Changing a license key within a sequenced office application RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,
           in order to change a license key in and office app, normally one would delete the appropriate reg key - run an office app, and enter the new key upon starting the office app.

Does anyone have a method of changing the office 2007 product key within a sequenced version of office 2007?
    Friday, December 18, 2009 7:53 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hello,

You can remove it from the sequence and set it via the OSD. See OSD Illustrated for examples of howto set registry keys;
    http://www.tmurgent.com/OSD_Illustrated.aspx

/Znack
    • Proposed as answer by znack Friday, December 18, 2009 8:47 AM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Saturday, November 17, 2012 2:38 PM
    Friday, December 18, 2009 8:28 AM
  • [As always, in anything dealing with licensing I do not work for Microsoft and do not even claim to understand Microsoft Licensing.]

As I recall, there are two registry names, DigitalProductId and ProductId ( as described in some kb article that you can look up) that you delete to cause the next launch of office to prompt for a new key.  The key Microsoft provides is used, through black magic, to produce the two registry values which (as far as I know) you can't generate yourself due to the black magic.

If you do not launch to get a small Feature Block 1, then you can remove the reg values created on install on the sequencer (you have to input a valid key to initially install).  Either while in monitoring mode, as a final action, you can run regedit and delete these two names.  Then just don't launch.

Whether or not you launch, you can also remove the keys in the "sequence editor", which is my name for where you are after the wizard has completed.  Go to the registry tab and delete the values.

All of this would be appropriate if you are not using a volume license key (VLK).  It would cause the user to be prompted to enter a key on first run.  They must then hit an "Install" button, which might be scary but should be OK -- no media is required.  The new registry values are then stored in the user pkg file for office. A VLK allows you to sequence with a single key, but activate (a separate step) for a number of times based on what you purchase. 

Whether a Retail key or VLK key, after a while the user will be prompted to activate the product as a separate step.
    Friday, December 18, 2009 1:21 PM
  • yer, the angle i was coming from was more along the lines of not having to re-create my office 2007 sequence every time i want to change the VLK...

so basically i could delete the appropriate reg key out of the package. Then on a different install, enter the key, copy out the reg keys and enter them either into the package or into the OSD...

only issue is, that would also mean that users would be prompted for activation for each entry from then on in.

Is there any way to "re-monitor" once a sequnce is captured ?
    Sunday, December 20, 2009 4:04 AM
  • Hello,

See this blog-article for a good walk-through of possibilities to update a package;
    http://blogs.technet.com/softgrid/archive/2007/09/25/methods-for-upgrading-or-updating-virtualized-applications.aspx

/Znack
    Sunday, December 20, 2009 2:48 PM