October 18, 2010 1:11 PM
    • Marked as answer by Seven M Thursday, October 28, 2010 3:48 AM
    Monday, October 18, 2010 1:05 PM
  • Hi,

as John says, you need to restore the database to SQL Server in the 2010 environment and then use Mount-SPContentDatabase or Stsadm -o AddContentDB for the database to be upgraded to 2010.

You cannot add database using Central Administration as Central admin doesn't upgrade the database.

Cheers,

Daniel Bugday

Web: SharePoint Forum
    Blog: SharePoint By Bugday
    Twitter: Follow me on Twitter
    Technet: Ask a question on technet(swedish)

Monday, October 18, 2010 1:10 PM
  • As you mentioned that the content database size of your site collection is huge, then you would have to take SQL backup of the database of your existing farm and then create a new database with that backup in your new farm.

Next assign all relevant permission to the accounts in SQL and then using stsadm -o addcontentDb command try to add that to the new farm. Once you do that, sharepoint automatically updates database schema.

Let me know if this helps or not.

Cheers,

Soumo

Friday, May 27, 2011 12:37 AM