none
PPS filters not working in Sharepoint RRS feed

• Question

• I have created a simple PPS 2007 dashboard with 4 Webparts created in SSRS and 4 filters. The filters read one SQL Server table or view each and are passed to the webpart parameters. Everyrthing works perfectly in the dashboard preview page. But when I deploy the dashboard to Sharepoint, the filters do not load and the error message “Unable to retrieve list.  Contact the administrator for more details” appears next to the filter name.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Monday, November 29, 2010 6:11 PM

Answers

• Looks like a security issue. Probably the SharePoint account in unable to access your SQL Server datasource.

Try running a trace from SQL Profiler. Which would provide detailed information on the error like which account is sent, the query etc.

http://dailyitsolutions.blogspot.com/
    Tuesday, November 30, 2010 8:02 AM
  • Hello,

Which DLLs are you referencing?  From a PPS standpoint, it is recommended that you do the PPS install on each of those servers and configure them with the services that you need on those servers. 

Thank you,

Heidi Tr - MSFT

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, January 5, 2011 9:12 PM

All replies

• Looks like a security issue. Probably the SharePoint account in unable to access your SQL Server datasource.

Try running a trace from SQL Profiler. Which would provide detailed information on the error like which account is sent, the query etc.

http://dailyitsolutions.blogspot.com/
    Tuesday, November 30, 2010 8:02 AM
  • That's what I thought, but a Profiler trace didn't show any activity coming from SP at all.
    Tuesday, November 30, 2010 1:13 PM
  • Is the Preview site and SharePoint on the same box? 

Are you using the default security setup with PPS which uses the App Pool Identity or are you using a different security?  If different are they setup the same (both Preview and SharePoint)?

If you look in the Application Event Log on the server do you see any additional details?

How is your environment setup - single box or multiple?  Are you using Kerberos at all?

Dan English's BI Blog
    Tuesday, November 30, 2010 2:28 PM
  • I have this up and running between a PPS server and a SP server. Now I need to set it up on 2 more PPS servers that share the same SP server, different sites. Can I just copy the DLL between the PPS servers, or do I have to create it on each server?
    Tuesday, December 21, 2010 6:24 PM
  • Hello,

Which DLLs are you referencing?  From a PPS standpoint, it is recommended that you do the PPS install on each of those servers and configure them with the services that you need on those servers. 

Thank you,

Heidi Tr - MSFT

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, January 5, 2011 9:12 PM